• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade: Another “damaged in shipment” story…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro Libertate

40 Cal
Reaction score
I picked up this Thompson/Center Renegade (chambered in .50 cal) off of Gun Broker last week. At $325 for the whole lot, it seemed like a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, the rifle arrived with a crack in the wrist that extends all the way through the lock area. The seller’s adamant that the crack wasn’t there when the gun was shipped, and I certainly didn’t see any indication of one in the listing photographs. This is the second firearm I’ve purchased in the past two weeks that’s arrived with shipping damage (the other being a Weston, MO-manufactured Austin Halleck). The seller offered me the option of either returning the rifle for a full refund or keeping it and taking a $100 refund. I chose the latter.

While I’ve refinished a number of stocks over the years that have had cosmetic issues, this is my first attempt at repairing a structural crack. I used Titebond II in a medical syringe to distribute as much glue throughout the crack as I possibly could. I was pretty pleased with how the crack seemed to disappear, but -of course- the ultimate test will be whether it’s able to withstand repeated use. I’ve put a few rounds through it using 60 grain charges of T7 and so far, so good. I’m hoping to bag a whitetail with this guy come hunting season.

I was able to secure another really nice stock I found on eBay in the event the repair doesn’t hold, substantially offsetting the cost of it with the issued refund.

IMG_8828.jpeg
IMG_9077.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9083.jpeg
    IMG_9083.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9202.jpeg
    IMG_9202.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Man, that really sucks. I think I shipped at least 6 TC's, West, East and South. All I've broke down and wrapped each part with a real thick layer of bubble wrap, packed every bit of air space with more bubble wrap and sent them all using UPS Ground in a box that is 8x8x40 which is perfect. They all made their destinations undamaged. I've never used USPS because their rates are too high.

Man, that really sucks. I think I shipped at least 6 TC's, West, East and South. All I've broke down and wrapped each part with a real thick layer of bubble wrap, packed every bit of air space with more bubble wrap and sent them all using UPS Ground in a box that is 8x8x40 which is perfect. They all made their destinations undamaged. I've never used USPS because their rates are too high.
Use Pirate ship (cheap/insured/tracking) did I say CHEAP! USPS or UPS ,your choice/Ed

Use Pirate ship (cheap/insured/tracking) did I say CHEAP! USPS or UPS ,your choice/Ed
YARRRR!!! That's exactly what I use, each time UPS ground has been the best rates, oddly enough UPS ground gets to it's destinations faster than paying extra for 3 day ground. Someone on this forum turned me on to it, I've used it ever since.

YARRRR!!! That's exactly what I use, each time UPS ground has been the best rates, oddly enough UPS ground gets to it's destinations faster than paying extra for 3 day ground. Someone on this forum turned me on to it, I've used it ever since.
I am just the opposite , in my case USPS beats UPS and the UPS is 20+ miles each way while smaller stuff goes in my mail box 30 yds away (PO) is 6 miles away and frequently cheaper ./Ed

You did well on the repair.

I've repaired many a fire lock's broken wrist and in addition to the glue I'll add a long 4" or longed constant thread diameter screw all the way through the break, on either angle below. I try to start under the breech tang area or under a trigger guard inlet. Which way you go and where you end up really depends on exactly what break angle and situation YOU have.

If it breaks out in 2 areas - again, both covered by a metal piece added - then I just grind the ends down flush. I myself also prefer TiteBond III myself as it is water-proof vs. the water-resistant rating of the II.

As such, they'll withstand the heavy recoil of 56-cal T/C Renegade smoothies rifled out to be 58-cal rifles by Bobby Hoyt.

Stock.jpeg

All you guys using UPS, what you going to do if/when UPS checks contents? As far as I know, that outfit strictly forbids shipping any firearms, antique, muzzleloader, or modern. That leaves USPS as the only option.

I've told about every firearm shop in gunsmith I deal with. I realize you like your fancy name but you need to turn it into an acronym.
One outfit I deal with is section 8 armament.
Since I know them well they changed their name on all their mailing labels to, S8A.
Mine is my name not my business name.
Even when I have to ship to another dealer I try to use the individual's name and maybe just part of the business name.

Kiblers return addy is simply Jim Kibler, I just shipped a TG kit to Colorado from western WA, modified the internals in the crate my Woodsrunner came in, no problems there, I also have used an 8x8x 40 or 44 box broke down and wrapped "parts" over the years, luckily without a problem. contents simply labeled parts!

Last edited:
Years ago when TC was still in business I sent an Encore in for some adjustments. It was returned through UPS and the stock was snapped in half at the wrist with no apparent box damage. TC not only replaced the stock but forensic as well said the wood had to match. They were the ones that told me of that coined term!

I picked up this Thompson/Center Renegade (chambered in .50 cal) off of Gun Broker last week. At $325 for the whole lot, it seemed like a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, the rifle arrived with a crack in the wrist that extends all the way through the lock area. The seller’s adamant that the crack wasn’t there when the gun was shipped, and I certainly didn’t see any indication of one in the listing photographs. This is the second firearm I’ve purchased in the past two weeks that’s arrived with shipping damage (the other being a Weston, MO-manufactured Austin Halleck). The seller offered me the option of either returning the rifle for a full refund or keeping it and taking a $100 refund. I chose the latter.

While I’ve refinished a number of stocks over the years that have had cosmetic issues, this is my first attempt at repairing a structural crack. I used Titebond II in a medical syringe to distribute as much glue throughout the crack as I possibly could. I was pretty pleased with how the crack seemed to disappear, but -of course- the ultimate test will be whether it’s able to withstand repeated use. I’ve put a few rounds through it using 60 grain charges of T7 and so far, so good. I’m hoping to bag a whitetail with this guy come hunting season.

I was able to secure another really nice stock I found on eBay in the event the repair doesn’t hold, substantially offsetting the cost of it with the issued refund.

View attachment 299365View attachment 299366
You never mentioned the carrier responsible for those nasty holes in your box, so who??

I just had a piece of antique replica iron shipped by UPS and they notified me that my package was in the distribution center in the next county down and that I was free to click options if I wanted to come pick it up.

No I don't want to come pick it up, that's what I paid you to do.

The culprit here was UPS. The Austin Halleck that was damaged a couple weeks ago was the fault of USPS.
When I was making my way through college I worked for UPS, my job was unloading semi trailers filled to the top front to back, putting them on a conveyer. I would lose 10lbs a shift in sweat for $7.15 an hour plus the teamsters taking their greedy cut. From there they were routed and loaded into the brown vans. I will say boxes were not treated with care, but I never damaged a box.

Latest posts

Back