• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oils?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait until she is out of the house. Dump it all in a bottle with a newer date. Or, remove the expiration date. The oil is perfectly good.

The expiration date thing is mostly about selling you new stuff. Nurses are really bad about this. Because supplies have an expiration date they must be thrown away after or really bad stuff comes down from above. Nobody cares if the gauze or gloves are perfectly good, throw them away and get new. It is part of the QC program. Other business that must have traceability concerns do this too.

Expiration dates have always been arbitrary. But that is changing. My daughter works in the food industry (at a high level with or company). She say Congress is working on legislation that will accurately reflect the useful, and safe, dates for food.
Like that is going to work well lol. The government is here to save the day!

Wait until she is out of the house. Dump it all in a bottle with a newer date. Or, remove the expiration date. The oil is perfectly good.

The expiration date thing is mostly about selling you new stuff. Nurses are really bad about this. Because supplies have an expiration date they must be thrown away after or really bad stuff comes down from above. Nobody cares if the gauze or gloves are perfectly good, throw them away and get new. It is part of the QC program. Other business that must have traceability concerns do this too.
I just consolidated more than a dozen job site first aid kits into 3 fully stocked units. These expiration dates are misleading, everything from all the leftover kits were still in perfect working order. I opened quite a few band aids to check them as they are most frequently used. I think they got stickier with age. Of coarse they want us to throw our stuff away and re supply! it’s marketing.

I'm sure I'm not only one on here that remembers when food didn't have expiration dates? I believe it started in early 70's ? It was a government mandate to put date on food,before that I guess enough folks had good horse sense. If it stinks,don't look or taste right it goes to dogs,hogs or chickens,if can puffed up or rusted through it goes to dogs,hogs or chickens, everything else we eat😁

I have olive oil that's 5 years old, I use it for lube and to preserve metal. You will know when it has "expired" by the smell. Vegetable oil is the least stable, it hydrogenated. Canola and olive oil might be ok mixed, I am not sure.

Yep, fish fry and hush puppies with some French fries thrown in the mix maybe a bit of cole slaw also, once the fry is done toss the oil. Or if you have a dirt or gravel driveway sprinkle it there.

The oils never go bad. I have used vegetable oil that was more than 10 years old, and would happily use older stuff. Most of the so-called 'expiry' dates are on there to support the food industry replacing products that are essentially non-expiring. In France, it is illegal to destroy edible foodstuffs regardless of the expiry or 'best before' dates.

The oils never go bad. I have used vegetable oil that was more than 10 years old, and would happily use older stuff. Most of the so-called 'expiry' dates are on there to support the food industry replacing products that are essentially non-expiring. In France, it is illegal to destroy edible foodstuffs regardless of the expiry or 'best before' dates.
I do not find that true of extra virgin olive oil. The bottle should have a harvest date. I think it starts to go downhill 12 months later and, by 18 months is unpalatable. Bear in mind I am not cooking with it. Use it on salads, tomatoes, with herbs for a bread dip, etc.

Mix it with gasoline and use it in an old Mercedes Benz w123 and older
One of my good friends is a penny squeezing German who owns an injector pump shop here in town. In the winter time he heats up salvaged peanut oil on the woodstove in the shop, and mixes it with diesel. If you ever get behind his Isuzu Pup, it always smells like it's running on french fries.

I do not find that true of extra virgin olive oil. The bottle should have a harvest date. I think it starts to go downhill 12 months later and, by 18 months is unpalatable. Bear in mind I am not cooking with it. Use it on salads, tomatoes, with herbs for a bread dip, etc.
Could be true of OO, I don't get it in big containers, so it's not around for long. I think most 'salad' oils, if spread thin, will turn into a sort of gel like linseed oil does.

Latest posts

Back