• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antique Colt 1860 Army Engraved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornintheussr

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hope everybody having a good weekend. Just got this 1860 Army (circa 1862). Basically wanted to collect opinions and see if anybody can advice any good place to get vintage or newly made bone grips for it. I don't want any composite material only organic stuff and my fantasy doesn't go beyond Nutmeg sports ...

As for revolver it's obvious that the barrel was shortened and it was buffed and chromed not sure if it's older job or something recent. All matching #s on body, trigger guard, backstrap, wedge and arbor. Barrel number along with Colt Patent stamps fell victims of buffing. Also interesting feature the barrel address was recut by engraver. Had looked through many pictures of shortened BP revolvers hoping to find similar loading lever latch but looks like it's something rather unique. Also not sure about engraving if it's something amateur.

20231028_150731.jpg
20231028_150757.jpg
20231028_150457.jpg
20231028_150501.jpg
20231028_150517.jpg
20231028_150742.jpg
20231028_150806.jpg

Any collector value is pretty much gone with what looks like a pretty aggressive refinish and engraving. I haven’t ever seen a latch like that one before either but I like it. The front sight is perfect, might have been taken from a Model P and sized to a specific load in this gun, engraving looks fine too. All in all, I like it. Probably looked like hell before it was worked over, now you have a nice shooting revolver and it’s the genuine article. Looks like something Doc Holliday would have carried proudly. So would I.

Is the cylinder numbered the same? Pins look almost new.

Last edited:
Any collector value is pretty much gone with what looks like a pretty aggressive refinish and engraving. I haven’t ever seen a latch like that one before either but I like it. The front sight is perfect, might have been taken from a Model P and sized to a specific load in this gun, engraving looks fine too. All in all, I like it. Probably looked like hell before it was worked over, now you have a nice shooting revolver and it’s the genuine article. Looks like something Doc Holliday would have carried proudly. So would I.

Is the cylinder numbered the same? Pins look almost new.
no number on the cylinder and engraver made mistake with patent date

20231028_201415.jpg

It’s the little things… 😎

They took a bit off the diameter of the cylinder, how do the chambers look? And dang, that’s a great find. I’m just the least bit jealous!

I'm usually not too much into engraving , but WOW, I really like this one. Seems like a perfect balance to me. I agree with BK in that I think bone would look really good on that finish. Very nice !
Your photography skills aren't too bad either. Nice work!

Nice find !
Judging by your photos it wasn't originally engraved, that was done after it was buffed & then plated.
I shoot my original Colts & Remingtons.
Looks like yours has a very shootable bore, if it was mine & the timing is good I would replace the nipples & shoot it.
You can find replacement grips on Ebay.
Relic shooter

That spring plunger on the loading lever looks like someone's copy of the Ruger older army setup.

Nice piece, and would look great with bone or ivory ($$) grips.
thank you Rawhide67, I almost lost my sleep bcos I could not remember where I had seen spring plunger like that. Ruger Old Army that's absolutely correct. So this whole alternation was most probably done in second part of 20th century

He also added the front sight? It doesn't look like any old colts I have seen.. It is still a nice piece.
I’ve done this many times. The sight for the Open Top conversion revolver is taller than the percussion Colt sight and so is the Model P sight. Leaving much available to be filed down for perfect point of aim accuracy.

Back