• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipple ignition hole size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mto7464

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just replaced my nipple with a new stainless one. I noticed the ignition hole was smaller then the stock one. Should I enlarge the new one or try it first?

Try it first.

I'm not sure about rifle nipples, but a smaller ignition hole is ideal on a revolver. There's less back pressure.

The new stainless nipple should work fine just as it is.

The small hole thru it won't cause a problem. Many feel it concentrates the blast from the cap and actually improves it.

The small hole will also keep the powder charge from trying to blow the hammer back when heavy powder charges are used.

I talked to a guy at a gun store one day that thought larger holes would stop miss-fires on his revolver. He said it was pretty shocking when it turned to full auto, he put new nipples in before he used it again. I think the smaller hole is just fine in a rifle too.

They do wear with time and fact get replaced because of the larger hole. There are different designs as well with the small place deeper on some. Geo. T.

No, you don't drill the hole bigger. The people that made it know what they're doing and why.

People that drill the hole out, no matter what reason they give you, are trying to compensate for some other problem in the ignition sequence.

No, you don't drill the hole bigger. The people that made it know what they're doing and why.

That is the best, bottom line, response yet.
The tiny hole design was popularized (maybe not the first) by Dan Pawlik, the inventor of Pyrodex. Dan was a genuine rocket scientist, specializing fuels and ignition. He recognized that Pyrodex was difficult to ignite. Using his scientific skills he came up with the "Hot Shot" nipple that concentrated the flame through a tiny hole. As far as I know, that design has not been improved upon since. Keep it small.

I used a Hot Shot in my "unmentionable"...and it was the only nipple that worked with any reliability at all. I am quite confident in them!

When I posted the first time the post was not showing 20 minutes later so I thought I messed up so I reposted it.

Just replaced my nipple with a new stainless one. I noticed the ignition hole was smaller then the stock one. Should I enlarge the new one or try it first?

There is such a thing as too big and too small. My .45 shoots great with a Trso nipple with a very very small flash hole, but...after about 20 shots it will start to hang just a tiny bit and then will refuse to fire due to the tiny hole being plugged.

Today while shooting a 40 shot match I noticed the very slightest hang on two consecutive shots so I went to another nipple that was actually looking a bit too large (a near new nipple by the way!). Problem dissapeared but the hammer came back to halfcock with each shot. That was a tolerable situation with another 20 shots to go so stuck with it.

With too small a hole it can become slowly fouled enough to prevent the fire from getting through.

Long rambling answer to a simple question and "yes", you should just try it. :grin:

Depending on the musket, the minie, the charge and the lube you might want a bigger hole so that gas flow helps keep the works from clogging up but that's the only case of not wanting a smaller hole that I've run into. And the only real solution to that problem musket was larger .581" diameter minies!

Nipples do not need to have the holes adjusted. Use it just as it is and it will work just fine. If you are using one of the substitute powders, you will need magnum caps but no adjustment to the nipple hole is needed. Enlarging the hole will just increase the back pressure on the hammer. With enough back pressure, you can end up blowing your hammer back to the half cock notch. You don't want that.

Back