• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am starting a new thread to update you on some of the facts on the NMLRA and what we we are currently working on.

3 years ago the membership was at 12,300 members. Today it is around 15,800 members. This is a 28% increase in memberships over a two year period.

With right around 1,000 shooters coming to Friendship twice a year it makes this the two largest shooting events in the United States. Think about that, bet you did not think the ML's have the two largest shooting events in the USA!

Today you can do a regular membership that includes a hard copy of the magazine for $50 a year, or for $35 you can do a one year membership with a digital magazine. That is for less than $3 a month you can get the digital membership. Cant afford a membership? Heck I brew my coffee at home, hate spending the money to buy a cup at the convenience store. Also quit drinking pop, lots of ways to find $3 bucks a month.

It is planed this year to replace 2 of the bathrooms/showers at Friendship. The association will be using money from the camping and shooting fees to pay for the new facilities, along with money from the Pittman-Robertson fund. There are some other upgrades to the facilities that are being discussed.

Yesterday we had a conference call with a couple of the staff members and once we have a web address setup we will have free access to one issue of the digital magazine. This will allow anyone to take a peek at what our new magazine looks like and some exposure to the NMLRA. Once this goes live I will provide a link here.

This week at the Shot Show I met a representative from the Scouts of America (formally Boy Scouts). Do you know that in the past year they shot over 31,000 rounds through ML's as part of their shooting program? We are hoping to have some more contact and partnership with the Scouts. I think it is easier to convert a shooter to ML's then to create a new shooter.

There are other youth shooting groups like 4H that we are going to be reaching out to as well.

We have some other good things that we are wanting to work on and at this point it would be premature to discuss them all.

The current board with the leadership of the President has been making some big changes over the past couple of years to make the NMLRA a better organization and to grow its membership. Looks like it is working.

Fleener

I am starting a new thread to update you on some of the facts on the NMLRA and what we we are currently working on.

3 years ago the membership was at 12,300 members. Today it is around 15,800 members. This is a 28% increase in memberships over a two year period.

With right around 1,000 shooters coming to Friendship twice a year it makes this the two largest shooting events in the United States. Think about that, bet you did not think the ML's have the two largest shooting events in the USA!

Today you can do a regular membership that includes a hard copy of the magazine for $50 a year, or for $35 you can do a one year membership with a digital magazine. That is for less than $3 a month you can get the digital membership. Cant afford a membership? Heck I brew my coffee at home, hate spending the money to buy a cup at the convenience store. Also quit drinking pop, lots of ways to find $3 bucks a month.

It is planed this year to replace 2 of the bathrooms/showers at Friendship. The association will be using money from the camping and shooting fees to pay for the new facilities, along with money from the Pittman-Robertson fund. There are some other upgrades to the facilities that are being discussed.

Yesterday we had a conference call with a couple of the staff members and once we have a web address setup we will have free access to one issue of the digital magazine. This will allow anyone to take a peek at what our new magazine looks like and some exposure to the NMLRA. Once this goes live I will provide a link here.

This week at the Shot Show I met a representative from the Scouts of America (formally Boy Scouts). Do you know that in the past year they shot over 31,000 rounds through ML's as part of their shooting program? We are hoping to have some more contact and partnership with the Scouts. I think it is easier to convert a shooter to ML's then to create a new shooter.

There are other youth shooting groups like 4H that we are going to be reaching out to as well.

We have some other good things that we are wanting to work on and at this point it would be premature to discuss them all.

The current board with the leadership of the President has been making some big changes over the past couple of years to make the NMLRA a better organization and to grow its membership. Looks like it is working.

Fleener

Thank you for the summary. All good news. Question, scout leadership says 31k rounds shot in their ml program. Any idea how they came up with that number? Our council is not a fan of muzzleloader at summer camp. Our club however has a shooting program for scouts and a rotation includes traditional bp shooting. Our program probably shoots 2.3-3k rounds a year alone and we don't report that to the scout leadership. Just curious as our little bp group is the most asked for shooting station as the troops are given options as to how they want to conduct the visit and what they want to shoot. Thanks again for the update.

Actually as I go back and look at the information card he gave me, the numbers are only for Philmont in 2017, not nationally as I originally stated. I will up load a picture of the card, but right now the computer is not cooperating.

