• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier .32 cal looks pretty good

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up the Pedersoli Frontier I bought from bluegill in the classifieds here at the local P.O. this morning. I've heard various things, both good and bad, about them, so I thought I'd post my impressions. Due to the weather here, this post will be limited to quality, fit and finish. The actual shooting part will have to wait. At best, I might get some .32 cal balls poured today.

I know the Frontier is apparently neither HC or PC, but I actually could care less. I wanted a .32 or .36 for tree rats and such, Bill had one for sale at a price I couldn't refuse, and it looks old-timey even if it is an exact copy of nothing in particular.

As to this particular example, the wood to metal fit is above average for a production rifle. Not way above, but better than many I have seen. The wood is a bit proud at the tang area and there are some slight chips in the inletting around the lock, not uncommon with walnut, but they do detract a bit from the fit quality. The forestock where one holds the rifle in shooting feels slender enough, but I can understand how some would say it is kind of beefy looking, especially when viewed from below and most especially the area from the ramrod entry forward. I guess I can live with that, at least for a while. There are plenty of unfilled pores in the finish, which diminishes the quality look more than anything for me. All of these things are fairly easily correctable. The wood is very straight grained walnut, with just a hint of figure in the butt. This is quite acceptable in a hunting gun of the poor boy style.

The buttstock, though is very narrow from top to bottom. I would prefer a bit more wood here because I think this narrow butt adds to the beefy appearance of the forend, making it appear fatter than it really is. It also makes adding a patch box later more challenging, should one want to do that. The lack of patch box and brass forend tip in the poor boy fashion make me wonder if the furniture should have been iron rather than brass, but I am just wondering since I'm no historian.

The metal finish is very good. The barrel has a nice even brown tone. The lock is color case hardened. This is probably not PC or HC but it is fairly attractively done. I don't have any major feelings one way or another about it. I'm not a huge fan of shiny brass, but that is easily remedied with either Oxpho Blue or a few dirty patches. The fit of the butt plate and toe plate to the stock are quite good. The shape and fit of the trigger guard are not what I would call good though. I'd also like a bit more room inside the trigger guard as hunting with gloves on looks to be a challenge with this one. To Pedersoli's credit, the screws are NOT brass but are nicely blued steel instead.

The length of pull, at 14 1/4" is more than I would have liked. The LOP to the rear trigger is about where I would prefer the front one...my arms aren't very long. I guess I will get used to it. Had Pedersoli not made the butt stock so narrow, I could have shortened the stock a bit, but as it is, I don't believe that is an option.

The balance point of the rifle is a few inches ahead of the ramrod entry, making the gun a bit muzzle heavy, which is probably not a bad thing for off hand shooting. For one-handed carry, I think I'd like the balance point a bit further back, but to be fair, I haven't carried this one in the woods yet, so I may find it acceptable. Time will tell on that issue.

One interesting issue did arise as I was cleaning the factory grease out of the bore today. To remove the grease, I ran a solvent soaked patch down the bore and followed with a couple dry patches. Once the grease was out, I saw a hint of brown on the patch. Rust? I was concerned a bit, but the bore felt smooth as the patch went in and out. Hmmm? I ran a WD40 soaked patch down the bore and it came out with even more brown, but it was brown, not rust colored. As I was pondering this, I looked at my hand and a light bulb came on! I was using the factory issued ramrod for cleaning the bore as that is the only thing I have that is long enough to reach the bottom of the 38" barrel. The ramrod is stained very, very dark brown but apparently not sealed very well. The stain from the ramrod was what was getting on my patches! I'm working on removing much of the stain and I'll seal the ramrod with Truoil or something like that, which should keep my patches coming out clean until I can get a better rod for cleaning.

Overall, I think, assuming the rifle shoots as good as it looks, Pedersoli did a good job building a rifle for my intended purpose: small game hunting and plinking. I don't think I would fit in with the PC/HC crowd with this rifle, but I have no intention of trying to. I seriously doubt that a squirrel will object, particularly after a .32 caliber ball has passed through its cranium. :wink:

:photoSmile:

I've always thought this particular Pedersoli model to be a good looking rifle. PC is not an issue for many of us as the technology is what drives us, not the provenance. The rifle being a small caliber I'd opt for removing any excess wood and refinishing. I'd also expect it to be capable of fine accuracy. Excellent evaluation, by the way.

hanshi said:
:photoSmile:

I've always thought this particular Pedersoli model to be a good looking rifle. PC is not an issue for many of us as the technology is what drives us, not the provenance. The rifle being a small caliber I'd opt for removing any excess wood and refinishing. I'd also expect it to be capable of fine accuracy. Excellent evaluation, by the way.

