• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Civil war Muzzloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Miroku still make Muzzle loaders ?

No, they don't, but you can find them. They made 1861s (which are as hard as hens teeth to find), and 1863 type 2s, which are easier to find. They show up pretty regularly. You might also check the North South Skirmish Association's forumn.

Interesting.
I own several Pederdolis and each one is top shelf. Great fit and finish and all absolutely beautiful.
I have owned several Pedersoli's all needed a little work like lock tuning , frizzen hardening , the worst was a flintlock Mortimer 12 ga shotgun . I test fired a blank load of powder and wad and it would not go off no matter what I did , I pulled the wad poured out the powder . When I got home I took out the breach plug , to discover that the chamber of the patent breach had not been completely bored through and there was a very small star shaped hole going through to the cross drilled part of the breach - The breach is cross drilled and threaded to allow the flash hole on one side and the blow out plug on the other , this intersects and becomes part of the patent breach which runs length wise . It was an easy fix I just drilled out the length wise chamber so it went into the cross drilled part , I then ground out the threaded part to smooth the end of the patent breach so that fouling wouldn't gather there and re fitted the breach to the barrel . If I hadnt done that a small amount of powder could got in from the main charge and prime and gone off in a relatively confined space like a little bomb . My advise is Pedersoli's are well made but factory made but need a check over before use .

The Pedersoli 1816 flintlock is a nice piece but it could use a rifled barrel, a 32" scope and a couple of gun bearers.
🤣

No, they don't, but you can find them. They made 1861s (which are as hard as hens teeth to find), and 1863 type 2s, which are easier to find. They show up pretty regularly. You might also check the North South Skirmish Association's forumn.
there BROWN BESS'S command a real premium!! they are just spot on!! and as close to the real deal as it get's! I guess that all of the firearms that they made are in great demand?

Seems like some of you are familiar with the Pedersoli 1861 Springfield so I'll ask you a question. Does the 1861 Pedersoli have a chambered breech and if so what is its purpose?

I know the question was about a repro Pedersoli, but I have a different take on this subject. I own several Pedersolis, Rocky Mountain Hawken, a SXS 20 gauge, and a couple of Frontier Rifles, one flint, the other percussion. No complaints with any of them, fine guns for what they are. But when it comes to repros of military rifles, the difference in price between a good, shootable original, and a modern Italian repro is not nearly as large as it once was. Besides the "Cool" factor of having an original, they are just better made. I have never had a part fail on an original, but frequently have failures with small parts on the replicas. I have an original 1841 US .69 musket, an M1816 flint musket, a "Mississippi Rifle" still in original .54, a "Brazilian Light Minie" with Eagle plaque on the wrist, and my go-to deer Rifle, an original (pic) Colt Special Musket, mfg. 1862. I am not wealthy, but I found it worthwhile to pay a little extra for an original, than to settle for a repro. The difference per gun is less than you think, $100-$400, to have something that has been there and done that. When fellas at the range see me shoot, they all ask, no matter what musket I am carrying, "Is that a Hawken? .50 cal isn't it." When I tell them it is original, they seem a lot more interested. My Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS gets little action since I got a wonderful 1850-ish, 13 gauge SxS made by Robert Chaplain with Fine Twist barrels, it perfectly shootable condition for $350, or about 1/3 the price of a modern repro. Just my $.02.

Attachments

• 20201110_054447.jpg
    20201110_054447.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 39
I know the question was about a repro Pedersoli, but I have a different take on this subject. I own several Pedersolis, Rocky Mountain Hawken, a SXS 20 gauge, and a couple of Frontier Rifles, one flint, the other percussion. No complaints with any of them, fine guns for what they are. But when it comes to repros of military rifles, the difference in price between a good, shootable original, and a modern Italian repro is not nearly as large as it once was. Besides the "Cool" factor of having an original, they are just better made. I have never had a part fail on an original, but frequently have failures with small parts on the replicas. I have an original 1841 US .69 musket, an M1816 flint musket, a "Mississippi Rifle" still in original .54, a "Brazilian Light Minie" with Eagle plaque on the wrist, and my go-to deer Rifle, an original (pic) Colt Special Musket, mfg. 1862. I am not wealthy, but I found it worthwhile to pay a little extra for an original, than to settle for a repro. The difference per gun is less than you think, $100-$400, to have something that has been there and done that. When fellas at the range see me shoot, they all ask, no matter what musket I am carrying, "Is that a Hawken? .50 cal isn't it." When I tell them it is original, they seem a lot more interested. My Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS gets little action since I got a wonderful 1850-ish, 13 gauge SxS made by Robert Chaplain with Fine Twist barrels, it perfectly shootable condition for $350, or about 1/3 the price of a modern repro. Just my $.02.
I whole heartedly agree. Originals are better in every way. Wish I could get my hand on an orginal P53, but two parker hales are better than none. English orginals are special in thier own way. Fit and finish is astounding.

I have owned several Pedersoli's all needed a little work like lock tuning , frizzen hardening , the worst was a flintlock Mortimer 12 ga shotgun . I test fired a blank load of powder and wad and it would not go off no matter what I did , I pulled the wad poured out the powder . When I got home I took out the breach plug , to discover that the chamber of the patent breach had not been completely bored through and there was a very small star shaped hole going through to the cross drilled part of the breach - The breach is cross drilled and threaded to allow the flash hole on one side and the blow out plug on the other , this intersects and becomes part of the patent breach which runs length wise . It was an easy fix I just drilled out the length wise chamber so it went into the cross drilled part , I then ground out the threaded part to smooth the end of the patent breach so that fouling wouldn't gather there and re fitted the breach to the barrel . If I hadnt done that a small amount of powder could got in from the main charge and prime and gone off in a relatively confined space like a little bomb . My advise is Pedersoli's are well made but factory made but need a check over before use .

My question is - how did they get it to pass Proof without firing it?

I know the question was about a repro Pedersoli, but I have a different take on this subject. I own several Pedersolis, Rocky Mountain Hawken, a SXS 20 gauge, and a couple of Frontier Rifles, one flint, the other percussion. No complaints with any of them, fine guns for what they are. But when it comes to repros of military rifles, the difference in price between a good, shootable original, and a modern Italian repro is not nearly as large as it once was. Besides the "Cool" factor of having an original, they are just better made.

I have to agree - just look at the wood-to-metal fit of this lock from 1862 Enfield -

1639755385758.png

they were real craftsman back in the day. also there are good bench made ones today.

Latest posts

Back