• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Curing and smoking bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got asked in a different thread about curing an smoking my own bacon, so here it goes

1. Call the local butcher shop and ask for a half belly(6-8 pounds) with the skin off.
2. lightly spread a layer of maple syrup over the meat side, nothing gets done to the skin side.
3. Next generously sprinkle with coarse kosher salt.
4. Finally spices of your choice; I use garlic salt, dried onion flakes, white pepper, and different prepared pork rubs.
5. Slip into a plastic bag, seal and refrigerate for 5-7 days, turning over each day. You'll see the juices building up in the bag that is drawn out of the bell which helps to spread the flavor around.

6. On the day I'm smoking, I pull the belly out of the fridge and bag, rinse well then soak for 15 minutes to get excess salt off
7. Pat dry on both sides, and add back any spices you want, I'll lightly sprinkle again with garlic powder then generously cover with coarse black pepper.
8. Into the fridge until I get home from work

9. My smoker is a 55 gallon barrel, I have #10 can set on a grate in the bottom of the barrel. I fill that 2/3 of the way with charcoal, then start 10 briquets in my charcoal chimney. Once they are red, I pour them on top of the charcoal in the #10 can, then set a couple pieces of wood on top of the charcoal; usually apple but I also use cherry and pear from pruning my friot trees.
10. Once the charcoal is in place the belly goes on a rack, about 10 inches from the top. My smoker has 3 valves to help regulate the temps. Two are closed, one open to start, this gets the temp up to about 100-125 degrees, I try to keep it at that temp for about 2 hours to help absorb the smoke flavor and slowly bring the temp of the belly up. After 2 hours I'll open a second valve to raise the temp up to about 200 degrees and then let it go until the belly temp comes up to 150 degrees at the thickest part. In the summer when its warm, total time will be about 4-5 hours. In the winter it can take longer and I might have to go to a second #10 can to finish up with a longer smoking time.

I havent had store bought bacon in 10 years. Simple to make, and really the whole process only takes 15 minutes(minus the soaking time).

Once smoked, I'll cut the belly in quarters, keeping one out for eating, and the rest into the freezer until they are needed.

Thanks for posting this. I love making my own bacon. I too use a pinch of sodium nitrite in mine.
unfortunately it can be tough to find pork bellies sometimes. Plus they have shot up in price lately.
When I have it, I’ll take out of the fridge when I get home and fry up 5-6 pieces for a snack.
Maybe not great my BP or cholesterol but sure is good.

I’ve used pork shoulder roasts to make bacon in the past. They sometimes go on sale for as little as a buck a pound at local super markets. I bone it out and split it. It works well but is more lean than belly. Belly is usually $3-4 a pound or more. My current low salt diet per the cardiologist has put the damper on my curing activities.

My neighbor trapped a dozen hogs about 2 months ago. I took the 2 smaller ones home and made about 10 pounds of bacon from the hind quarters of one of them. I watched a couple of videos and followed the directions. After the curing process, I put the meat in my smoker using apple wood. Came out really good for my first attempt.

unfortunately it can be tough to find pork bellies sometimes. Plus they have shot up in price lately.

Alas in the past in my area, it's not the lack of a pork belly or two..., it's that the folks at the "Meat Locker" company want to sell you a whole package of them, and I can't store that much prior to processing, let alone process that much. So I've had to wait until a guy I know who does specialty smoking gets a package and get a few pounds from him.

LD

1. Call the local butcher shop and ask for a half belly(6-8 pounds) with the skin off

Hard to find a slab with the hide on it now days, but I along with others would butcher the winter supply of pork and scrape the hair off. The hide would remain on during the process of curing and smoking. Later years I cured and smoked the slabs with the hide off, because most hogs are skinned locally. I like the hide left on for skinning off before preparing and use the hide in a pot of beans for flavor along with the cured ham hocks.
Of course now, with the abundance and availability of pork I use chunks of meat and if available, cured ham hocks.
I am anxious to use this variation of the recipe on the naked slab of pork.
Thanks

Post # 1 has no curing agent in it. To 'cure' you must use a nitrate or nitrite or a mixture of them to properly cure a piece of meat. Go to " Playing with fire and smoke" for more information. I have used Lynn's breakfast bacon recipe for years.

Back