• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 1777 Charleville

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrel79

32 Cal
Reaction score
Picked up a 1777 Pedersoli Charleville. Anyone have some load data and recommended ball size or any other info I should know? Only thing I don't like is the front nose piece is kind of loose.
1000018591.jpg

Attachments

• 20240116_174255.jpg
    20240116_174255.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Picked up a 1777 Pedersoli Charleville. Anyone have some load data and recommended ball size or any other info I should know? Only thing I don't like is the front nose piece is kind of loose.View attachment 286271
Totally jealous . You might try 11 bang bang Channel (YouTube)got a new video on that same 77 he uses a very heavy load of homemade powder and .64 paper cartridge ball. The son of gun hits a 12 inch steel plate at 100yrds. Don't like to put that heavier charge and as it stresses the gun, the stock, etc. but I bought a mold for a 670 ball that I shoot powder, ball and just an overshot card with 70 grains of one of 1 F Swiss. Keep in mind my ball is only .20 under bore so its not as much windage as 11 bang bangs load. You gotta experiment its part of the fun

Totally jealous . You might try 11 bang bang Channel (YouTube)got a new video on that same 77 he uses a very heavy load of homemade powder and .64 paper cartridge ball. The son of gun hits a 12 inch steel plate at 100yrds. Don't like to put that heavier charge and as it stresses the gun, the stock, etc. but I bought a mold for a 670 ball that I shoot powder, ball and just an overshot card with 70 grains of one of 1 F Swiss. Keep in mind my ball is only .20 under bore so its not as much windage as 11 bang bangs load. You gotta experiment its part of the fun
I do like his channel

Those original guns were designed for 150+ grain loads with more primitive steels. That being said modern BP is better than they had and there is no real need to use the heavier loads.

Go make some paper cartridges for it and see how much fun loading a smoothbore is with them. I make my own with a .662" RB and 80 grains of Schuetzen 2Fg. Sometimes I'll add three rounds of buckshot and make buck and ball.
You'll be surprised about the kind of accuracy you can get from these smoothbores with a bit of practice.

Attachments

• PXL_20230331_184049813.jpg
    PXL_20230331_184049813.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I just watched the 11bangbang episode on his cartridge make. He was right about about the French powder being better than English, unfortunately it seems he has never seen an original French cartridge of the era.

Everyone always assumes the French made their cartridges like the English. They didn’t. They didn’t tie the ends, they normally used a rectangle paper, not a trapezoid, and they glued the seems.

I just watched the 11bangbang episode on his cartridge make. He was right about about the French powder being better than English, unfortunately it seems he has never seen an original French cartridge of the era.

Everyone always assumes the French made their cartridges like the English. They didn’t. They didn’t tie the ends, they normally used a rectangle paper, not a trapezoid, and they glued the seems.
I believe you're right. The cartridge in my post is actually for a Springfield 1842 and it's pretty close to what was actually used. For the 1777 Chareleville in question it would be even easier to make paper cartridges.

I believe you're right. The cartridge in my post is actually for a Springfield 1842 and it's pretty close to what was actually used. For the 1777 Chareleville in question it would be even easier to make paper cartridges.
The 1842 musket used a .65 ball over 130gr of musket (1f) powder in 1842. The charge was reduced by 1849 to 110 gr of musket powder. The only critique I would offer on your cartridges is to not over tighten the strings. See the originals below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back