• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd place Chicken and Dumplins.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher Jeremy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So the wife and I decided to enter the cast Iron cooking contest at the Heart of the Earth rondy in Pipestone Mn, We decided to make Chicken and Dumplings, knowing that we make a darn good version of the dish, and that the dish is loved by almost everyone.
We started by sweating a large onion in olive oil,in our 4qt dutch oven, then adding a couple of cloves of minced garlic. we than added a three large bone in chicken breasts, and about five thighs, seasoning with salt and pepper. We covered them in chicken stock, and hung the pot on our tri-pod simmering them for several hours (4-5) until the meat quit literally fell off the bone. After fishing out the bones we added a bag of frozen mixed veg,(peas, green beans, sweet corn, and diced carrots) and lowered the pot a bit so the pot would come to a full boil. When the pot was a boiling, we began to drop in the dumplings, which the wife made using the Bisquick drop biscuit recipe, allowing them to boil until light and fluffy, and fully cooked. (Caution, they will puff up so if your trying this recipe, leave room in the pot for expansion)
People kept coming up to us and telling us how much they loved our dish, and asking how we got such light and airy dumplings. As to why we got 2nd place and not 1st, well, the winner went to quite literally the best pork ribs I have ever tried, and the moment I bit into one, I know who the winner was. :bow:

Please excuse the brain fart, the name of the event was Love of the Land, and not Heart of the Earth. :doh: Please don't hold it against me and cast me out of the forum or something. :rotf:

sounds tasty, squirrel and dumplings is also good - sans veggys. make egg dumplings useing some broth from the simmering squacks

Do you have that Bisquick drop biscit recipe. Sorry about the bad spelling..... That sounds a lot like my grandmas recipe, and it was a doozer.

add a beaten egg and some of the chicken broth to the dumpling dough and a bit of rubbed sage if you have. plus of course a healthy dose of balck pepper.

Blizzard of 93 said:
add a beaten egg and some of the chicken broth to the dumpling dough and a bit of rubbed sage if you have. plus of course a healthy dose of black pepper.
I added onion (chopped fine), parsley, salt & pepper (or cayenne).

Latest posts

Back