Good for you on the BP station. Your experience is the same as mine. People are drawn to BP if given the opportunity.

I bumped into the Scout's rep. while we were at Hodgdon's booth. Hodgdon's makes Goex, Old Eynsford, Pyrodex, Tripple 7. We did not have much time to visit, but we exchanged contact information.

Part of my reason to be a NMLRA member is that the Association is the largest BP organization in the US and I assume in the World. With their programs, they are helping keep our sport alive and hopefully growing.

IF you are a NMLRA member or not, if we can convert the youth to black powder shooting it will only help our sport that we all love. There are lots of opportunities to do this, you just cant wait for them to necessarily come to you.

As stated Scouts and 4H have active shooting programs. In Iowa the DNR host a outdoor camp for boys, they shoot BP at this camp. Become a hunters ed instructor and bring your ML. Volunteer at the local school for some living history. SCTP is taking the US by storm with kids shooting trap. The link will show you a club near you. https://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=3226176&x=-104.257220&y=40.722582&z=11

I put together a class for mental management that I teach to the SCTP and I use ML's in the class the kids and parents swarm me at the end. But together a BP shoot an invite all your friends, ML and non ML shooters.

Lots of things we can do as shooters only if you want to and try.

Fleener

Did you notice the Feb issue of muzzle blasts where the printer screwed up the SECOND AMENDMENT of the cover.
Are you a field rep, or instr, or board member of the NMLRA.
THANKS
8 BORE

Actually as I go back and look at the information card he gave me, the numbers are only for Philmont in 2017, not nationally as I originally stated. I will up load a picture of the card, but right now the computer is not cooperating.

Good for you on the BP station. Your experience is the same as mine. People are drawn to BP if given the opportunity.

I bumped into the Scout's rep. while we were at Hodgdon's booth. Hodgdon's makes Goex, Old Eynsford, Pyrodex, Tripple 7. We did not have much time to visit, but we exchanged contact information.

Part of my reason to be a NMLRA member is that the Association is the largest BP organization in the US and I assume in the World. With their programs, they are helping keep our sport alive and hopefully growing.

IF you are a NMLRA member or not, if we can convert the youth to black powder shooting it will only help our sport that we all love. There are lots of opportunities to do this, you just cant wait for them to necessarily come to you.

As stated Scouts and 4H have active shooting programs. In Iowa the DNR host a outdoor camp for boys, they shoot BP at this camp. Become a hunters ed instructor and bring your ML. Volunteer at the local school for some living history. SCTP is taking the US by storm with kids shooting trap. The link will show you a club near you. https://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=3226176&x=-104.257220&y=40.722582&z=11

I put together a class for mental management that I teach to the SCTP and I use ML's in the class the kids and parents swarm me at the end. But together a BP shoot an invite all your friends, ML and non ML shooters.

Lots of things we can do as shooters only if you want to and try.

Fleener
Our club where I shoot is on your link, pcsc.us in North georgia for sctp. Will have to contact the linked referenced member. Thank you.

I have not read my Feb issue yet, I need to get that done. I will take a look at it.

I am nothing other than a life member and a volunteer with ideas. I am very good friends with the current President and a few of the board members. Myself and a board member pitched some ideas to the President and was given the green light to start moving forward with them.

When I was young there was a lady in our farming community that complained about everything and our families were friends. One day I heard my parents talking about her. They admitted that she complained a lot, but she also put her efforts where her mouth was and helped make things change for the better. That has stuck with me all these year. I might complain and be critical, but I am willing to put my money and my efforts where my mouth is.

It is easy to complain, it is another thing to take action.

Fleener

I agree Got to get ways to get young people interested in shooting.
We have the NRA YHEC here in Missouri which helps and other junior muzzle loading matches.
Do the best we can

I have not read my Feb issue yet, I need to get that done. I will take a look at it.

I am nothing other than a life member and a volunteer with ideas. I am very good friends with the current President and a few of the board members. Myself and a board member pitched some ideas to the President and was given the green light to start moving forward with them.

When I was young there was a lady in our farming community that complained about everything and our families were friends. One day I heard my parents talking about her. They admitted that she complained a lot, but she also put her efforts where her mouth was and helped make things change for the better. That has stuck with me all these year. I might complain and be critical, but I am willing to put my money and my efforts where my mouth is.

