• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Northwest Trade Musket Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, in the process of building a northwest trade musket and wanted to show my progress. This kit is made by Pedersoli but is unlike any of their kits I've ever seen. Essentially, it reminds me of a TOW kit were basically everything needs done which is fine with me! Only parts that came assembled were the lock (which is actually very impressive) and the breech plug. Tang required a slight bit of inletting, but the wedding bands matched up perfectly as did the barrel in the channel. Lock mortise required the typical inletting, soldered the barrel tenons and front sight, however I will be replacing the half round front blade for a turtle blade sight, after I soldered the front blade and got a good look... Absolutely hated it! Drilled the barrel pins and ramrod pipe pins, worked the buttplate and trigger guard and now will be working the serpent lock plate to remove the casting gate. I'll be doing the final wood removal and shaping then closer to shooting! Overall, I'm very impressed with this kit, the quality of the parts has exceeded my expectations. :hatsoff:

JIBhcgw.jpg

BJ7mDdP.jpg

fT2xtwf.jpg

Thank you sir, as am I! A .600 roundball is one honking chunk of lead that I'm dying to shoot. Should be a great multi role musket and one I'm very excited to add to my Eastern Native garb and collection.

Looks like a nice unit. Been tossing around the idea of a trade gun for a while, and this might push me over the edge.

I hope it does! Reason I opted for this kit was the Tryon lock offered in tracks kit is essentially back ordered indefinitely... R.E. Davis supplies that particular lock and they actually are up the road from me so, I gave them a call. The issue they are having is the supply of parts for that particular lock, which may not come back... I found this kit listed on gunbroker and immediately jumped on it, and I'm certainly glad I did. The lock offered in this kit must be made by another manufacturer as its quality is not like other Pedersoli locks I've seen or owned. With a 1" flint it's a beautiful sparking lock, fast and just feels and looks well put together. It's a rather easy and relaxing build. There's allot of wood to be removed and shaped, but that's been all the fun so far! :grin:

I actually got lucky and found this listed on gunbroker. Very glad I made the purchase as I've never seen a Pesersoli kit in complete, well kit form. It's certainly a fine piece and the pictures don't serve it justice. Should be one great fowler. Thanks for the positive remarks! :hatsoff:

Nice looking gun. I've often wondered about the ballistics. I know a rifle is more accurate at a longer range but if one was hunting moose in the woods with a 50-70 yard shot- seems a NW trade gun would be best- bigger ball.

The average guy can't hit squat with a smoothie.

A 50 yard shot with a smoothbore would be ? ? ? ?

Donny said:

Really? Please explain as I have no problems being accurate with my .45 halfstock. If your theory is correct, then I must not be average. As well, an individual at my last event won our 18 target woods shoot with a smoothie... average yardage was 25, max 80.

The average guy can't hit squat with any iron sighted weapon!

That does not diminish the accomplishments of a daisy BB gun in the hands of a kid who is working on their second carton of 5000 BBs or the effectiveness of a non rifled tube in the hands of someone who has taught themselves how to shoot it.

Moose Lungs are a pretty big target at 50 yards.

ddoyle said:

The average guy can't hit squat with any iron sighted weapon!

That does not diminish the accomplishments of a daisy BB gun in the hands of a kid who is working on their second carton of 5000 BBs or the effectiveness of a non rifled tube in the hands of someone who has taught themselves how to shoot it.

Moose Lungs are a pretty big target at 50 yards.

This also is exceptional! Very well said sir. :hatsoff: :applause:

Donny said:

Would be easy...take deer out to 100 yards all the time and have for years. Inside the 75 to 100 yard range, smoothies are about as accurate as rifles with the option of using buckshot or bird shot!

Back