• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin sandwich

36 Cl.
Reaction score
picked up a nice musket the other day but now cant find caps without dropping 150 bucks with minimum order and fees involved . my choices now seem pay the money, use reenactment caps or convert to #11 percushion caps.i did find some caps for around 75 bucks for 200 but that still seems ridiculous. what are yall guys using and whats your thoughts on reenactment caps vs percushion caps.

Yikes! BTW, what is the musket, you know we are curious! Don't know your location, but it can't be all that bad? Some help will be on this site no doubt.

Yeah i saw grafs earlier .... minimum 40 dollar purchase . So that means two tins at 39 a piece for a total of 115 bucks with fees . I dont need 500 caps . I could do 1 tin and find something for a dollar lol ...thats still 80 bucks for 250 caps with fees . I guess it is what it is . Anybody have experience shooting reenactment cap for live rounds ? Seen mixed reviews .

If you don't want to pay, you don't get to play. Everybody knows the prices for stuff is ridiculous these days, but "It is what it is"! No one cares if you "only need 1 tin". $80 is not a fortune. Just my "opinion", which is what you asked for! I have been able to find what I need. It's not that hard.

I bought a couple tins of musket caps just today at my local farm supply store. You just have to look around, I think. They're out there. I previously bought a couple tins online, but had to pay a hazmat shipping fee. Call around to the gun stores in your area. Good luck on hitting your jackpot!!

If you live near Fayetteville or Dunn, NC there are groups that I’m sure will have a member with musket caps, and knowledge on the musket you’ve purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you keep looking and wait a little some of the online vendors will have a no hazmat fee sale

I actually saw some musket caps at Cabellas the other day. They were maybe $15? That seems a lot better price than you are seeing. Also KY gun co has them. And I picked up another tin of #11 caps from Walmart last week. So those are still out there.

My local wal mart has the same 5 retired bozos that hang out in sporting goods and buy any and all caps they can get.they don’t even target shoot, they are convinced caps will be so rare that they can charge what they want.

I have shot the CCI Reenactor musket caps to a limited extent. They worked alright for me, but I mainly just shoot for fun, meaning my hunting days are behind me and I've never been a serious threat to the competition on the target range. I don't recall any failures to fire due to weak caps. If the caps detonate the powder charge, I call it good. They are reportedly not as "hot" as standard musket caps, and at least one of the master shooters on this forum has found his accuracy diminishes when using the Reenactor caps. One thing to consider, though, is that real black powder lights up easier than the substitutes, such as Pyrodex or 777. The "pellets" are the worst of all. If you use the Reenactor musket caps, I would strongly recommend that you use real black powder.

A couple of the fellows have suggested places to buy caps in North Carolina. It may be worth a drive to get some powder and caps, and you won't have to pay for shipping or Hazmat. You might also look for gun shows in your area. You can sometimes find what you need at the larger shows.

If you can't buy caps and powder locally, buying online is probably your best option. I just checked on the Graf & Sons website, and they currently have every granulation of Scheutzen and Swiss black powder, CCI Reenactor musket caps, Scheutzen musket caps (which are cheaper than the Reenactor caps) and RWS 1075 (essentially #11) caps all in stock. Their prices are fair and their service is excellent. They have a flat fee of $12.95 for shipping, and their Hazmat charge is $23.50. In today's marketplace, those fees are very reasonable.

It sounds as if you are on a limited budget. However, one way to look at this is as an investment. You might not need 1,000 caps right now, but they are not going to get any cheaper, and if you can find the money to order them now, you'll come out ahead when the next price increase hits, and you'll still be shooting when the next shortage comes.

Good luck, my friend.

Notchy Bob

Everybody knows the prices for stuff is ridiculous these days, but "It is what it is"! No one cares if you "only need 1 tin". $80 is not a fortune. Just my "opinion", which is what you asked for! I have been able to find what I need.
IMG_6741.jpeg

Everybody knows the prices for stuff is ridiculous these days. $80 is not a fortune. Just my "opinion", which is what you asked for! I have been able to find what I need. . It's not that hard.
no way to treat anyone, no less a new guy. if $80.00 is no big deal to you , buy 'em for the guy. ;)

I agree with whomever advised that if you can squeeze out the money for the 500 it would be a good idea. As they said, then you will have them on hand and they aren't going to get cheaper.
I'm sure you thought of this already, but, is there anyone you know that you could split the order with?

Someone mentioned a punch to make caps yourself. A friend of mine just got one and seems pretty satisfied with it so far,,, and he is very,,, um,,, particular. I'm not sure if they have a musket cap size one, but worth checking.

picked up a nice musket the other day but now cant find caps without dropping 150 bucks with minimum order and fees involved . my choices now seem pay the money, use reenactment caps or convert to #11 percushion caps.i did find some caps for around 75 bucks for 200 but that still seems ridiculous. what are yall guys using and whats your thoughts on reenactment caps vs percushion caps.

You should come shoot with us in the North South Skirmish Association. No shortage of either real black powder or musket caps.

If you're interested, I'm in NC

Back