• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Colt 1860 army...Barrel marking Colt New York city?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1974 MODEL 1851 NAVY (2ND GENERATION COLT RE-ISSUE)
This is for some comparison. I also had a question and was told by someone in the know. What is the difference between the original and the second gen. Apparently the arbor is rounded on the original and flat on the 2nd gen. Apparently it is a manufacturing difference.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying the front of the arbor is round on an original and flat on the 2nd gen?

Otherwise they seem to look the same. The scratches on the cylinder I believe was due to a loose arbor. Its hard to see but it is the naval scene and was signed by the engraver ( forget his name, gun not in front of me ). Who knows what the previous owner did to it. I am not in the antiquing club to start with. But to do this with a 2nd gen Colt to me is just a crime.
It looks like someone soaked a 2nd Gen in vinegar or Naval Jelly to make it look "real"

I remember 20+ years ago on forums like Parallax Bill's, people would post things like "Wanted: Bolt #AC7974 for French Berthier rifle"

I'd be like, your rifle was probably used for most of WWI and possibly all of WWII with that bolt that is patina matched and broken in to that rifle , if in that one in a million shot find the guy with the other rifle that matches your bolt you should just exchange pics and keep those rifles the way they are
Funny you say that. I have a m1907/15 Berthier, mismatched. Receiver is a replacement date 1915 so was probably a battle field pick up/depot rebuild. I would never parts swap.

Funny you say that. I have a m1907/15 Berthier, mismatched. Receiver is a replacement date 1915 so was probably a battle field pick up/depot rebuild. I would never parts swap.
I used to collect and shoot surplus bolt action rifles, I sold most of them but kept some. Mismatched parts are a part of their story, or "force matched" lined out and restamped parts. The armorers wanted to keep rifles serviceable to re-issue, lots of guys were killed, and most of them died carrying a rifle....... and the French Ordnance Dept wanted their weapons back.

Or soldiers cleaned guns over a blanket or something behind the lines and then just grabbed parts , because 19 year old guys don't care about getting the right bolt back into a rifle.

Maybe a similar scenario with that Colt, Cavalry troopers dumped barrels and cylinders into a pot of old boiling coffee grounds to clean and oil for Sunday inspection , and just reassembled from whatever they pulled out.

cleaning a revolver in coffee grinds? where did you hear of this??
Original Writings , like in the book "Myths and Realities of the Rifled-Musket" talk about using re-boiled coffee ground water or coffee grounds to clean muskets.

I'd assume the same was done sometimes for revolvers. The coffee may have been good at knocking fouling off?

Back