• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Family Thanksgiving Day Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first Family hunt we had on 11-10 didn't turnout as well as we hoped ..My Neices didn't bring their kids out. So We all Made sure the Kids were there for the THANKSGIVING hunt. it was the best bird hunt I've had in over 20 yrs, About a week before the hunt my Bachelor and only Son, Told me that He'd like to go. We would leave home at 6:00 am for our trip to my Nephews resturant meeting place.I didn't get much sleep that night, I was too excited. My son and I haven't hunted together for 28 yrs. Upon waking I had the general feeling that NOTHING was going to ruin this day. after breakfast & a SAFTEY talk from Uncle John, 15 of us were ready. We arrived at 160 acres 0f set aside the boys have Leased. We let Gabby my 12 mo. old Yellow Lab. & Max , Johns 10 mo. old black Lab. out to stretch their legs and get acquainted with everyone. WE were ready 1 long line with a dog on each end. the Kids were great, We set it up so that any kid that was a shooter had an adult on each side of them. slow and easy to let the dogs work( and let the old men keep up) we progressed. Fields of fire were obsevered , Kids got first shot, No one broke ranks to pick up birds. the dogs did their job. the birds were sitting tight, So tight that Gabby started pointing Quail. I never taught her to point. Pheasants didn't get the same consideration, Gabby would just get them up and now. My son got 2 Pheasants and a quail. That was my tally also. All together the group got 16 Pheasants and 5 Quail. We headed to John's acerage to clean birds. the Kids didn't have to be asked to help, they jumped right in and did any thing they could to help..Moms and Wives were regaled with stories of First birds, the Skunk that we ran off (luckily no dogs were involved in that) Gabby & Max the wonder dogs. We never lost a bird that we dropped, A GREAT time was had by all. Mike and I decided not to wait till Evening for dinner. I didn't want to lock Gabby up for what would have been 7 hrs before she got home......A Cold Ham and Cheese Sandwich and a Diet Pepsi Topped off ONE of the best days of my Life. Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner. I'll savor mine FOREVER....Be Safe>>>>>>>Wally

Back