• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over the gun game !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sold my rifle to a nice guy in Virginia. It left my post office on the seventh traveling to a destination 8990 miles away. It arrived in five days and left there to go 100 miles to Virginia and is still on its way to its destination. Extremely frustrating. When I asked the post office why is it taking so long they said Cove is the answer to that question. I could have driven the rifle to this man in one day easy. The cost was pretty stiff since I insured it for more than its value. I’m hoping that’s not why they have lost it.

I sold and shipped an antique rifle about two weeks ago to a gentleman up north. Cost = $63.00 registered mail, insured for $2,500.
edit: lol! North of the Mason-Dixon

Last edited:
The local Post Office where I live is awful. Delivery is sporadic and never consistent time wise. Some days it arrives before 1300 (rarely), some days after 1800 (the norm), and some days after 2300.

Customer service at the Post Office is even worse. One teller with 20 people in line, with employees popping their head out to look at the line, only to return to the back. But the passport line is always manned, with a steady stream of customers.

They have a self-service kiosk which is always Out of Order. When it is working the bin is so full that you can't place a package inside of it. I caught an employee one time passing by and asked why it was out? She opened it up, replaced the printer paper and it was up and running. Took less than a minute. But I'm sure it would have stayed that way if I had not asked.

They say the same thing, COVID and manpower issues. They pay well and have good benefits, but people simply do not want to work. This was confirmed by a supervisor there who told me that they hire people, and after a day or two they quit because of the physical nature of the job. Sad.

I usually just drive to Quantico Marine Base and use the USPS there. Not even half the size of the one in my neighborhood, but it is always manned, and you are in and out.

OldMaineWoodsman, your description of the post office doesn’t sound much different from what we see at most businesses these days whether it is wallyworld, the supermarket or big box store. We moved to a different home (downsizing) in December and wanted a new refrigerator to replace the one in the house. We ordered one from a great local appliance store. We wanted a side by side with in the door icemaker but need a slightly shorter but available one than usual. The normal several weeks has now turned into April for delivery. It’s happening everywhere.

Most of you may not know this but most of the delivery delays from Fedex and USPS are related as Fedex is who moves most of the mail for USPS and most delays is no help and covid causing people to order on line which has caused such a backup in shipping

Oh, and by the way, they also said worker shortage was one of the problems. I guess somebody’s being paid enough not to work.
Nah. They pay these lazy union postal rejects (workers) 80% of their salary not to come in, if they're afraid of getting the cheena flu. I've worked in the postal system for 37 years. They've always been lazy, but the covid made things way worse and... The newer, younger ones just don't care. They don't dare if they make less money or the job gets done.

Also, no one wants to work because they give all these handouts to people. Cut all that off and it might get better. I know, pay people who ARE working $300 a week vs. the bums getting it and see how that goes.

I can't fault them I woudn't work for the government!!!!!
Is not actually the government, it's "guasi-governmental" and it's not a government agency. Very complicated.

Bad system of training and management, PLUS congress a couple of decades ago, mandated that the PO pay $5B a year towards future retirees benefits. No other company has to do that. There's a bill to end this stupidity (was supposed to end in 2016, I think) and even the unions are for long it. It's a bad thing.

Among other things, this is why things take longer. Be nice to your mail carrier -- they have the hardest job there is. Out in all weather, having to go back out to cover others routes. Hard. It ain't them that's making things bad.

Still, they're hiring for carriers (and clerks and mail handlers) all the time. Maybe some of you that know better could do it part time. 😉 Say, a retirement job.

Last edited:
Most of you may not know this but most of the delivery delays from Fedex and USPS are related as Fedex is who moves most of the mail for USPS
I'm a driver for a mail contractor. We're the biggest in the country. I could go on and on. Most problems lie with the PO holding trips or dock problems. This Christmas was normal, last Christmas was a nightmare. Imagine being held for 40+ hours at a post office to deliver. Cwazy! And that snowballs. Also, right at Christmas, their "partners" fed ex and ups refused to accept customers packages and we had to haul it. Nightmare.

Well, service across the board seems to be getting worse as prices continue to rise exponentially. A year ago, the USPS lost a payment by me to the credit card company. I always mail my payments a day or two after receiving them. Several weeks later I get a letter from the cc company saying I'm late. Never had been late before. I call them, we talk, they tell me to send another payment as this one must be lost. I send another and it arrives a few days after the first one shows up. They cash both of them and take over a month to reimburse me AND charge me interest on top of that. How many times do they pull the same stunt month after month across America.
In December I bought a gun on Gunbroker. The day after I was notified of the auction results I sent the payment, a USPS money order, mailed via UPS Store. Two days later I got a confirmation from UPS saying it was delivered. I waited several weeks for the rifle to arrive at my FFL but no dice. I contacted the dealer and he said he never received the payment. An inquiry to UPS revealed they had "dropped it" on the porch. Seeing as this was a high volume gun shop and nothing gets "dropped" on the porch but instead comes into the building tells me it was delivered to the wrong place. UPS refused to do anything and got a little snippy with me. The post office will not let you even file a claim until after 30 days just in case the money order miraculously appears. Then once you file a claim it's another 30 days till your reimbursed, providing someone hasn't cashed your money order fraudulently. Thank heavens that the dealer understood what was going on and held the rifle for me through the entire process. In the meantime, UPS lost another shipment for me from Midway, which took another month to straighten out. Two years ago one of my firearms, coming to me, sat at UPS for 5 days, 15 miles from my house, before for some inexplicable reason they decided to mail it off to southern Montana. I live in TN. I took the starch out of them at the UPS store when I told them I didn't care what their policy was and that a Federal judge will tell them what their policy is. Normally I'm a pretty cool dude, but they just ****** me off enough that I let em have it. The 12 to 15 people behind me got quite a show. Back at the post office, these people knew nothing. One guy has a smart a** attitude but dumb as a box of rocks. For two cents I'd give this gov't parasite a change of attitude. I was in there 4 times over this money order deal and each time I had to hold their hand, tell them what steps came next and what forms needed filling out. Just to have this guy smart mouth me and roll his eyes. So needless to say, I'll never buy another item off GB. With the new internet taxes and GB fees, I pay an additional $200 on a 700 to 800 dollar purchase. Couple that with payments, ammo, shipping fees and guns getting misplaced all the time and the only one that gets put out is me. NO THANKS!

Back