• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pancakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AGREED 100%.

Fwiw, I avoid "fast food" like the plague & have about a dozen locally owned places to eat, that use FRESH ingredients ONLY.
(My favorite Chinese & Tex-Mex places cook EVERYTHING from raw ingredients, when you order it, except their soups & bread.)

In the case of our favorite Chinese place, the owner's wife buys everything possible from local farmers & usually she shops daily at the Southside produce market. = I've seen "Mei-Mei" there several times, picking out produce.

yours,satx

My dad was a great pancake maker. He taught me there was no reason for anyone not to be able to cook,and I had to start cooking at least one dinner per week and most of my breakfast every day by the time I was ten,and to date I have never made a good pancake :cursing: I guess God created French toast for we the incomplentent.

Never had pancakes as a kid. It just wasn't in my mom's cooking experience. Later, the army ruined me on pancakes. They were tasteless except for the syrup...no butter. The troops loved them.

A friend from VT gave us a gallon can of Maple syrup. It got old very quickly, but if I'd been a huge pancake fan, I would have appreciated it more.

Waffles? Maybe once a year.

Buck wheat thin as a 50 cent piece, sweet butter and king syrup, fried eggs, smoked country bacon and hot strong black coffee. When I was younger my pap would make from scratch what he called flannel cakes thick, tough and the siz :wink: e of a dinner plate one of those and you were good to go all day, if you got hungry later on during the day just drink a glass of water. And wait on the evening meal.

Some great memories here.
Unfortunately I grew on Bisquick pancakes and Log Cabin syrup.
My wife introduced me to Lund's Swedish Pancake mix and we love those thin rounds of yumminess.
My favorite conventional pancake is the recipe from the classic children's book "Pancakes for Breakfast" by Tomie dePaola.
Just found a recipe for oatmeal pancakes that is allegedly to die for.

My recipe is done with approximations as I don't really measure stuff. I use about 2-3 cups of flour. It can be all whole wheat or all white flour or a mix of in between. To the dry ingredients I add a pinch of salt, about 1/4 teaspoon of soda plus about a teaspoon of baking powder. I sometimes also add about a tablespoon of sugar. Sometimes I leave it out. Whole wheat needs the sugar more. Some folks also add vanilla. Mix all the dry ingredients together with a whisk or fork. Add a more or less a table spoon of oil, and egg or two and milk (or butter milk). I usually add about a cup and a half to of milk. Some folks use equal parts of dry and liquid as a starting point. Too little liquid is less of a problem than too much. one can always add more liquid. I mix this quickly with a whisk. Don't mix it too much or the pancakes can become tough. Just enough to get rid or most of the lumps. I like a fairly thin batter. You can use more or less liquid depending on whether you like thick or thin pancakes. I fry these in a medium hot fry pan or gridle with some type of cooking oil or spray. Even bacon grease will work.

Watch the pancakes and when the edges start to brown slightly and little holes appear in the center of the pancake it is time to flip them. If they burn before this happens, turn the heat down.

If you batter is too thick, you can add more milk or I have even just added a little water to thin the batter.

Good eating folks. If you use beer, you probably don't need as much soda or baking powder as the beer will help the batter to rise.

I always make breakfast in my house, for years. Weekends, it's pancakes, made from scratch, with all organic ingredients...real butter,(lots of it) and coconut oil, too, buttermilk made with whole milk, and instead of a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, it's a "bountiful teaspoon" of good whiskey - Rye (the best) or Bourbon. And Vermont maple syrup.

The rest of the week it's a Feta cheese omelet for the Wife, and stone ground Scottish oatmeal (Bob's Red Mill) for me (or an occasional fried egg).

And black coffee.

Richard/Grumpa

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH! that's not fair..... :haha:
But very delicious looking....Like a food magazine centerfold.... :wink:

znDE18L.png

Spence, how do you get mesquite into those cakes o' yours? Smoke em?

Just cooked up the oatmeal pancake recipe this morning, and wow, are they good -- and filling.
Mix 2 cups buttermilk and 1 1/2 cups quick-cook oats; add 1/2 cup flour, 1 TSP sugar, 1 TSP salt, 1 TSP baking soda and two beaten eggs. Don't overstir. Cook on a buttered griddle just as you would regular pancakes. Fabulous with syrup; I also blopped on some home-made plum jelly.
Oh, and these are heart-healthy.

colorado clyde said:
I like pancake soup.....

Pancake soup???? Really??? Do I feel a bit of smoke going up my leg? The only pancake soup that I can think of is drinking the batter. I make what I, and many others, consider to be the world's best pancakes but to date no one has suggested drinking the batter. :haha:

Black Hand said:
French toast rules!:wink:
As a follow up on my post to Colorado Clyde, I also make the world's best French Toast. No brag, just fact. :thumbsup:

Tallswife said:
Cornmeal pancakes with lots of homemade butter and real maple syrup, heaven!

Yeah, those are really good, too. But, I can't claim to make the world's best cornmeal pancakes. I mean, I can't be the world's best at everything. :haha:

Another thing that I like to make, and I do a good job of it too, is fried mush. I like it plain with salt and pepper and I like it with syrup on it. Either way is delicious. If I am making fried mush for those who prefer syrup, I use nothing but cornmeal and a pinch of salt. But, if I am making the savory verity, I will add such things as fried sausage or crumbled bacon. It is to die for! :thumbsup: I cook it the night before, put it into a loaf pan and chill it over night. The next morning, I slice it and coat it with cornmeal and fry it up. Ummmmmm Goooood !!!

I have tried it just to see what it was like. My advice is to throw it away. The stuff is awful, absolutely awful :barf: and that comes from a man who could eat C-rations. Pancakes, or anything, made from mesquite flour will taste like old used Dr. Sholl's foot pads...maybe not even that good. :nono:

No joke!....There are many pancake soup recipes....Basically the pancakes are made thin like a crepe and then sliced into noodles and added to the soup. My favorite is Italian, Zuppa Di Scrippelle It is a crepe stuffed with parmesan cheese .

Billnpatti said:
I have tried it just to see what it was like. My advice is to throw it away. The stuff is awful, absolutely awful :barf: and that comes from a man who could eat C-rations. Pancakes, or anything, made from mesquite flour will taste like old used Dr. Sholl's foot pads...maybe not even that good. :nono:
I haven't tried mesquite flour but I hate the smell of mesquite wood... :barf:

Kansas Jake said:
Speaking of coffee, the pot was always on and it was strong. Grandma boiled it on the stove and simply added more water and grounds as the day went along. By late in the afternoon it would about dissolve a spoon.

My great grandma always made boiled coffee but it was really good. She didn't actually boil it, she would put fresh water in the pot and bring it to a boil. Then she would add the fresh coffee grounds and let it come to a boil again. Just as soon as it reached a boil she would remove it from the stove, let it sit for a few minutes to let the grounds settle and then she would add just a bit of cold water to finish settling the grounds. It was really good coffee and was not particularly strong. It was good coffee but if you got some as soon as it was ready, it was hot as hell. My great grandpa would "saucer and blow" his coffee before drinking it.

You can make good boiled coffee without it being overly strong or having that overcooked and burned taste. I know, I drank enough of my great grandma's good boiled coffee to know.

Now, I know you have eaten our rich uncle's delicious C-rations. If you can eat them, you are a man, my son, and you can eat nearly anything. Compared to C-rations, Micky D's is a gourmet restaurant and raw toaster pop-ups are ambrosia.

Back