• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Odd question about grips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogerm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently built 2 holsters for my own use. This was my 1st attempt at holster making and they came out ok for my 1st shot I think.
NOW I want to change the grips on my pocket Colt from the wood to a white or off white grip of some sort.
BUT , I want to make them also.I know I can buy new ones but I enjoy doing it myself.
Now to my question
What can I use for grip material? some sort of polymer? or something like that?
Something I can pour into a mold perhaps, and do it that way?
I have carved grips for pistols in years past using wood but want something different this time.Plus I want the white or off white look.
Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might give you some info. Click on the "View Store" link and then the "About the Seller" link. He shares some interesting stuff.
Hope it helps.[url] http://myworld.ebay.com/poly-gun-grips[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie Gunworks sells a white Polymer "Ivory" blank that is 1/2 X 4 5/8 X 5 5/8 but it is (IMO) very expensive. For the Colt grips a person would almost have to buy two blanks and Epoxy them together (assuming Epoxy would bond to them, which it may not do).

zonie :)

I'm finding references to "casting resin."
It sounds like it may be what I'm looking for.Easy to cast if you have your mold,and supposed to be tough.
Now I'm trying to find a place that sells casting resin.
One step at a time :winking:

Camel bone is a good stock material. It looks like ivory and has the same non slip effect. And it is much less expensive. Try TOTW or Dixie or a knife maker's supply house.

Wood: American Holly. Very light cream colored white with wood grain hints.

I have no idea where to get it, but there are exotic wood suppliers on the internet...

i WORKED WITH CORION FOR YEARS..IT MACHINES WELL
AND FILES AN SANDS WELL..YOU CAN SCRAP IT FINE.
POXIE WILL HOLD..I EVEN ENGRAVED IT WITH A NICE
PATTERN.IT DOES GIVE OFF A FINE DUST WHEN SANDING
OF SAWING...LOOKS A LOT LIKE IVORY...AND CRAPS ARE
CHEAP IF YOU KNOW A PLACE THAT DOES COUNTER TOP
WORK...YES. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD MATERIAL TO
GIVE SOME CONSIDERATION..JUST MY OPINION BASED ON
NO FACTS WHAT SO EVER............

Your corion suggestion has peaked my interest also.I'm going to try and find a piece to see if it may work.I saw on the net where you can order "sample" pieces for a couple of bucks a piece.4"x 4".may be big enough to actually use, maybe.

Rebel said:
Bone? Mind? Are you saying its a boneheaded idea? :rotf: Just kiddin' guys. :grin:

never thought of it that way rebel :hmm: ....maybe cause i'm not a bonehead :rotf: :rotf: sorry just had to he he :shake: :bow: :v ..............bob

Back