• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple wiggling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Tc new englander..

I got musket nipples 1/4 × 28... traditions ones..

I noticed they have a little slight wiggle.. so im using the #11 it came with and there solid in there..

The traditions nipples are fine in the dp10 though..

Just trying to find another brand to try...

Kinda feel good I noticed before anything happened.. it's a very little wiggling..

I just assumed it's bad. You don't want any wiggle i think.. i almost didn't notice. I picked up on it by playing around kinda.

Lmao...

I almost cried a little at first.. I thought it was broken.

I like the musket nipples for birds.. it's easyer to fondle Around with.

I will say those number 11 pop good.

I thought I saw hot shot musket nipples ounce but maybe no.

Wiggle like when tight?
My first thought would be the pilot hole was too big before tapping. I would be afraid of a blow out

Yea they don't get in all the way.. I think

Like if you back it off one thread it wiggles..

The factory I think #11... threads on and solid.

I re tried the traditions nips on the dp10.. to check the fit. They thread in all the way solid no wiggles.

It's easy to not notice.

I think Traditions guns may use metric nipples, either M6-1.0 or M6-.75. Imported musket nipples are typically metric M8-1.0 or M8-1.25. A lot of Davide Pedersoli (dp?) sporting guns, as well as American-made sporting guns (e.g. Thompson Center) use 1/4-28 fractional nipples. Some of the T/C guns like the Seneca used a #12-28 nipple. The metric and fractional nipples are not interchangeable. It sounds to me as if the wrong nipple thread may be the problem.

Please check your owner’s manual for the gun in question for specifications and make sure you have the right nipple.

I would think if the nipple wiggles, you have an unsafe condition.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I would recommend getting your nipple from a muzzleloading specialty dealer rather than Amazon or EBay. T/C rifles (except the Seneca snd maybe Cherokee) use nipples with a 1/4-28 thread and a short cone. Track of the Wolf has these, I think as part #PST-S.

It is really, really important that you get a nipple with the correct thread. I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but Amazon has sent me the wrong item several times, as in not what I ordered. A couple of times it was like a “bait and switch.” I would not trust them to get it right.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
OK.. think I found some.

That was not easy to find on totw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240510_182355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240510_182355_Chrome.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240510_183251_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240510_183251_Chrome~2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 0
I have noticed the number 11 work about the same.. with blackpowder anyway... I shot ten in a row. Not even a delay...

I might try the 11 again and use the capper different..

today turkey hunting. Instead of trying to cap the nipple with the capper.. I just popped the cap into my hand and it wasn't bad to get on the nipple..

I like capper thing.. it holds allot. I just drop caps all the time trying to use it as a capper..

Glad y’all had this thread. I picked up a TC Hawkin in .50 perc. A couple of years ago. Nipple only seated hard the last turn. Never knew about the different threads would always retighten between shots. Guess I have been protected 😃 from my own self. Shoots really good with 70 grns and a round ball. Only paid $100.00

Back