• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oh no, the obligatory "Help me buy my first rifle" post!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is nothing that can kill a pilgrim's interest in flintlocks faster than a poor or cheap flintlock.

I'm not interested in buying a flintlock that doesn't work or shoot straight. That being said, the recommendations I've seen on this board (and others) put me at a $1,000 for a first rifle. Now, I know that $1,000 for the primary object of any hobby isn't out of line. But this knowledge doesn't put a grand of guilt-free cash in my pocket. :wink:

Maybe you can find a good used one instead of a new cheapy.

I would be happy with a used-not-abused gun. But as a beginner, I wouldn't know a good gun from a worn-out dog. Buying used guns is for those with experience.

...the cheap imports are gettin' quite spendy for what you get.

I had noted that. The Pedersoli I was looking at wasn't that far off from a custom flint made in TN. If that Pedersoli were my only choice I'd save up more. That's why I scaled back a little. Now I'm looking at a Cabala's Blue Ridge Frontier or KY rifle. They're on sale, too.

Go back to that club and shoot their's some more, look more and learn more.

Indeed.

If I were going to pick between the Kentucky and the blue ridge by pedersoli I personally would go with the blue ridge. For what you spend its really not a bad rifle and I dont think it will turn you off to world of flintlocks. I used to have one and I liked it alot. I also had a kentucky made by pedersoli and I didnt like it. Just a thought

Barrel length is certainly not critical. My deer rifle, a .45, has a 36" barrel. I killed deer for years with a cheap .50 that had a 24" barrel. No complaints from the woods.

Before you invest in an import check everything out with the folks at the gun club. You may wish you had spent a few more bucks for a TVM. As for as the barrel, I would be more concerned about swamped or straight walled. You need to spend more time with hands on before you lay down the cash. The American Locks like Siler are magic compared to the imports this is a big deal. :thumbsup:

The problem with the Traditions anything flint, is that the locks can be okay to HORRIBLE. The lock is Everything on a gun, particularly a flintlock. If you have problems with the lock, it doesn't matter that the barrel shoots straight.

I highly recommend that you visit the clubs and look at and try more guns before spending your money. There are all kinds of good used guns, and more will go on the market by the end of this month as men sell their deer guns to buy Christmas Presents. Check the sales section here. Talk to the members of your local club about who may have a used gun to sell. Check pawn shops. Some very good deals can be made. Keep your eye on estate sales, auctions, and want ads. In these hard times, people are selling everything, and guns are often the first to go, particularly dad's old flintlock. :thumbsup:

Let me tell you something that you should know or maybe have seen on some of the threads here about the Pedersoli or Cabela's rifles. They are built with a patent breech. Not that this is bad, but with knowledge you can get your best performance from the gun.

A patent breech has a chamber that is smaller in diameter than the bore of the rifle. The problem is that balck powder fouling can build up in the patent breech and it can't be kept clean with a normal jag and patch. Fortunantly with problems come solutions and the solutions is a 0.30 caliber cleaning brush and patch that fit the patent breech and wipe it clean. Use a vent pick to keep the touch hole open. And only use black powder. Whether GOEX, WANO, GRaf's, Schuetzen, or Swiss, we have all determined that black powder is the only powder for use in a flintlock. You've probably heard this before and you will hear it again.

Back