• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

out of pinstock material can i use something else?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Working on a poor boy southern rifle and just realized i am out of pinstock, is there something i can use from a hardware store or something?

Worn/broken drill bits....up to 3/32" Music wire off amazon. coat hanger....finishing nails....Tom

necchi said:
Music wire/Piano wire,, you can find it at hobby shops,, they use the stuff for building model RC airplanes/cars.

+1

avoid nails and especially coathangers (which are often made from what would politely be called "mystery metal").

Finishing nails can be used and are possibly more "rustic", but I think music wire is ideal.....not as much work as using nails and it's very uniform and accurately sized....and besides it's semi-hard.

Have used finishing nails and had to straighten the length and sometimes adjust the dias. Would rather spend time doing other things when building MLers...but, to each his/her own. :grin:

I buy .062 music wire from Ace Hardware and it's pretty cheap.....Fred

Maze nails out of IL makes some really nice hardened finish trim nails. They come blued and are really nice ,smooth and I am pretty sure they are tool steel

Loyalist Dave said:
My big pins are all 6 penny finish nails, smaller pins 4 penny

:thumbsup:

I've never had a problem with #6 finishing nails.

LD
:thumbsup:
Are they not the same pins that you rely on to hold your house together for the rest of your life ?

Back