• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oils?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bright idea to mix my rancid oils with charcoal starter fluid and just burn it off in my barbeque on BBQ days.

Bad idea.

The smoke and smell isn't worth the effort. Perhaps during a bonfire or outdoor fire pit, but I suspect that the smoke would make the fire uncomfortable enough to nix the idea.

This sounds odd but I put cooking oil both old and reclaimed after a good straining in my 40-year-old diesel Mercedes. Mixes just fine with diesel from the pump and no issues. I have read that the diesel engine was developed by the Germans to run on vegetable oil as they had no natural oil supplies. When I lived in California I joined "BUG". The Biodiesel Users Group. We had a deal where a member had a straining facility and a couple of trucks. If you volunteered to help pick up the old cooking oil at fast food places you could buy burnable fuel for 25 cents a gallon. If you didn't volunteer it would cost you $1 a gallon. Cheap fuel! Great for the environment as well! (Which is what I thought California was all about.) The state of California got wind of this and realized it was an underground program and they were not getting any tax revenue. So, they declared it a hazardous substance and we got shut down. Now biofuels is a big industry. Kind of stinks. But anyway, burn it in a diesel engine!

Burning vegetable oils in diesel engines will work only with an old prechamber diesel, but not with a modern direct injektion diesel.

Modern direct injection diesel engines can only be operated with vegetable oil if they have been converted to a 2-tank system.

It needs pure diesel fuel to start the engine and then switch to vegetable oil when the engine is warm. Before turning off the engine, the system must then be flushed again with diesel for a few minutes.

I got a lot of comments but never did get an answer, can various oils be mixed?
Yes different cooking oils can be mixed. It will alter each oils smoke point and together. It will however alter the smoke points and taste/smell of the individual oils. If it is all oil of the same type (corn, olive, peanut) then that is not even an issue.
If tour oil doesn’t smell or taste bad, I’d use it mixed or unmixed.

I sometimes use old vegetable oil for caring garden tools. It is o.k. for the wooden parts and will also stop rust for a while when storing the tools for the winter.

I just consolidated more than a dozen job site first aid kits into 3 fully stocked units. These expiration dates are misleading, everything from all the leftover kits were still in perfect working order. I opened quite a few band aids to check them as they are most frequently used. I think they got stickier with age. Of coarse they want us to throw our stuff away and re supply! it’s marketing.
I remember being issued with WW1 Field Dressings in 1953/54, today’s worriers would have a fit.

Yup, had the same experience, Grenadier, went into Army in 1975, had C-rations issued through 1979. We got an issue of old Nam LRP dehydrated rations, thought we had died and gone to heaven with them!!

When I was working part-time for the Carmel parks I would drive by a farm that sold eggs. Many times I had a co-worker with me, a younger woman in her late 30's. I would stop and get 2 dozen eggs then put them in the back seat for the rest of the day she thought I was crazy for not putting them a cooler of some kind. She also said she would only buy eggs from a supermarket, they were more safe to eat. I have eaten can food that was close to a year out date many times, more than one time over a year out of date

Unwashed and unrefrigerated eggs can last several weeks and longer without refrigeration. Grocery store eggs need to be refrigerated because they have been washed and refrigerated. Either way they won’t likely spoil in a day or two.

Latest posts

Back