• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NMLRA 3-Year Memberships

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the NMLRA three-year membership for a while. Then I decided to buy a lifetime membership. Best decision I made. I did the same with my NRA membership and I am considering making my GOA membership a lifetime one. Support these gun rights organizations. It's in your best interest.
It would be in their best interest to lobby against the NFA. Instead they keep membership dues rolling in while they rub elbows with politicians and manufacturers. They do just enough to appease both sides, which is not in my best interest. The NRA has supported, or negotiated, nearly all firearms laws.

Last edited:
Have only been on this page a short time, but my wife and I have been into ML for 35+ years and belong to 5 BP clubs. We live in the hot bed of ML in far northern Ca. and southern Or. in a few hours of driving about 15+ rendezvous of 150+ shooters and yet the only place we hear about NMLRA is on the various Black Powder pages. Is there a rep of NMRLA in this area ? My wife is currently the president of Louderback. Would a rep like to come and see us at a meeting ? We all know of the benefits of NRA of which a membership in our ML club is a requirement. Many of us would be interested in NMLRA if someone could come and explain to us how they can help us.
Doc,

You seem to sing the same tune everywhere on social media the past few years.. You’re everywhere west coast and the NMLRA is nowhere.
From this months Muzzle Blast Magazine - they’re under your nose.
Pretty sure Sacramento is in Northern California - as you say - the hotbed of ML
Idaho too.

470C7E1A-748B-4AF1-B29E-58F0803686FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Have only been on this page a short time, but my wife and I have been into ML for 35+ years and belong to 5 BP clubs. We live in the hot bed of ML in far northern Ca. and southern Or. in a few hours of driving about 15+ rendezvous of 150+ shooters and yet the only place we hear about NMLRA is on the various Black Powder pages. Is there a rep of NMRLA in this area ? My wife is currently the president of Louderback. Would a rep like to come and see us at a meeting ? We all know of the benefits of NRA of which a membership in our ML club is a requirement. Many of us would be interested in NMLRA if someone could come and explain to us how they can help us.
Doc,
Huh, guess you know Michael and Neysa then?

Same here 42, this Thursday, and never heard of NMLRA. I knew about the Friendship shoot, being that I live in Indiana. Found out about NMLRA from this forum.

I was an NMLRA member years back when I was in the rendezvous / Hawken rifle shoot scene in the late 1970's. Dang, that dates me. I let that drop once IDPA started and a bunch of the Lieutenants and Captains at Schofield Barracks got involved to improve our service pistol skills since there were some really tight scenes in the Asia theater then. Now that I'm retired and have more free time, am back with the Holy Black. Always wanted to go to Friendship for a shoot and will try to get there this year. For an even more secret organization, try the North-South Skirmish Association (N-SSA) with their WBTS musket matches. I never heard of it until I went by Back Creek Gun Shop to get what I thought was going to be a huge stash of Holy Black, only to find that 25 pounds may last one of the N-SSA shooters 6 months.

Don’t bash the NRA. They(we) are much more than a magazine and a hat. The NRA are the only ones capable and active in the defense of our Second Amendment. That costs money, and is of extreme importance.

NRA Life Member here checking in on this. The NRA MAY be capable but neither is active or able anymore. Hasn't been for years. I'm seriously steamed & chapped at them. Spent months working extra shifts in the middle of the week during the spring & summer with the temps over 100's. Leave the one job, drive to the parking garage, try to sleep in the car at >100F for a couple of hours, grab a quick bite at the hospital krapateria, clock in at 1845 to work 4 hours with a bunch of RN's that think you just walked in that you're fresh meat for assignments and give you an admit, a post-op, and a blood transfusion to get done prior to clocking out at 2315hours , then go home, speed sleep to be back up at 0500 to get in to get daily production running at 0600 the next day. All to send donations to the NRA and get my Life membership. Then that POS Wayne Robert LaPierre spent it on 30k designer suits and a side piece chickie snack. Hell, one suit is about what the average American deer hunter makes a year. AND they bought him a big a** $Million home here in Dallas also, just for reasons. Then those FUDD SOB's threw us under the bus on both bump stocks and the pistol braces. And you want me to accept that they do 'anything'? Pfffft. Sorry. I identify as a Missourian here, show me something first, then I might believe you.

Look up the 2A cases that we've won. NONE were started by the NRA. Zero. Zip. Nada. Nein. Nothing. They may have stepped in once it was obvious that they'd win, but not until then. All the heavy lifting is done by the GOA, SAF, and others. Right now, am looking at the Gun Owners of American vs. Second Amendment Foundation as to which I'm going to join/support. But the NRA, just wish that NY AG will nail them to the wall for their monetary shenanigans.

I was at the Conner Long Rifle history trade fair event yesterday(Indiana). There was a group from NMLRA and was able to get that 3 year membership. Haven't been a member for years. Won't go to any shoots or events, but like some I like to support this type of organization. I don't duck hunt ,but been a member of Ducks Unlimited for 35+ years, don't Turkey hunt but been a member for over 16 years. Good groups that do good things for lot of good reasons.
My wife and I joined the NMLRA Sunday at that very show, we are 26 and just getting into the hobby. There was nothing but great folks there and we talked all day with people, heck we barely made it through all the tables! Everyone was asking if we were going to Kalamazoo and friendship, and I can gladly say that this crowd is a great bunch of kind people who just wanna teach ya stuff and we will definitely be going!

