• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novaculite for gun flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got into flintlocks novaculite was one of my first thoughts for flints.... been knapping a lot longer than I've been making/shooting flinters. If it hasn't been heat treated it's tough stuff. A well shaped flint should last a long time.

What is your method for heat treatment?

I'm afraid I don't even know what novaculite is or even where it is found. Sounds interesting though.
Novaculite is mined from only one area (that I know of) in central Arkansas. It is most famous for use as Arkansas whetstones. And, it is excellent for that purpose. Unfortunately, the price has gone through the clouds. I have some I could sell on this forum but I'm afraid the members might think I have gone dodo for the price I would have to ask. Hhmmmmm..........might rethink that and price low just to sell so my son doesn't toss in dumpster after I start pushing up daisies.

I realize this thread is 2 years old but is this novaculite ? It is white and kind of chalky.
thanks
Stank
The Novaculite I have is almost translucent white. It sparks well but is a bit brittle and does not seem to be quite as tough and last as long as some of the Keokuk chert I also make guns flints of. The keokuk chert has a smooth almost creamy feel to it and is usually a pink color with some red streaks in it.
The Keokuk chert I've been getting is heat treated and I think they said comes from Oklahoma .

I knap arrow and spear points and use the waist flakes from the spawls I order to make my gun flints. I use percussion and pressure flaking tools to shape and sharpen them. Once you start using these flat gun flints it will spoil you for the ridge backed ones you buy. They spark every bit as well, last as long if not better than the English flint I was buying from TOTW. I also like and use the Keokuk chert from I think Oklahoma but wanted to try some of the novaculite and see how it compared. Both spark like crazy but am curious to see which last the longest and which is harder on the frizzen face.
I think another benefit to using flatter flints is it leaves more room for the top jaw of the cock (being screwed down closer to the bottom jaw) to clear the frizzen face when arching down to make contact. This should allow more of the flint length to be used as it shortens from wear, thus increasing each flints useful life.
Would you be interested in selling a fellow a couple of those, sized for a Brown Bess?

Back