• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My favorite rifle is a TC Hawkins percussion. However since my path has embraced flintlocks ... maybe I should say my new addiction ... I have converted my Renegade from percussion to flintlock with much success and enjoyment.

My desire is to take the Hawkins and purchase another L&R flintlock and proceed to convert it to flint. Cant stand the scarce availability of these little caps as well as the way over price they demand now for them.

Besides there is no finesse involved in simple cap guns ... and then there is the possibility of finding corts to chip into an ignition source.

The thing that bothers is that there does not seem to be historic evidence of a half stocked rifle being flintlock. There is where my rub is in converting this most excellent rifle. It now wears a GM 54 cal barrel and most of the brass is blackened. She is very purdy.

You'll find a lot of original half stock flinters on the internet.

And some beautiful modern half stock flinters on this forum.

I believe there is a thread dedicated to half stock flinters.

Well worth the look.

Hawken half stock flintlocks rifles are a figment of modern day dreaming.

Read the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors newsletters on line and you find many half stock flintlocks.

The T/C Hawken and its ilk are essentially commercialized Ohio style rifles.

You'll need a flint breech plug for your conversion, or find a complete flint barrel assembly. Have you priced these lately?

Read the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors newsletters on line and you find many half stock flintlocks.

The T/C Hawken and its ilk are essentially commercialized Ohio style rifles.

You'll need a flint breech plug for your conversion, or find a complete flint barrel assembly. Have you priced these lately?
Yes. I have priced those barrels ... frightful! I have whittled down the TC oem barrel plugs three times. It is tricky but by going slow, thinking your way out of trouble and being able to instal a plug, followed by correct drilling the proper hole for a flash liner then hogging out the interior af the breechplug and polishing this ... my renegade fires everytime reliably and the L&R lock works like a charm. Be way easier if the breech plugs for flintlocks were available , sure take a lot less time.

I did look back at the "halfstock flintlock" and found it an interesting read, especially the post from " notchy bob".

I have done a Renegade overhaul with an L&R lock and new old stock flint TC kit barrel that I picked up off eBay for $60, a stock with all the hardware for $60 plus various parts like and under rib and screws, I still had $410 in the gun. I sold this rifle to a friend; it has never been fired and he doesn't want to sell it.

Lately I did a complete overhaul of a rough TC Hawkens stock less the barrel but everything else. I added a new drop in GM barrel and had $510 in the rifle and a couple of weeks work.

Like you, this is what I wanted, the price and work didn't factor in.

Hawken half stock flintlocks rifles are a figment of modern day dreaming.
However, there are many English half stock sporting rifles in flintlock configuration. Henry made a half stock, scroll guard flintlock rifle for the Plains trade. I think Leman may have also made such a rifle. You just won't find any Hawken half stock rifles in flintlock.

I have a T.C. Hawken flintlock , that came from the factory as flintlock. You will need to change the breech plug to go from percusion to flint. I found it cheaper to just buy one already in Flint than to get a new lock and breechplug.

However, there are many English half stock sporting rifles in flintlock configuration. Henry made a half stock, scroll guard flintlock rifle for the Plains trade. I think Leman may have also made such a rifle. You just won't find any Hawken half stock rifles in flintlock.
Yes this has been my observation as well. Maybe my descriptor should have been "half stocked" instead of "hawkins". These super lookin halfstock flintlocks are very fetching to me.

Back