I recently paid the 3 yr deal. I do know the NMLRA is opening their doors to the YHEC program. They will be having the regional shoot there. The NRA is choosing to not support the program like it has in the past. Hope it goes well and can continue at Friendship. Like any organization or group or what ever. You only hear about the negative things. Society in general maybe? Bad news travels fast. There is always good being done. Just doesn't make the "headlines".

I do not understand the complaints about the NMLRA. Yes I’m a life member and I do enjoy it. I shoot for my own enjoyment nowadays.
I gaveca friend who will not join any of the organizations. He sure does have opinions about them. How they are not run right. What they should do. What they should not do. But he just will not spend the money to be a member. That does not keep him from touting his thoughts on those organizations.

I tell him. Until your a member your opinions mean nothing.

“Something I'd like to see (and never have) is an explanation of how all the "benefits" of membership are beneficial to members who don't go to Friendship. I can't help but think that would do more to encourage people to join than people chiming in and telling the wonders of the Walter Cline Range, or special deals on membership.”

I let my membership drop years ago. I did enjoy reading Muzzleblast but that was it. Just thinking know how cool it would be if the NMLRA could sponsor a Range in every state! With all the benefits of friendship. Especially being able to buy black powder at the range.
Jmtc

You seem to sing the same tune everywhere on social media the past few years.. You’re everywhere west coast and the NMLRA is nowhere.
From this months Muzzle Blast Magazine - they’re under your nose.
Pretty sure Sacramento is in Northern California - as you say - the hotbed of ML
Idaho too.

View attachment 199816
I Actually Sacramento 4 hours drive south we consider to be in the flat lands down south Or possibly you could call it central Ca. What myself and others are asking what are the benefits of joining other than a $20 monthly magazine. What you posted are ranges which we don’t generally use up here. All 15+ local rendezvous are all on very large ranches with multiple trail walks. The ranchers are strong 2A people which let us use their facilities for free for our rendezvous and monthly shoots. I understand back east there’s not that many ranches measured in miles. Only asking for help and knowledge.
Doc,

Last edited:
I was at the Conner Long Rifle history trade fair event yesterday(Indiana). There was a group from NMLRA and was able to get that 3 year membership. Haven't been a member for years. Won't go to any shoots or events, but like some I like to support this type of organization. I don't duck hunt ,but been a member of Ducks Unlimited for 35+ years, don't Turkey hunt but been a member for over 16 years. Good groups that do good things for lot of good reasons.
I recently used the 3years for the price of 2. My belief is that if you want change in an organization it is best accomplished from within the organization. Whining and complaining and tearing something down is counterproductive. Get signed up and get to work. Get involved...done't sit on the sideline and bellyache about everything.

I Actually Sacramento 4 hours drive south we consider to be in the flat lands down south Or possibly you could call it central Ca. What myself and others are asking what are the benefits of joining other than a $20 monthly magazine. What you posted are ranges which we don’t generally use up here. All 15+ local rendezvous are all on very large ranches with multiple trail walks. The ranchers are strong 2A people which let us use their facilities for free for our rendezvous and monthly shoots. I understand back east there’s not that many ranches measured in miles. Only asking for help and knowledge.
Doc,
Making excuses for those trying to promote muzzleloading 4 hours away because it doesn’t fit your specific need. lol

OP - NMLRA with this offer is now $2.75/month, including the magazine.. (was $4/mo).

As you’ve now stated in every post - Rendezvous. You seem to looking for assistance from the wrong organization - this might be for you.
Let us know what they’re doing for the $: a magazine, scholarships, shooting records, Hunting records (LongHunter Society), gunmaking classes, accessory classes, etc..?

4B9C9465-0964-4041-BAF3-250D3829E69F.jpeg

Last edited:
Da "fat lady' has sung.

Thank you sir.

Now please shoot the dying horse and put it out of it's misery.

Thanks for posting this thread. I'd allowed my NMLRA membership lapse last year due to some of the issues others have pointed out. I can afford the $100 this month before paying taxes, so yes, that'll work. Haven't been to Friendship in 50 years, but always wanted to go back. Maybe camp?

Last time I was there, we slept in Curley's booth, sat around a fire with some young men connected with Mowrey rifles, enjoyed some memorably good pies, and nice, friendly folks. Plus, my NMLRA window sticker left when I traded trucks - maybe I can get a new one? (Sticker, not a new truck). Thanks again for everyone's thoughts.

Here's some thoughts. I dropped my membership because all you get is a magazine for $50 per year. Ridiculous. There are no shoots in my area so the rest of the "benefits" are irrelevant. In my opinion if you engage in the competitive shoots, you ought to pay the full cost and the annual membership drop down to $25-30 per year. I live around Orlando and I've gone over to Tampa (Alafia) to a couple of shoots. I would have no problem paying more at the shoots to cover costs.
In the business world you are supposed to price your products until marginal revenue and costs balance out- to maximize the dollars, not necessarily profit margin. This seems to continually escape the minds of the leadership. What I am saying is if membership increased by dropping the annual to $25-$30 the total dollars coming in ought to go up.
I was in the magazine business a million years ago. The bulk of the money is advertising. You could give the magazines away for free as long as you were selling a lot of ads. The subscription price was often a matter of "prestige pricing", if it was free no one would value it. In any event the annual membership is too high.
well said. They want your money to build up indiana range and salaried office people. I shoot the territorials that are left in driving distance - ny and vermont MY NRA membership allows me to shoot the compititions also. 25.00 is all its worth ..i dont need that stupid history lesson magazine and dont care of the exquisite gun building.

Latest posts

Back