• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Seven..you owe yourself a 1lb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a big shortage of good Black powder in my area. Even with the hazmat fees i paid out $38 a pound for T7 in both 2f n 3f. I use it in my inline T/C Blk. Dia. 50 cal, also in my T/C 45 Hawken n my Renegade 54 cal. I duplex with my only black powder Goex 3f in my Traditions Hawken 50 flintlock n my Pedersoli 45 cal flintlock. I never have a crud ring, i never shoot over 85 gr in my ML's. 2 things i know about it is it fires when i use it n usually 2 holes in tick toters in & out

Thx brokenbear. I do understand the difference between 2f and 3f.....in black powder. And also why most folks shoot larger granulation in larger calibers, ie 2f in .54-.62, 3f in .32-.45. I see .50cal as really "not caring" whether it's fed 2f or 3f, as that's my experience.

But I was asking about granulated 777, which you strongly advocated 3f over 2f. I don't know why, and am not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious, as if I ever DO buy a pound, why i SHOULD choose 3f over 2f for my .50cal guns. I use 2f BP, why should I use 3f 777?

Thx brokenbear. I do understand the difference between 2f and 3f.....in black powder. And also why most folks shoot larger granulation in larger calibers, ie 2f in .54-.62, 3f in .32-.45. I see .50cal as really "not caring" whether it's fed 2f or 3f, as that's my experience.

But I was asking about granulated 777, which you strongly advocated 3f over 2f. I don't know why, and am not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious, as if I ever DO buy a pound, why i SHOULD choose 3f over 2f for my .50cal guns. I use 2f BP, why should I use 3f 777?
Check this post: Hodgens Triple 7 ?

We are finding the 3F T7 lights off better than 2F with the fines in it and it is more energetic volume for volume compared with 3F black powder and therefore reduce the VOLUME of 3F T7 by about 6 to 8% is recommended.
The above is painting with a broad brush as the firearm ANY powder is used ..its ignition system, caliber, barrel length, paper target/elk etc etc all enter into how ANY powder is deployed and in what amounts ..
For example using myself ..busted up shoulders ..I have had to change out regular length rifles that behaved nicely as to accuracy, fouling and loading ease with 2F BP (2F burns longer down the barrel hence long barrels)
The shorter carbine/hawken/musketoon (large bore) types will work ok with 2f but in many instances even better with 3F which burns faster (needing less barrel length) to achieve the desired velocity
Now plug in T7 3F into the equation and you have a powder that is very fast to burn in short barrels achieving full velocities burns with minimal fouling can move through out the caliber and platforms (rifle pistol) merely by adjusting the powder charge to circumstances ..
The powder is not magic ..you still have to test to find the correct for weapon all the other things that make it a ragged hole shooter

Bear

I started using T7 right after it came out. This coincided with a 1:28 barrel I put on my old TC Hawken. I got good results with T7 and conicals. When I got my LHR Redemption inline, I stuck with T7.

I eventually put the original barrel back on the TC Hawken and went back to shooting patched roundball. I've tried BP, Pyrodex, and T7 out of it, and find BP is really the best for that arm.

The one thing you must remember with T7 is the crud ring. It is real. It is a monster that has to be dealt with. It will consume your jag and your rod until you figure out how to conquer it. With the LHR Redemption, I switched to T7 primers. On the Hawken, I had to use MooseMilk doped with Simple Green, and be ready with some light oil if it got stuck.

I like Pyrodex Select. It is 2F in size and gives me perfect ignition. Hodgdon says "select" has more even sized kernels and thus burns more even shot to shot.. I also use Select in my BP/Pyrodex duplex loads.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Back