• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India or Italian Smooth Bore French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a Model 1777 Corrigé An IX India made, some shooting, wall hanger don't want to part with a couple of thousand or maybe I do ?.
I have heard some people refer to them as Bombay Pipe Bombs, I would think the steel and manufacture is better then the 18th century barrels.
I some what a wood worker so refinishing and dyeing the stock doesn't scare me.
Also does anyone know what the Boxwood Dowel is on the right side of the stock close to the but plate.

Also I can't seem to find a Pedersoli one, Dixie is out

Any comments are welcome
Thanks
john

Look up 11 bang bang channel on you tube. Very good comparison of Italian vs Indian made guns
I have an Indian Doglock musket I’m very happy with.
It’s always a judgment call.
To some a detail is a deal breaker while to others that detail is no biggie
Lots of folks like Indian guns, others only take Italian, some demand a rifleshop hand made

At the risk of crucifixion I will admit I have 2 India made muskets, they work fine if you dont particulary care if theyre dead on accurate and just want one to shoot

Thinking about buying a Model 1777 Corrigé An IX India made, some shooting, wall hanger don't want to part with a couple of thousand or maybe I do ?.
I have heard some people refer to them as Bombay Pipe Bombs, I would think the steel and manufacture is better then the 18th century barrels.
I some what a wood worker so refinishing and dyeing the stock doesn't scare me.
Also does anyone know what the Boxwood Dowel is on the right side of the stock close to the but plate.

Also I can't seem to find a Pedersoli one, Dixie is out

Any comments are welcome
Thanks
john
Loyalist arms .ca 😉

+1. Just be prepared for a wait of possibly several months depending on their back-log of orders. 'In Stock' does not imply 'Ready to Ship'
Yes sir but Blair we’ll let a person know on the phone when they can have it in the mail ,they are very good to deal with .

I've seen the 1777 model, both Indian and Italian occasionally come up for sale second hand. Including auction houses. But the French and British muskets tend to sell quickly. So, if you're not in a hurry, keep checking around. Also, a WANT ad here on the Forum classifieds would not hurt.

Rick

I've seen the 1777 model, both Indian and Italian occasionally come up for sale second hand. Including auction houses. But the French and British muskets tend to sell quickly. So, if you're not in a hurry, keep checking around. Also, a WANT ad here on the Forum classifieds would not hurt.

Rick
Thanks Good Idea

The Italian copy of the 1777 and Year 9 musket is a fine gun, i woudln’t put it in the category as an Indian made musket. My opinion the best one of this pattern is the 1816 musket, its without question the most comfortable smoothbore military musket I’ve ever handled. The profile of the buttstock has a wide cross section which gives it a natural rest to the cheek, the joining and blending of the comb and wrist give it the ability to comfortably adjust to your profile.

My only complaint about the pedersoli 1777 musket is that middle and upper bands tend to be a a little sloppy with use. The middle band is a clamp friction fit style that has no barrel ridge to keep in place, they can move. The original clamp band had the same issue, and was subsequently canceled with the year 9 model. The upper band is held in place by a screw that sits atop the barrel, this screw is supposed to be luged to a semi circular threaded lug, it will move if not secured. The original 1777 pattern had a rammer spoon riveted inside the band’s upper lip providing an extra source of security, the original rammer was also fatter. This set up was canceled with the year 9 model because 1. Soldiers often lost the tiny screw, and 2. The set-up assembly of the band was problematic.

The year 9 musket is much better than the 1777, much more practical band system.

The Indian 1777’s tend to be very Heavy around 10-11lbs, on the few I’ve worked on the cheek cutouts are too far back and the wrists are a little too long. Locks require lots of tuning.

My vote is the pedersoli, these sell used for under 1000 often, i picked up one for 800 and an a1816 for 900 used. New in the box from Taylors asks for a heavy premium.

You can order these as kits from Dixie gun works from under 1300, there was a fella on here that built a pedersoli 1777 from a kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back