• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying Charleville

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinko

32 Cal
Reaction score
I mentioned this in my user introduction thread, but I recently pulled out my fathers old Charleville. I would think that it’s a reproduction, and it’s certainly functional because he was a reenactor, but apart from that I don’t know if it is suitable for live rounds or how to maintain it properly. The only markings on it that I can find are “Charleville” and “US” on the lock plate, as well as the letter P and number 89 on the buttplate. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4109.jpeg
IMG_4108.jpeg
IMG_4111.jpeg

Sorry the lighting isn’t particularly good, but it’s the best I could do.

I should probably mention that the buttplate wraps around to the top of the stock. This picture is of the top of the plate, not the butt itself. I’m not sure if that was clear.

Easier question is when did your father reenact? Indian Charleville weren't around back in the 80's or 90's. Just a thought. Maybe an old Miruko?

My guess either Japanese rather than Italian. Both are good guns. Either he, or he had someone add the US surcharge to the lock plate, and the engraving on the butt plate. As long as it's clean, they are fun to shoot with live ball. Enjoy!

My guess either Japanese rather than Italian. Both are good guns. Either he, or he had someone add the US surcharge to the lock plate, and the engraving on the butt plate. As long as it's clean, they are fun to shoot with live ball. Enjoy!
Actually the lock plate engraving makes sense, our last initial is P.

Thank you! Is there anywhere you’d recommend for me to pick up the necessary materials?

My best guess, based on what I can see in the photos is that it is a Miroku Japanese made M1766 that has been defarbed for reenacting. The US surcharge and butt plate markings have been added. I have one that has been remarked as a US Model 1798 contract musket. These were imported by Navy Arms in 70s and 80s.

Actually the lock plate engraving makes sense, our last initial is P.

Thank you! Is there anywhere you’d recommend for me to pick up the necessary materials?
Try Track of the Wolf. There are of course other suppliers. Try looking for a local gun shop or black powder shooting club, also.
I got interested in muzzleloading over 50 years ago in North Carolina. A fellow Marine, Mike from Cincinnati had an original restored and we shot at targets in a swamp outside of Cherry Point .

Mic the bore so you know for sure what size ball to look for. Then, decide on if you plan to fire it with cloth patch, or paper (if you want to roll your own military style paper cartridges), or a wad of tow, or a nitro card over top...options here. Once you have the bore diameter and ball/patch selection, then get some FFg BLACK POWDER....NOT the substitute powders....pyrodex, 777, as they do not ignite reliably. A few extra musket sized flints, a bore swab and/or jag, some cleaning patches and you're set to have fun.

paper (if you want to roll your own military style paper cartridges),
I think this is what I want to go for. What about these cartridge making kits at Jefferson Arsenal? Are they any good? If the bore turns out to be the right size than I think I might just go for that.

As for the flint, does it not require a jaw pad or something? Or can I just use the flint by itself?

Where in South Carolina are you located? May be a local shop, a forum member or group nearby that could help, though online sources likely the best once you know what you need.
Lexington. I don’t know of anything nearby that deals specifically in muzzleloading. I think online might be the best way to go.

Latest posts

Back