I'm working on the pictures. They are uploading to my drive at the moment. I'm with you on the PC aspect. I think I'll shoot it and carry it around for a bit before I start with the rasp. I need to kind of get a feel for it first. The sharp lines on the side of the stock from the grip back don't do a thing for me. I also think the forend could be slimmed without hurting a thing. The finish reminds me of what TC did on the Hawken and Renegade...too much brown stain and kind of a plasticy feel with lots of pores left unfilled. Once I decide what wood I'll remove, I'll do a refinish on it for sure.

Okay, guys, here are some pictures.

I'm not wild about the sharp line through the wrist. The brass could also use some thinning along the edges to blend better to the stock.

Just a hint of figure in the butt. I have to wonder, though what it would look like if refinished. :hmm:

Here's the fat part:

Here you can see a couple places where wood is chipped out where the lock is inletted. One is just above the hammer and one back near the rear point.

And the wood is a bit proud near the front of the tang.

Nothing horrible and most of it is fixable. Now, had I paid the full $750 retail price for this rifle, those few things would be of more concern, but since I bought it NIB for a used gun price, I'm not upset in the least.

Patocazador said:
I've never handled a .32 but most everyone I've talked with who has said they are very front heavy.

I think the 38" barrel has a lot to do with that, but I was looking into a drop-in for my Hawken and figured a 15/16" x 32" would be even heavier out front. This one isn't obnoxiously front heavy, but I imagine the carbine version balances closer to your hand.

The Pedersoli Frontier is the Hatfield rifle which they bought out. Ted Hatfield (of the "Hatfields and McCoys" family) started a company making semi-custom replicas of a handed-down family flintlock.

I love 'em but do find the 39" barrel front heavy albeit manageable. Longer than that I cannot manage -- lotta leverage out there. The price you pay for keeping a heavy full octagonal barrel! A .32 in a 32" barrel might have been nice if you weren't going to change it back anytime soon...

Alden said:
The Pedersoli Frontier is the Hatfield rifle which they bought out. Ted Hatfield (of the "Hatfields and McCoys" family) started a company making semi-custom replicas of a handed-down family flintlock.

I love 'em but do find the 39" barrel front heavy albeit manageable. Longer than that I cannot manage -- lotta leverage out there. The price you pay for keeping a heavy full octagonal barrel! A .32 in a 32" barrel might have been nice if you weren't going to change it back anytime soon...

Hah! It's kind of ironic that I chose this particular rifle now that you mention it's history. According to my genealogy research, I'm actually related to the Hatfields! Remember, Devil Anse's mother was a Vance. I won't be hunting any McCoys with it though, lol. :haha:

30coupe said:
Mooman76 said:
Tennessee Mountain Rifle.

That's an oldie! How long have you had that one. I don't think they've made those in quite a while.

I've had it a few years but bought it at a pawn shop and it was in great shape. I fought buying it but something kept drawing me back and I finally gave in and got it.

Mooman76 said:
30coupe said:
Mooman76 said:
Tennessee Mountain Rifle.

That's an oldie! How long have you had that one. I don't think they've made those in quite a while.

I've had it a few years but bought it at a pawn shop and it was in great shape. I fought buying it but something kept drawing me back and I finally gave in and got it.

Good call! Got any pictures you can post? What is the barrel width across the flats and the barrel length?

I kept being drawn to this one as well. I had a custom recurve bow that I was trying to sell, and I was hoping it would sell before Bill sold the Frontier. Fortunately that happened. I am getting used to the balance. Every time I walk by it, I pick it up and aim at something. I'm starting to understand the reason for the weight forward. It really gives a rock steady off-hand hold, which is what small game hunting requires.

No pictures but I will have to get off my butt and learn to do them. I feel kind of bad about the rifle. I heard about using windex to clean with and wanted to try it. I couldn't find windex so I tried some kind of green bathroom cleaner. It dripped down the barrel and removed some of the browning. Last time I try that. I touched up the brown but will have to redo it when I get more time. I will check but if I remember the barrel is 13/16ths.

Hey 30coupe, I also bought one of those pedersoli frontier rifles from bluegill, He's a good fellow to do business with. Mine is a 36 and looks pretty good too. I haven't shot it yet, (waiting on better weather). Ya know I think mine looks better then yours. :blah: :wink: :grin:
I think we're both going to have some fun.
Fahopity

Latest posts

Back