• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lonesome Dove flying my way!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, getting into handguns and wanted one of the SuperGuns. The 1847 Walker Colt pistol. Is being shipped 2nd day air. It can hold 60 grains of BP and considered one of the most powerful on the planet until the .357 Magnum introduced in 1935.
Doubt I will charge it to this amount. My .54 cal Jaeger rifle only uses 50 grains.

But here are some info and some pictures. I am camping out by my mailbox and wait!

Lonesome Dove Walkers
“Yesterday’s gone, and we can’t get it back.” What are words of wisdom from Augustus McCrae, former Texas Ranger and one of Larry McMurtry’s famous characters’ from his Pulitzer Prize winning novel, “Lonesome Dove,” are inspiration for Cimarron Firearms’ new pair of Lonesome Dove Walker .44 revolvers. The Walker .44 was the authentic standard-issue Texas Ranger pistol. Cimarron Firearms has designed and embellished the Lonesome Dove replicas with great attention to detail. The Lonesome Dove Walker .44 features a 9-inch barrel in a charcoal blue finish, a white engraved cylinder, and case-color hardened finish on the frame and hammer. The trigger guard and grip frame are in brass, with a steel backstrap, and finely figured walnut grips sporting a cartouche. The guns are authentically marked, one with “Capt. Augustus McCrae, Texas Rangers Frontier Battalion” down the backstrap and his Texas Ranger Division “E Company No. 120” on the left side of the frame and barrel, and the other with “Capt. Woodrow F. Call, Texas Rangers Frontier Battalion” and “E Company No. 119.”​

Attachments

• Lonesome Dove.jpg
    Lonesome Dove.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 25-l-d-mccray-2.jpg
    25-l-d-mccray-2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0
  • 25-l-d-cykinder.jpg
    25-l-d-cykinder.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • walker-map_1.jpg
    walker-map_1.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, getting into handguns and wanted one of the SuperGuns. The 1847 Walker Colt pistol. Is being shipped 2nd day air. It can hold 60 grains of BP and considered one of the most powerful on the planet until the .357 Magnum introduced in 1935.
Doubt I will charge it to this amount. My .54 cal Jaeger rifle only uses 50 grains.

But here are some info and some pictures. I am camping out by my mailbox and wait!

Lonesome Dove Walkers
“Yesterday’s gone, and we can’t get it back.” What are words of wisdom from Augustus McCrae, former Texas Ranger and one of Larry McMurtry’s famous characters’ from his Pulitzer Prize winning novel, “Lonesome Dove,” are inspiration for Cimarron Firearms’ new pair of Lonesome Dove Walker .44 revolvers. The Walker .44 was the authentic standard-issue Texas Ranger pistol. Cimarron Firearms has designed and embellished the Lonesome Dove replicas with great attention to detail. The Lonesome Dove Walker .44 features a 9-inch barrel in a charcoal blue finish, a white engraved cylinder, and case-color hardened finish on the frame and hammer. The trigger guard and grip frame are in brass, with a steel backstrap, and finely figured walnut grips sporting a cartouche. The guns are authentically marked, one with “Capt. Augustus McCrae, Texas Rangers Frontier Battalion” down the backstrap and his Texas Ranger Division “E Company No. 120” on the left side of the frame and barrel, and the other with “Capt. Woodrow F. Call, Texas Rangers Frontier Battalion” and “E Company No. 119.”​
My local GRIT channel TV is running L.D. over ten days or so starting next week. It's a great series.

Probably the best western series ever made. I bought the DVD's and gave them to my hunting buddy who LOVES the series. If you like this genre and Duval you have to check out Open Range with Kevin Costner. If they had made it in the '50's it would have starred John Wayne.

Probably the best western series ever made. I bought the DVD's and gave them to my hunting buddy who LOVES the series. If you like this genre and Duval you have to check out Open Range with Kevin Costner. If they had made it in the '50's it would have starred John Wayne.

Lonesome Dove Walkers
I have two Uberti Walkers. Sam Colt said you should use 40 grains of powder in his. Because we use a better grade of steel today, I use a maximum 50 grain load of fff. Anything more is wasting powder. Also don't use any bullet under .454.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Have enjoyed and carried walker .44 models, since I was about 20 years old,
sold my 1970s Jeepster commando last year and used part of the money to pickup what hopefully will be my last and final one as I hope I never have to hock it again.

So apparently there's a difference in volume not in weight between pyrodex and black powder. You can't fit 60 grains of pyrodex into one of these

You'll find the Walker is so heavy that the charge of 50 or 60 grains of powder behind the 180 or so grain bullet is not going to give you very much recoil.

The heavy weight of the gun itself keeps The recoil down. It's not going to kick you or hurt you but be sure you got safety glasses and earplugs.

When loaded with 60 grains the original walkers had a problem of the cylinder braking because it was made of cheap metal because of the dishonest guy that manufactured them.
The modern ones made of modern metal have quite a bit more strength to them than the originals did.
As I recall Colt begin advising people to load a maximum of no more than 50 grains in the Walker and to not load the full 60 grains.

They had the same problem in 1873 when they're famous peacemaker was coming out they made the metal in the cylinder too thin and the 45 Colt with its 40 grains of powder was cracking the cylinders.

As I recall in the original story about lonesome Dove, Captain Augustus carried a second or a third model dragoon not a walker,
In movie The Walker model he carried had been converted to take metallic cartridges and would have been shooting the 44 Colt cartridge. If historically someone had converted a walker.

Was an all right story and the later made spin-off TV series are enjoyable. And free on YouTube I think.

Larry McMurtry was half full of s***, and I'm not sure about the other half but neither half knew about firearms much.

I remember him ritin in his stories about firearms, talking about the older heavy Henry that had more power than the lighter Winchester's, and him ritin about someone removing the trigger guard on their Winchester so their finger could reach the trigger.

Both are quite contrary to the reality of Winchester's and Henry's.

Last edited:
Both Duvall and Costner know how to sit a horse. Clint Eastwood too. Surprisingly most actors never seem to work at that part of the job.

Latest posts

Back