• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch punch tool?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnut

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I find a patch punch tool so I can make my own round patches .54 and .32

I've seen them made from hole-saw bits. The teeth were ground off and the edge was ground sharp. Chucked in a drill press, they would cut through about 3 layers of pillow ticking while spinning. A soft piece of wood was place underneath.

1 1/8" bit worked well for my .50 cal. I'd try to find a used one as new ones are a bit pricey. GW

mine are all from sharpened hole saws.
i use a 1 5/16 for my 40 and 50, they net out at 1 1/8 inch and I sharpened a 7/8, which works well for the .32

I mount them onto old door knobs or billiard balls and cut into a rubber mat.
I shape and sharpened with running them in the drill against a belt sander and finish off with an arkansas stone. mine are like razor blades!

If sharpened properly the reworked hole saw will zip right trhough a good ten layers of cloth. I use the drill press to precut my patches, running of course. I have a soft wood block clamped to the table to back op the cloth

I found a piece of 1 1/8 id thin wall steel pipe, welded a plug into one end for weight & to absorb hammer blow, sharpened the other end. a few raps with a hammer on a wood block, & it'll cut through several layers of patch material with ease

i use arch punches. the hole saw works too. and i have truned them out of pipe. but they all work better if used in a drillpress to cut rather then punching. much faster and easier on the punch.

Square patches work just as well as round patches and are a whole lot easier to cut.
:hatsoff:

HD

I'm with you dawg,
All I shoot are square patches. Measure the diameter of a round patch. Use that measurement to cut square patches. All you need is a good pair of sheers.

I use Arch Punches to cut my patches. Try a company called McMaster-Carr they carry a good range of quality punches & have very good service. Their punches come in sizes 3/16" thru 4" in fairly small increments, so I'm sure you'll find something to suit your needs. Their web address is[url] http://www.mcmaster.com/.[/url] They also sell a synthetic block for cutting the patches on without dulling the punch.....I bought one & it works well. I would also suggest buying a dead-blow mallet to use with the punch, I bought mine from Harbour Freight Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a round blade Fiskars cutter, a ruler and a "self-healing" mat. Cuts through 4 layers easy.

But you have to watch your fingers, you know, that blade is a razor blade in disguise. Guess why I know it... :redface:

I cut square patches with a paper cutter. Can cut up to 6 layers, depending on the cloth. Also cut
cleaning patches this way.

I agree about the square patches working as well as round ones. I also use the rotary cutting tool and cutting mat. A lot easier to use, and less fuss than making the hole saw cutter. I used to use the hole saw type, but after using the rotary cutter method, the hole saw cutters are setting gathering dust. No matter how hard you try, you will never get the hole saw as sharp as the rotary cutter blade. I cut 6 thicknesses at a time with mine, and have no problem. I tried using a pine board under the cloth for cutting the patches, but find the cutting mat works much better. Cutter and mat will probably set you back a little over $20, money well spent.

Back