• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here is how I make gun cherts(you call flints)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jump into it, if a rock even sort of looks like it will make conchoidal fractures, I will try to make a gunflint out of it. If it does and sparks well, I'll make more. Scrounging rocks is part of the fun.

As far as being lucky enough to have access to suitable rocks, well, part of that "luck" is enduring 11 months of summer (I was out shooting today in 106 degree ambient temps with 55% humidity), extreme drought periods (had about five inches of rain to date this year), and general weather misery.

I have a large tin cookie container that is full of about 15# of broken arrowheads that I picked up in bean fields 50 years ago. I cut a few gun flint sized pieces out of some of these and tried them out in my flintlock, they spark really well.

Last time I posted this several guys got irate about me destroying the history of the artifacts. These pieces have no history, all I know about them is I picked them up in a 15-mile radius on the Tennessee river and up various tributaries around Stevenson Alabama when I was in my 20s, I am 75 now. I had quite a bit of good stuff, one bowl, several celts, tools, and various points going back to early archaic and possibly paleo. Years ago, my son and I spent the day sorting things out, I gave everything to him to hold for my granddaughter who is interested in archaeology.

Although I dug my bowl before it was illegal to do so, I didn't have any provenance to prove it so I donated it to the local artifact museum rather than face the feds with fines and jail time for having it.

My bowl in the local museum, it is the woodland bowl with the chip out of it.

museum donated bowl_zpsbemhjb1m.jpg

I have a large tin cookie container that is full of about 15# of broken arrowheads that I picked up in bean fields 50 years ago. I cut a few gun flint sized pieces out of some of these and tried them out in my flintlock, they spark really well.

Last time I posted this several guys got irate about me destroying the history of the artifacts. These pieces have no history, all I know about them is I picked them up in a 15-mile radius on the Tennessee river and up various tributaries around Stevenson Alabama when I was in my 20s, I am 75 now. I had quite a bit of good stuff, one bowl, several celts, tools, and various points going back to early archaic and possibly paleo. Years ago, my son and I spent the day sorting things out, I gave everything to him to hold for my granddaughter who is interested in archaeology.

Although I dug my bowl before it was illegal to do so, I didn't have any provenance to prove it so I donated it to the local artifact museum rather than face the feds with fines and jail time for having it.

My bowl in the local museum, it is the woodland bowl with the chip out of it.

View attachment 248364
Thats actually neat youre reusing them.

Back