• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA 3-Year Memberships

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a life membership in the 70's. Probably the best return on investment if you consider just the cost of postage alone over several decades. A lot of folks who complain have no idea what it takes to maintain a company or organization, particularly one that depends on volunteer labor for most of its output. You can get a great education by volunteering to organize a rendezvous, run your club shoot for a year, or use your creative writing skills as so ably demonstrated in the complaint section to write an article or hunting story for the magazine. Maybe look up Teddy Roosevelt's quote that starts "its not the critic who counts, but...." It is possible to contribute to the solution?

I joined the NMLRA in June of 1968 and became a life member in 1996. My membership card indicates an expiration date of 12/30/2070, so I get to hang on until I'm 122. (Regrettably I have a suspicion that I may not make it.) I agree that the far-in-the-future expiration dates are peculiar, but so what? They are not a reason for taking offense. My membership card is also labeled conspicuously "NMLRA Life Member."
For the record, my wife and I both joined the One of One Thousand endowment program for the NMLRA. Bob Copner from California has worked very hard for years to get people to show their financial support for the premier muzzleloading association in the nation. This program will soon be fully subscribed - only a handful of openings remain. If you would like your name on the wall, Now is the time to dig deep and Join the One of One Thousand. Putting the money down hurts for a nanosecond, but it feels great to do our part to further the aims of the NMLRA. You can even sign up on an installment basis. See Muzzle Blasts or the NMLRA web page if you need further information.

If you don't like the cost, the magazine is available in digital format and the membership price reflects that. Why insist on dead tree format when you can download it and print out only what you are interested in?

As for dropping membership, I'm sure Covid had some effect but I'd also like to examine the demographics of the membership. If the bulk of the membership is over 65, then the mortality rate will be high and new membership will have to be at least keeping pace with that just to break even. That is just one more reason to REACH OUT TO YOUNG PEOPLE!!!!! We have a similar demographic problem in the N-SSA and hopefully our BoD is cognizant of that fact but at times I don't think some of them can find their backsides with either hand.
I also do the digital membership and feel it's the best way to go - no trees to kill and does not take up storage space in the closet.:ghostly:

There sb no expiration date on a “Life” Membership.
If you have a life membership with NMLRA, look at the cover of your Muzzle Blast magazine. You will see a date printed on the right side of the name and address block. That is when NMLRA expects you to expire.

I'm reading thru all of this and still don't know why or what I get for my money. I don't think I'm ever going to Indiana for anything. Why should I join the NMLRA, money is tight and will get worst. Sell me a membership. What do I tell friends and family about them to get them to join. Just saying.

I have been a member of NMLRA since the very early 90's. Two years ago I became a life member at the reduced rate due to my age, since at the time there were more expensive life memberships available. My membership card has my original member number on it, as well as a separate endowment life number. It has the expiration three days after I turn 100. I guess they put that expiration because they believe most people won't make it that long, or if they do won't be able to stand and shoot or read the magazine. My name has never appeared in Muzzle Blasts as a new life member. I've always thought that is probably because I bought a life membership for I believe at the time $650, half of the $1200 or so rate at the time for a regular life membership.

I'm reading thru all of this and still don't know why or what I get for my money. I don't think I'm ever going to Indiana for anything. Why should I join the NMLRA, money is tight and will get worst. Sell me a membership. What do I tell friends and family about them to get them to join. Just saying.
Well, you can always support the other organization that caters to muzzleloading.
Money can be tight at at times but I usually opt to order a few less steak burgers and pay my dues.

For me it's all about "what's in it for us."

Back