• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Civil war Muzzloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLeadSlug

40 Cal
Reaction score
Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with the 1861 from pedersoli. I've always been partial to Enfield rifles due to the stock shape and overall look of them, but finally bought an 1861 to see what the other side looked and felt like.

Inital impression is the weight. Its HEAVY! I hear they aren't as heavy as armi sport, and this 1861 was made in 2020, but compared to my PH enfields, it's still got heaft to the barrel! It points like the barrel is filled with lead!

What's the accuracy like? I've been spoiled with Progressive depth rifling so sizing minies was never a huge issue. Plug gauge mics at .576, so .576/75 it is!

What's with the fish belly hump underneath the buttstock? Haven't seen an orginal with that kinda wood work?

How can I darken the stock a bit? Am I mistaken that orginals came out of the factory with a dark stock?

All in all, I'm really not impressed. The stock seems awfully thick and it's heavy. The rifle it's self seems bulky in general. It is pretty, but I think this rifle will eventually leave the collection for something more sleek and elegant.

Looking at the catalogues the Pedersoli carbine is claimed at 3.3 Kg which is 7.27 pounds , the Parker Hale catalogue claims about 7.5 pounds , the PH about is because of variations in wood density . I can't see any fish belly in the catalogue pics .

No carbines here freind! Long rifles.

Attachments

• 20211210_161519.jpg
    20211210_161519.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 91
Ah , the 1861 is the Musketoon or Artillery Carbine . It appears from your photos you have the three band or 1853 rifle which PH rate at 9 pounds and Pedersoli rate at 8.6 pounds . and once again I can't see a fish belly in the stock . Both makes have 3 Land /3 groove barrels and the Ph a 1-72 twist and the DP a 1/78 twist , The PH has progressive rifling DP doesn't say if it does or not , I'd suspect not .

I have a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield that I've had since 2015. I've owned several Italian repros over the years and this one was the first that was perfect right out of the box. I had to add a taller front sight, now the weapons' accuracy is really good. Its favorite load is 85 grns of 3F with a .577" dia Pritchett bullet. My bore pins out at .5785". I can shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100 yds, no problem. I just received some Pritchett Paper cartridges from PaperCartridges.com. I can't wait to try the paper cartridges, but weather here in the PNW is not cooperating at the moment.

I have a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield that I've had since 2015. I've owned several Italian repros over the years and this one was the first that was perfect right out of the box. I had to add a taller front sight, now the weapons' accuracy is really good. Its favorite load is 85 grns of 3F with a .577" dia Pritchett bullet. My bore pins out at .5785". I can shoot 2" groups off the bench at 100 yds, no problem. I just received some Pritchett Paper cartridges from PaperCartridges.com. I can't wait to try the paper cartridges, but weather here in the PNW is not cooperating at the moment.

I'm in Yelm WA! This rain has been a drag. I'm usually shooting near Tenino or ill drive up to the Capitol State forest. I gave up on Pritchetts after I missed a deer with them. Killed a few nice blacktails with my parker hale and a 566 burton.

Would really like to see the type of bullet your using if you dont mind. I just have 575213 molds with various base designs

These are .577" Pritchett bullets I buy from Dixie Gun Works. I fill the base with Track's mink oil. I started out with 65 grns of 3f powder but got poor accuracy. The skirts are thick, so I increased my powder charge until they started grouping really good. Get my best results with 85 grns 3f.

Attachments

• 20210922_175803.jpg
    20210922_175803.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Would really like to see the type of bullet your using if you dont mind. I just have 575213 molds with various base designs
The best bullet I have come across for the PH Enfield's is a Lyman 575213PH mould with the nose section lapped out 2 -3 thou and Frying pan base plug This a flat topped plug with a thin skirt , Sorry I don't have the measurements as I gave my mould to a mate .

Would love to hear from anyone who has experience with the 1861 from pedersoli. I've always been partial to Enfield rifles due to the stock shape and overall look of them, but finally bought an 1861 to see what the other side looked and felt like.

Inital impression is the weight. Its HEAVY! I hear they aren't as heavy as armi sport, and this 1861 was made in 2020, but compared to my PH enfields, it's still got heaft to the barrel! It points like the barrel is filled with lead!
/QUOTE]

When you slam the buttstock of a rifle over a man's head hard enough to kill him, a slim and trim Kentucky just won't hold up to the task. And when you fire 30 or so rounds of a 500-grain bullet as fast as you can load and fire, it is nice that you have a bit of weight to soak up some recoil. Battle rifles are heavy because they had to be.

Just an observation after handling orginals. I have an orginal 1842, 1853 and Snider enfields converted from P53s. They are all light and maneuverable. Is it due to wood shrinkage or that the barrels are iron? That's the question...seems that reproduction rifles have heavier barrels. My 1842 musket feels like it's not even there.

I recently bought a Pedersoli 61 from Dixie Gun Works and sent it back. Quality was poor. The triggerguard assembly was crooked and there was a gap of 1/8 of an inch between the wood and metal of the triggerguard plate. Dixie gave me a refund and I bought a Miroku 63 type 2 Springfield on Gunbroker. That musket weighs the same as originals.

I've owned Pedersoli Besses, an 1816 which I've had for 30 years, an Enfield and a 61. The older Pedersolis are better than the newer ones in my opinion. Their muskets tend to be bulky and heavy. With the 1795 I bought I had to beat the barrel bands off with a mallet, then sanded the stock down so the bands would fit properly. Just not something you should have to do with a new musket. I sold it and now I have a Miruko Charleville, which is a better musket and weighs about 8 1/2 pounds.

I may be the odd man out but I won't buy another Pedersoli.

Back