• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too small balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPNOOB

32 Cal
Reaction score
I ordered .375 balls for my 1851 .36, which are too small as they drop right into the chambers. I assume I need .380, but is it really dangerous to shoot using them?

That does not sound right. .375 drops into the chamber without any resistance?
100% certain you have a .36 and not a .44? I load .451 roundball into my .44 and it shaves lead from the ball.
Absolutely certain it’s .36. It’s an older ASP made one, perhaps that explains it

Attachments

• 84E8135E-5CC5-4040-A626-433D41EE10EC.jpeg
    84E8135E-5CC5-4040-A626-433D41EE10EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I ordered .375 balls for my 1851 .36, which are too small as they drop right into the chambers. I assume I need .380, but is it really dangerous to shoot using them
Can you measure the cylinders? It’s possible someone may have reamed the cylinders larger for uniformity.

Can you measure the cylinders? It’s possible someone may have reamed the cylinders larger for uniformity.
If you have a set of calipers, check each chamber. Or maybe you have a friend who owns calipers? Last resort, a machine shop close to you. Maybe ask if they will measure the chambers for you. They just might do that for free but even if you have to pay, it's still worth it. You will have a definite answer.

Reading other threads, I’m getting that pietta takes .375 and uberti takes .380 and ASP/Euroarms are closer to uberti. The balls are loose in the chambers, but too big to fit in barrel. I’m looking for my calipers now

If you have a set of calipers, check each chamber. Or maybe you have a friend who owns calipers? Last resort, a machine shop close to you. Maybe ask if they will measure the chambers for you. They just might do that for free but even if you have to pay, it's still worth it. You will have a definite answer.
All chambers read .37

Attachments

• 8287B48D-B50E-47DC-8FA0-EA8A4DCFE4FF.jpeg
    8287B48D-B50E-47DC-8FA0-EA8A4DCFE4FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
But if your .375” balls just drop into .370” chambers, something doesn’t compute. 375”>.370”

Are you sure the balls are .375”? Did you measure them?

If your calipers are even slightly canted, or not exactly crossing the centers of the chamber mouths, or if the caliper jaws are anything other than a knife edge, you will get an undersized measure. You need to either slug the chambers and the bore of your revolver, or (better) have a machinist measure them with pin gauges.

Please get accurate measurements and report back.

Notchy Bob

But if your .375” balls just drop into .370” chambers, something doesn’t compute. 375”>.370”

Are you sure the balls are .375”? Did you measure them?

If your calipers are even slightly canted, or not exactly crossing the centers of the chamber mouths, or if the caliper jaws are anything other than a knife edge, you will get an undersized measure. You need to either slug the chambers and the bore of your revolver, or (better) have a machinist measure them with pin gauges.

Please get accurate measurements and report back.

Notchy Bob
Using the same calipers, ball measures .36, I’m looking for my good calipers. We just moved here, so they’re still in a box and idk if I can find them. Just ordered some .380s

Back