• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bunch of flint spalls already spalled from the nodules if anyone wants to make their own flints.
I can send you a nice handfull to try -- reasonably priced.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Those look fine for flingknapping into points, but not an easy thing to do for gun flints. Gun flints are knocked off a core from the top, which is why you end up with two sharp sides. Depending on how tall your core is, you can then break the piece into 2 or sometimes even 3 pieces. Not saying you can't make gun flints out of those, but they are not ideal for it and you would spend a lot of time knapping them into the correct shape.

1692219635340.png

what they call a "flake" is the Blade that gun flints are made from

Seems like flints are out of stock or backordered almost everywhere.
Track of the Wolf lists 19 English flint sizes; 16 are now out of stock. Seven sizes of French with only one size left in stock. I recall nearly all sizes were available a month ago. Thoughts?

Track of the Wolf lists 19 English flint sizes; 16 are now out of stock. Seven sizes of French with only one size left in stock. I recall nearly all sizes were available a month ago. Thoughts?
GLOBAL WARMING!! It’s now too hot for the planet to properly form rocks! 🥸

Seems like flints are out of stock or backordered almost everywhere.
I did call Track of the Wolf regarding the current shortage. Was hoping it's due to so many new flintlock shooters but alas, they said it happens annually. There is still only one man in England making them (Tom Fuller's former apprentice) and the summer shooting season consumes nearly his entire output. The gentleman I spoke with explained that's the reason for Track's one dozen at a time purchase limit.

Today I talked to a historic arms broker, who is local to me and who is very into flintlocks, and he thought that the English and French flints were actually softer than Missouri chert, and that our typical river chert would make more sparks, but tear up a frizzen more than the chalk stream rocks.

Those wet tile saws can they adjust to angles ?
The Harbor Freight tile saw I have does not adjust, but I’ve never found that to be a problem. I have a diamond blade on it and it makes fairly fast work of shaping flints and removing humpbacks. The blade is safe if you make light skin contact, I hold the flints in my hand. But I do wear safety glasses. Don’t know what they sell for now but mine was cheap, used it to slice agates too.

View attachment 245446View attachment 245448View attachment 245447All flint is Chert but not all chert is flint, the high grade is called flint (but flint is found overseas in chalk, we in the USA have limestone thus chert.) the better cherts are smooth and knappable . when you first start out you will be lucky to get 5-10% return View attachment 245449cut proof gloves and safety glasses and a safe place to knap will help. keep kids and dogs away cut feetView attachment 245450start with flakes and if still interested then try making blades from blade cores(truly the hardest part is making a good blade core without step fractures)
warning it is addicting 💥
steps to find a good gun flint rock
1 can the rock scratch glass (hardness 5, chert is 7-flint )
2 strike it with a smooth side of a file does it spark yes ?
3 can it knap into useable shapes? cleavable can you make it into a gun flint
4 test in a gun lock while wearing safety glasses to make sure it isn't to brittle (some will shatter) repeat several times
I've been trying to keep that info in mind since you showed me how to make flints at Kempton. You make it look easy Sir! Glad your here because I think many of us who are messing around, learning to make a mess and an occasional flint will benefit from your experience.

Maybe someone on here that works their own can answer this. When I found this the first chunk looked promising but once I cracked it open I found it to be unworkable. Does it need heat treated or is it a low quality sample full of inclusions and not worth further time?

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_071900302.jpg
    IMG_20230818_071900302.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 0
I would still bop flakes off till it was shards. You never know. There may be three or four good ones in there, and as has been pointed out, the ones that are pretty may not actually work the best. Sometimes a gnarly one will last and throw good sparks.

I would still bop flakes off till it was shards. You never know. There may be three or four good ones in there, and as has been pointed out, the ones that are pretty may not actually work the best. Sometimes a gnarly one will last and throw good sparks.
Only one small part of it will flake. The piece in the pic it the lion's share of it and just breaks up.

Today I talked to a historic arms broker, who is local to me and who is very into flintlocks, and he thought that the English and French flints were actually softer than Missouri chert, and that our typical river chert would make more sparks, but tear up a frizzen more than the chalk stream rocks.
Your broker is less than expert. Chert/flint you find that is soft may have some good hard stuff only 50 feet away. That is what I have seen in Arkansas.

To be sure. His point was more along the lines of really hard chert being harder on a frizzen than flint. I would think this would be more a concern on original antiques than kits or a built rifle where changing out a frizzen or re-hardening is no big deal.

Latest posts

Back