• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pancakes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sidelock- times change but at least years ago Blueberry pancakes were a big deal in the Rocky Mountains. They were always as big as the plate and 2 were plenty and not many folks could eat 3. I was around Yellowstone a few years ago and some guys were ordering the typical bacon, eggs, etc. etc. and I got thinking that a couple of eggs and milk in the pancake batter made them just as good a breakfast.
I may be wrong but I think there was sort of a sub-culture among various cooks in the area as to whom had the best pancakes.
There are sourdough at Dornan's in Grand Teton, Blueberry at Pahaska Tepee, and Blueberry at Montana Outpost in West Yellowstone.

Huckleberries would be more appropriate in the Yellowstone area...half the size and 4 times the flavor of Blueberries.

I've made pancakes with buckwheat in the past and they were okay to my taste, but not a favorite. I've also made them with sorghum flour when we received the flour. I now often substitute the majority of the white wheat flour with whole wheat. I find the pancakes stick with me better, but the mix may require a little sugar or honey to cut a little of the flavor of the whole wheat. Also the pancakes won't be a light.

I was given some mesquite meal, made from the ground pods of the mesquite tree. I've just made a small batch of mesquite pancake mix which I plan to try later this evening. Do any of you western mountain men have any experience with mesquite meal/flour?

Spence

Kansas Jake said:
My Danish heritage pancakes were similar at grandpa and grandma's house.

Speaking of coffee, the pot was always on and it was strong. Grandma boiled it on the stove and simply added more water and grounds as the day went along. By late in the afternoon it would about dissolve a spoon.
Sounds like my grandmothers tea. 2 cups and shakes from the caffeine!!

Should have known that! My Dad was a bee expert and had a lot of bees as I was growing up in the mountains of WV and some of the best flavors his bees produced was sour wood (prime) and buckwheat.

I tried a batch and was pleased. They were soft and limp, more like a crepe, but very tasty, nutty and sweet. The recipe uses equal parts mesquite flour, whole wheat and all-purpose, and I gather that's the usual way to use it, added to stuff, not as the main ingredient. The stuff is very good for you, very high in fiber and protein. It was apparently a staple in the diet of Native American tribes in the area before we taught them to eat Pop Tarts.

Spence

I've been curious about Mesquite pods.

At one time, Pop Tarts and a Coca-cola were the breakfast of champions on the ride to the hunting spot. Frosted Raspberry with sprinkles....

YETCH. - The very thought of "toaster pastries" makes me GAG.
(Rather like breakfast from Mickey D's, as my friend says, "Fast food is as much of an oxymoron as "military Intelligence" is. - It's seldom fast & isn't food, either.")

yours, satx

There are over 400 products made from corn....None of which are food....
Yet the amount of petroleum products we put in our mouths is staggering.... :youcrazy:

In Florida we wrap em in aluminum foil and put them on the engine block- all done when you get to where you're going. Same as ducks.
Mesquite Pop Tarts???

Back