• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying Charleville

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is what I want to go for. What about these cartridge making kits at Jefferson Arsenal? Are they any good? If the bore turns out to be the right size than I think I might just go for that.

As for the flint, does it not require a jaw pad or something? Or can I just use the flint by itself?

Yes, a strip of suede leather is needed, the width of the flint. A bare flint will not stay put in the jaws. Orientation of the flint, be it bevel up or down, depends on the lock. You just get to figure it out for best performance from the particular lock. If the flint happens to be too long, disallowing the frizzen to close fully while at half cock, cut out a notch in the middle center of the leather strip to allow the flint to butt fully back against the jaw screw. A small gap between edge of flint and frizzen face at half cock is what you're looking for.

You can find patterns to cut printer paper into suitable sizes to form around a ball diameter wooden mandrel to make your cartridge, or the Jefferson Arsenal offering is certainly a good choice. You're gonna have some fun and give it time to figure out what the gun likes. That's what is so much fun about these guns, they require establishing a "relationship" between gun and shooter.

My best guess, based on what I can see in the photos is that it is a Miroku Japanese made M1766 that has been defarbed for reenacting. The US surcharge and butt plate markings have been added. I have one that has been remarked as a US Model 1798 contract musket. These were imported by Navy Arms in 70s and 80s.
This. It’s an older Miroku Charleville repro with US markings added.

This. It’s an older Miroku Charleville repro with US markings added.
I'm also from Lexington. Local supplies of powder and ammo are non existent, it's mail order or travel a couple of hours. You may find a few leads at one of the local gun shows but rarely any powder. Closest public range is Indian Creek off I-26 out of Newberry. I have very little experiance with flint guns but if you want to get together after the first of the year and shoot a few targets or squirrels PM me and we'll get together sometime.

Latest posts

Back