• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Hog Kill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Bowers

32 Cal
Reaction score
Went hog hunting two weeks ago with my son. Killed a nice 225 lbs hog with my .54 caliber flintlock. Shot the hog at 35 yards. Patched round ball over 85 grains Swiss resulting in through and through shot, rib fragments in the exit wound. Dropped the hog on the spot. Round balls pack a big punch.

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Congrats on the pig. That’s a good lookin’ shootin’ iron as well.

Nice going!

But if I go hog hunting, I am bringing my .70. It stopped the redcoats and stop a hog. But I would also carry an unmentionable pistol with six .454 Casull in case I got nervous and missed with my Swiss Jaeger (means "hunter" in German).

Hogs scare me. They get ****** off and run much faster than me. I am too old to easily climb a tree, but motivated? Might happen.

Last edited:
Good deal! You get to smokem twice! Glad you were able to get it done with your some there to boot

Nice going!

But if I go hog hunting, I am bringing my .70. It stopped the redcoats and stop a hog. But I would also carry an unmentionable pistol with six .454 Casull in case I got nervous and missed with my Swiss Jaeger (means "hunter" in German).

Hogs scare me. They get ****** off and run much faster than me. I am too old to easily climb a tree, but motivated? Might happen.
I'm right there with you on that. I'm sure I could break my personal land speed record if a big pig like that was wanting to slice and dice my shins. Probably take my 10mm unmentionable for comfort though😉

Went hog hunting two weeks ago with my son. Killed a nice 225 lbs hog with my .54 caliber flintlock. Shot the hog at 35 yards. Patched round ball over 85 grains Swiss resulting in through and through shot, rib fragments in the exit wound. Dropped the hog on the spot. Round balls pack a big punch.
Great work!!! BTW, who built your nice .54?

I'm right there with you on that. I'm sure I could break my personal land speed record if a big pig like that was wanting to slice and dice my shins. Probably take my 10mm unmentionable for comfort though😉
pigs can run faster than a human.

I grew up on a farm. For showing bravery, for us ten-year-olds, we could run across Mr McKee's large pig pen. Mostly clear hard clay. About 50 feet. Hopefully not waking up his prize boar. One night my good friend decided to run. I held a flashlight on him from the sideline. So he could see where to run.

As it was, Lanny was about half-way across and the boar woke up and charged Lanny. Could not know what to do. I yelled, the pig looked in my direction. I was safe behind the wall of the pen. But he looked around and saw Lanny spotlighted and frozen in fear.

I knew Lanny could not outrun the pig, so I yelled at the pig and told Lanny to run. The pig looked at me, then at Lanny. I told Lanny again to run and turned off the flashlight.

The pig couldn't see Lanny, unfortunately Lanny could not see the pig. It was a pitch black night. Lanny ran in the darkness until he felt the other side of the pen wall, jumped over!

Lanny cursed me at first, but he began to understand it was the best idea at the time. If I held the flashlight for him to see, but the pig would have caught him. We never played pig time again!

pigs can run faster than a human.

I grew up on a farm. For showing bravery, for us ten-year-olds, we could run across Mr McKee's large pig pen. Mostly clear hard clay. About 50 feet. Hopefully not waking up his prize boar. One night my good friend decided to run. I held a flashlight on him from the sideline. So he could see where to run.

As it was, Lanny was about half-way across and the boar woke up and charged Lanny. Could not know what to do. I yelled, the pig looked in my direction. I was safe behind the wall of the pen. But he looked around and saw Lanny spotlighted and frozen in fear.

I knew Lanny could not outrun the pig, so I yelled at the pig and told Lanny to run. The pig looked at me, then at Lanny. I told Lanny again to run and turned off the flashlight.

The pig couldn't see Lanny, unfortunately Lanny could not see the pig. It was a pitch black night. Lanny ran in the darkness until he felt the other side of the pen wall, jumped over!

Lanny cursed me at first, but he began to understand it was the best idea at the time. If I held the flashlight for him to see, but the pig would have caught him. We never played pig time again!
🤣To be young again! I bet a wild pig is even faster. I saw a video of a black bear climbing into a pig pen once. He didn't stay long.

Back