• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier Rifle field report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyjk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying I have never had a long rifle before up til now I only owned shorter Hawken styled rifles. And never had a .45 before so this was an entirely new experience.

What a fun rifle. Felt recoil is nearly non-existent despite the big drop in this style stock I was prepared for a little bump and muzzle jump and its a relatively light piece but this balances out well.

Its listed as a 1:48 twist. The grooves are not deep but they are not shallow, I didnt try to measure twist or mic the bore. But the bore is tight. A .440 and .018 pillow ticking is extremely difficult to load. At least with the TOW pillow ticking (nope didnt mic it either)

The primitive rear sight and skinny front blade are perfect, I suspect some with vision issues might find them a little too fine but with this sight radius and my 54 yr old eyes I could pick off small staubs in the river where I was shooting out to 60 yds. Its a natural pointer and holds real steady. Something else I was not prepared for.

I didnt even have to adjust the sights in any way, it was dead on at 60 yds using 50gr of FFFg. I had just brought this along with other firearms and didnt have a rest so this isnt really a good "range report" but I tried it on some targets like cans at 100yds + and shotgun shells at ranges from 30yds to 60. It drops a lot at 100 with 50gr so I started increasing the load.

Even with 75gr the recoil was minimal and the accuracy remained great, it didnt bring up the trajectory / distance still hitting low at 100-110 yds. Again Im not used to a 45.

The set trigger is nice and predictable, there is a noticeable creep when set. Un-set its pretty darn heavy to pull and you cant really tell if it creeps or not. It does need some tuning but over all the lock is strong and fast.

The stock and furniture are all finished very well. The walnut stock has a lot of character, some striping in the fore end area as well. The cheek piece along with the drop bring your eye right in line with the sights. There are no I mean zero gaps in the inletting around the lock buttplate or trigger group and no I dont own any custom rifles :rotf: Disassembley for cleaning is nice too as there are no pins to drive our the barrel and stock are held together by screws through the thimbles.

The metal is high polished and browned. There are some places where they missed with the browning solution and only the top of the breech tang got browned. If youve never seen a picture there is no forend cap and the muzzle projects about 1/2" beyond the wood.

So far I didnt find much to not like about this rifle. I am very pleased with the way it looks and shoots. I'll follow up with a real range session soon off the bench at well measured 50 and 100 at a commercial range on paper. I tried some thinner patching materil I suspect was .010 but it was pretty loose so I will get more precise on the patching if I can find some .015 before I go.

If anyone hasnt noticed TOW is substituting some Eastern Maine patches for the Ox Yoke originals and Im pretty sure theyre gonna mic out thicker than .018. My old calipers (non-digital) aint that easy to use.

Sounds like you got a winner! You can expect as much as a 6" drop out to 100 yards. The shorter barrels seem to have more drop compared to longer barrels.Just need to determine the amount of elevation to use. The .45 will benefit from two developed loads one for out to 75 yards and another for out to 100-150 yards. The two loads you listed, 50 and 75, just happen to be my .45's favorite loads at those distances. There was about a 3" difference in drop at 100 yards by adjusting my load up, but still need to use some elevation.

Patches are made by the same company- new owners. They should be close to the same. Everyone is at the mercy of the cloth manufacturers, however. That is why its important to take your Micrometer with you to the fabric store! :thumbsup:

You could have written that review for my 50 cal flint version. Stellar performer, and you'll be impressed when you drag out the bench too.

I'm not a 45 shooter, but can pass along this on 50 and 54 cal for comparison. Sighting in my hunting loads at 75 yards has produced other POI's of 1" high at 50 and 2-3" low at 100. The nice part, they're virtually right on at 25 for small game and plinking.

You've got a winner there!

Yeah I plan to start taking some pics of all my firearms and MLs I am proud to own it too its way better than anything I could build.

The drop was almost what others describe 6:00 hold at 60 yards was hitting about 1" and at least a 6" drop at an estimated 100yd might try some FFg next time and couldnt recover any patches from the river bank for analysis, based on the difficulty loading Im going to get some thinner ones

FTR my filed shooting gallery is the Trinity River with lots of stumps staubs and snags, and floating debris. I done range finded me few known distances and I plink at a stump just over 500yds with a M1A, its kinda fun to watch for the "geyser" of water to appear and when it dont I know I hit the stump! Cant seem to get my .54 to hit it though, nowherevenearit even with a bunch of Kintucky elevation!

Back