It is easy to complain, it is another thing to take action.

Fleener
Talked to our club presidentabout sctp. This group shoots in our facility every month. Yesterday in fact there were about 40 shooters using the ranges. They hear us shooting bp and appear curious, several have come over to inquire what all the noise is about. Will have to talk to them about sharing some of ours meager toys. We bp folks like to share with others!

jdw276

That is excellent, not hard to do and as you know, you will feel great about helping out the kids.

We dont have to wait for opportunities to knock us in our heads, we can make the opportunities.

Fleener

Fleener,
Thanks for the update. I’m a member. I drive up to Friendship from Florida for both the Spring and Fall events. I see from the magazine that there are a lot of other short-term events going on at the Walter Cline range throughout the year. If I were closer, I’d be attending several of them. I only mention that to help folks realize there’s a lot going on there for those who can make it to Friendship for just a day ( or two). You shouldn’t think of the home grounds as being dead space 50 wks out of the year.

Friendship host the largest BPCR sil. shoot in the USA in May I think. I would like to go, but it is a bit of a drive for me as well.

Fleener

In all honesty, it is time the NMLRA started complying with the American Disability Act.

Most shooters and folks who visit there are over 55 years.

I know 2 folks will be happy with complaint bathrooms.

When I renewed my membership last Fall, I was ask if I wanted too receive a printed hard copy of Muzzle Blast or view it on the web.

To my understanding the web version is the same as the hard copy version.

I prefer the hard copy at this time, as it can be gifted too someone who could become a potential member.

To my understanding the web version is an attempt to save a little money, too be used for other improvements at the range.

I’ve talked to Vendors who for years went to the Western shoot as well as Friendship, What I was told was that there wasn’t enough support at the Western Shoot to continue it.
Thats a shame, if the support was there , like the 1000 shooters at Friendship I don’t think the shoot would have been dropped by the NMLRA.

If we don’t continue too support the shoots no matter the location , they will surely all just wither away.

Thanks for the update Fleener! Keep up the good work.

I believe the digital membership also allows one to view all past issues of Muzzle Blast as well. I would suspect to get them all scanned and uploaded will take a little time.

Being new to this BP shooting, and a newbie to this forum, I did join the NMLRA to support the sport/hobby. I get the hard copy of the magazine. Do I get access to the past issues in archives as well? IIRC I think I do. Meant to browse, but have been into other projects. I live in west central Ohio, and may attend one of the Friendship events. Not necessarily to shoot, at least the first time, but just to see what it is like, maybe meet some like minded folks, earn something, visit the vendors. I would bring my Charleville, although technically it's not a rifle. Can I shoot a smoothbore since it's not technically a rifle? If not, I could bring the 1861 Springfield.
Here is an issue of the magazine I purchased on Ebay. The long rifle on the cover is a reproduction by the Sauder Village Gunsmiths, here in Ohio. Adam Yerian, the original gunsmith is one of my Patriot ancestors with the SAR.
Image%2011-5-18%20at%2012.36%20AM_zpsegmqv44q.jpg

Welcome PluggedNickel. If you can get away, you’re going to enjoy spending some time at Friendship. Your Charleville would definitely be welcome. There’s a lot of smoothbore shooters. Be sure to make your way over to the Primitive Range, and consider shooting the Woodswalk. I know a fellow who has done pretty darn well on that one with his smoothbore. That big ball is a plus on a woodswalk.
Enjoy..!!

Welcome PluggedNickel. If you can get away, you’re going to enjoy spending some time at Friendship. Your Charleville would definitely be welcome. There’s a lot of smoothbore shooters. Be sure to make your way over to the Primitive Range, and consider shooting the Woodswalk. I know a fellow who has done pretty darn well on that one with his smoothbore. That big ball is a plus on a woodswalk.
Enjoy..!!
Excellent, and thanks for the reply!

Plugged Don is right, smoothbore s are always Welcome there.

I don’t remember exactly but on the Primitive Range on Monday or Tuesday most matches shot that day are smoothbore matches.

If you get a chance to go too Freindship it’s well worth going.

There’s also a Muzzleloading Forum Woods Walk usually held on the first Sunday of the event, both in the Spring & Fall.

Smoothbores are Welcome there too!

Back