• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pancakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I brought up pancakes on another thread and not wanting to hijack it too much it makes sense to start a new thread.

I like pancakes. The men in my family usually make and fry them. That included my grandpa and dad. I grew up on a farm and we had pancakes almost every morning. Some folks do ham/bacon and eggs. Others did oatmeal or cold cereal. In our family it was pancakes from scratch. Our family was scandinavian heritage, so the pancakes were on the thin side. I still love pancakes for a meal with any of the following on the side, bacon, sausage, ham, even hamburger (well salted), side pork you name. Occasionally even with eggs too. I love them with real maple syrup or Karo dark corn syrup. Sprinkled with sugar and rolled up to eat is good too.

How about you?

French toast.

As a breakfast item, pancakes are at the bottom of my list UNLESS they are the ones made by my lady-friend. Her recipe for pancakes is very different from the traditional one made in a frying pan. They are thick and more similar to a firm custard than the ones with a bread texture.

I gave my opinion on pancakes as that appeared to be what he was asking. But I did eventually get to pancakes...

French toast rules!:wink:

Years ago i used to make small 'dollar size' sourdough pancakes which were always a hit with my three boys. Stacked up and dressed with real maple syrup, it was hard to keep ahead of them, they made them disappear so fast.

Spence

Grew up staying on my Gparents survival farm in northern Minnesota which didn't have electric.

The cooking stove was a wood burner and had a cast iron griddle that was meant for pancakes. Isä äiti {grandmother in Finnish} made very thin pancakes and a stack of ten was about a 1/2" thick. We usually also had delicious fried eggs from free range chickens.

The smell of the wood burning was quite an appetizer in the morning and her coffee was something special.

Of course, a kid of 10 always thought everything was wonderful on that farm....but her pancakes truly were.....Fred

Black Hand said:
I gave my opinion on pancakes as that appeared to be what he was asking. But I did eventually get to pancakes...

French toast rules!:wink:
Ok! ....I'll confess....given the choice I also would choose French toast... :grin:

But, pancakes are much easier to make....

One recurring theme is "Real Maple Syrup"......
I completely agree....And the stuff you make yourself is even better....Good syrup can be made from a variety of trees....

My Danish heritage pancakes were similar at grandpa and grandma's house.

Speaking of coffee, the pot was always on and it was strong. Grandma boiled it on the stove and simply added more water and grounds as the day went along. By late in the afternoon it would about dissolve a spoon.

Sourdough pancakes are a real meal, much more filling that regular pancakes, but you have to keep your starter up and that means you eat a lot of bread, rolls, and pancakes. It is extra work and puts the pounds on a person, even a young active person. I did used to like them though, back when we did that.

I used to make pancakes with yogurt in them, and they were pretty good and filling.

These days my favorite is buckwheat, and not the buckwheat mix, which is actually mostly wheat flour, but straight buckwheat flour pancakes. I put pecans in them, and sometimes blueberries. Syrup from ripe fruit, prickly pear cactus, or just honey heated and thinned with a small amount of water and some cinnamon and ginger to spice it up. I like maple syrup, but it messes with my blood sugar a lot more than honey or unsweetened fruit syrup. Oat flour makes for decent hotcakes too. Plenty of real cream butter, of course.

Plain old buttermilk pancakes are pretty good to. I like to put a large egg cooked over easy on top of a short stack of pancakes with a couple slices of bacon and maple syrup over the whole thing. Some people like to keep their food separate, but I figure it all gets mixed up eventually anyway. It sure tastes good mixed together as well as separated.

Many years ago we were camping near McCall Idaho and woke in the morning to a heavy rain so crawled into the truck and went into McCall to find breakfast. Went into a charming rustic place and was seated on wood blocks. Waitress comes and asked "what for you". Pancakes, how many, any time I can't eat 3 says I, I'll eat my hat. She smiles big and I should have figured out right then something was not right. But didn't. When my order came there were 3 pancakes about 12" Dia. and 1 1/2" thick. Boy were they good,,,,, but She didn't make me eat my hat later.

Pancakes are one of nature's perfect foods. :thumbsup:

I make mine a bit thicker than a crepe, both buttermilk style and buckwheat. Vanilla extract is a requirement in the batter. In season, I put a small handful of fresh blueberries between each pancake, not in the batter. Copious amounts of butter, real maple syrup or tupelo honey (syrup preferred) and a couple of over easy fried eggs on top of the stack. Cold milk and strong coffee. Thick cut bacon or sausage patties on the side. (To keep this in the proper vein, I use my great-great-grandmother's cast iron pan for the bacon sausage and eggs.) :grin:

Have to watch the carbs these days but once a month I give myself and wife a treat. I would make them every other day if I could. The other days are for steel cut oatmeal with stewed apple topping. And tomorrow just became treat day.

Jeff

Karo is what I served on my camp pancakes and every one loved it. Wife insists on maple at home.

sidelock said:
What is tupelo honey??????
Honey made from the nectar of a Tupelo blossom.

If a bee has only one source of nectar to make it's honey then that honey is given the name of that plant....e.g. orange blossom honey, clover honey, buckwheat honey, etc..etc....

Hi Sidelock,
Tupelo honey comes from hives that use mostly tupelo trees for the pollen. It is usually darker than most honey and I find the flavor earthier, more intense although not as much as buckwheat honey, which I also like. Most of the tupelo honey I see comes from deeper south than my area, dang it. My local guy can't make as much as I wish he could.

Jeff

Pancakes were the breakfast staple of life in America in my childhood days. Many mom's and grandma's fed their families stacks of them many a morning and our house was no different. One of my favorites was adding small chunks of apple to the batter and having a slather of real butter and dark Karo or Log Cabin syrup. Coffee was drank and made mostly by my dad and made on the stove in a big coffee pot and my mom would have to sneak to wash it when my dad was at work, as it was an evil thing and the wrath of God would thunder to wash HIS coffee pot. He also just added new grounds and water daily and you could use the stuff for canoe patching pitch. My wife now makes great pancakes and my four son's, nine grandson's and two Great Grandchildren wolf them down, faster than you can sit them down on the table!

Back