• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Packing with grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BK
I was at a gun show at Dallas Market Hall one year searching tables as i always do and came across my G&G only in 44 cal. She is a Pietta. You could not cock the hammer or pull the trigger but the cylinder would turn some. I examined the pistol and started to walk away. The guy in the booth said alot of people pick it up and then put it back down. The guy days "What gives, I know nothing about bp guns". I tell him it is ruined on the inside. "Well what will you give me for it?" I said it is only worth $ 35 to me in parts. "Sold". Got it home, so jammed packed with hard grease the hand was bent as was the cylinder stop. took a day of scrubbing and scrapingto clean it up. I straightened and re-timed the revolver. I do put a touch of LSA on my action parts but i do not jam pack them. Oh and the G&G? See pic below. This is after i straightened all parts, re-timed her and antique her. Aint she a bute.
DL

View attachment 107110
Nope, couldn't happen. According to some grease cannot harden. lol. Great find and deal.

Rem NMA base pin improvement is a marketable item. Appreciate photo
of one 45D. There is a 1858 NMA Club on HR--of interest.

Thanks for your interest. Here is a pic and explanation -
20211130_121124.jpg

This is a combination of the "fouling groove" from the original Colt design linked to the base pin "relief " from the ROA design.
20160713_154803.jpg

You can see the deep groove that would be exactly forward of the face of the cyl. on this original '60 Army arbor. It's purpose is too allow fouling to bypass the intersection of the cyl/ arbor and prevent ingress of fouling.

20211130_121657.jpg

Here you see the diminished section of the ROA base pin which would allow a place for fouling to accumulate. Even though the final design utilized a cyl. bushing, this was left in the design.

My version links a fouling groove with 4 grooves that allow any fouling to migrate to the diminished section of the base pin.

Mike

Last edited:
BK
I was at a gun show at Dallas Market Hall one year searching tables as i always do and came across my G&G only in 44 cal. She is a Pietta. You could not cock the hammer or pull the trigger but the cylinder would turn some. I examined the pistol and started to walk away. The guy in the booth said alot of people pick it up and then put it back down. The guy days "What gives, I know nothing about bp guns". I tell him it is ruined on the inside. "Well what will you give me for it?" I said it is only worth $ 35 to me in parts. "Sold". Got it home, so jammed packed with hard grease the hand was bent as was the cylinder stop. took a day of scrubbing and scrapingto clean it up. I straightened and re-timed the revolver. I do put a touch of LSA on my action parts but i do not jam pack them. Oh and the G&G? See pic below. This is after i straightened all parts, re-timed her and antique her. Aint she a bute.
DL

View attachment 107110
Nice save! Why do I never find these?!

Packing a revolver with grease. Sounds like total BS to me. I take it that advice came from someone who has nevered carried a gun outdoors. Hot they drip, in cold weather they won't function. Oil the blessed thing like was intended and use it.
Depends on what kind of grease you use. There are so many kinds of grease available it would not be difficult to find several that are temperature stable enough that they won’t run in hot weather or get stiff when it it gets below freezing.

@45D

Thanks again for posting the Remington Arbor modification fix.... I just did it to my 1858 Remington .40 cal today (yes, .40 cal... it fires .390 RB thanks to Bobby Hoyt,) and was for the first time able to get thru a cylinder without binding from fouling. My mod wasn’t quite as pretty as yours, but I was happy with it and it works! I just gave the arbor a quick oil patch wipe in between cylinders and was GTG for 24 shots without a hiccup. Packed the innards with Mobil1 while I was at it, too. Next will be the brass hammer guard gizmo, but so far haven't seen any problems with cap pieces...

Last edited:
Back