• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTguy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I picked this up about a month ago. It is my first muzzleloader. I have put 50 or so rounds through it and I was pretty pleased right out of the box. I haven’t been able to find a load that shoots terrible but I also haven’t really hit paydirt yet.

Likes- I like the wood. I got a nicer stock than I expected. Fit and finish is great. Everything is really tight and functions great.

Dislikes- Absolutely zero instructions in the box. No explanation for recommended cleaning procedures, disassembly etc… Luckily I have half a brain. The front bead is enormous. It must cover 6 MOA on the target. I bought it for hunting and for that purpose I’m sure the bead will suffice but I haven’t yet found the right kind of target that will help me see the real accuracy potential of this rifle with that bead, it also doesn’t stand out enough I might paint it orange. I do like the rear peep, a lot.

Being new to this, I’m not sure how good of accuracy I should be chasing. I can shoot MOA with my 30-30 open sights. I can shoot way better with my precision rifles. I seem to be able to get a few touching then i have a flier that blows my groups up. I do not think it is the nut behind the trigger. Method is consistent.

The targets shot at 50 yds with various charges and projectiles. Dude at the range today realized I was shooting Pyrodex and insisted on giving me a pound of Swiss to try. What a guy.

Any suggestions on a similar but smaller bead that will work on this rifle, maybe even one that’s light gathering like on a shotgun, or is that sacrilegious? I don’t have the best vision in the world. Trying to tighten up these groups!

IMG_1006.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg
IMG_1005.jpeg

I picked this up about a month ago. It is my first muzzleloader. I have put 50 or so rounds through it and I was pretty pleased right out of the box. I haven’t been able to find a load that shoots terrible but I also haven’t really hit paydirt yet.

Likes- I like the wood. I got a nicer stock than I expected. Fit and finish is great. Everything is really tight and functions great.

Dislikes- Absolutely zero instructions in the box. No explanation for recommended cleaning procedures, disassembly etc… Luckily I have half a brain. The front bead is enormous. It must cover 6 MOA on the target. I bought it for hunting and for that purpose I’m sure the bead will suffice but I haven’t yet found the right kind of target that will help me see the real accuracy potential of this rifle with that bead, it also doesn’t stand out enough I might paint it orange. I do like the rear peep, a lot.

Being new to this, I’m not sure how good of accuracy I should be chasing. I can shoot MOA with my 30-30 open sights. I can shoot way better with my precision rifles. I seem to be able to get a few touching then i have a flier that blows my groups up. I do not think it is the nut behind the trigger. Method is consistent.

The targets shot at 50 yds with various charges and projectiles. Dude at the range today realized I was shooting Pyrodex and insisted on giving me a pound of Swiss to try. What a guy.

Any suggestions on a similar but smaller bead that will work on this rifle, maybe even one that’s light gathering like on a shotgun, or is that sacrilegious? I don’t have the best vision in the world. Trying to tighten up these groups!

View attachment 277799View attachment 277800View attachment 277801
Montana Vintage Arms in Belgrade makes a good one, it flips from a post to a globe with bead.
IMG_5413.jpeg
IMG_5412.jpeg

Back