• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newb Here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maelin Sav

32 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings fellows,
Ive been wanting to get started in muzzleloading, particularly in the flintlock variant, for some time now. As a beginner, who has little to no prior experience in this field, it can seem kind of overwhelming; but very exciting at the same time. Im looking for something that is not only fun to shoot but also a reliable firearm for hunting small game, as well as being capable of taking down larger animals like deer and possibly elk. I really want a Kentucky Long rifle, I absolutely love the aesthetic of that piece and the history behind it. After doing some digging I found a Kentucky Long rifle by Pedersoli in 50 Calibre https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/ken...-cap-walnut-grip-model-s210-500.html?___SID=U
It seems kind of hard as a beginner, when looking for "old style" firearms, to see if a product is actually going to be up to snuff as it were, and a lot of websites that seem to sell flintlocks kind of look like scams and make me nervous about spending my hard won money there. Ive seen some people here talking about Pedersoli flintlocks and the reviews seem to be kind of mixed. If anyone here has experience with this particular firearm, what has your experience been so far? Does anybody have any suggestions on other brands of a Kentucky Long Rifle that are worth looking into? The price on the Pedersoli model is within my budget, as im trying to stay within the 800 dollar range, at the same time I do want a piece that will stick with me for years and years to come, so reliability and durability are also big factors. Any thoughts, critiques, or advice you guys have are more than welcome.

I also had a question about the caliber. Is 50 too much or not enough? My understanding is that most folks back in the 18th century had only one or two firearms that they would have used for everything; from hunting rabbits and birds, all the way to taking down deer. I am looking to get the same kind of utility from my firearm.

Another question I had, which may seem rather foolish, was concerning ammo. A lot of the ammo that I have seen for blackpowder rifles seems kind of "modern". Eventually I would like to get into casting my own, but until that time, what kind of ammo do you guys recommend? Is it ok to use a modern style 50 caliber "ball" in a flintlock like this?

Thanks so much for reading my rambling, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may throw my way.

Wow you are a newby. The modern stuff is just that. You want a round lead ball .re cal its up to you 45 will suit big & little but not real small .Petersoli have a fairly good name Suggest watch capandball videos .But I've not owned any factory replicas if plenty here seem to have. Many rave about Kibler kits but they might be too costly for you, however such top end kits well warrant a study and should hold their value seek other advice I only responded as you had just popped up and we all started some where .Good luck.
Rudyard

Welcome to the obsession , …um… hobby. I will ask is there any reason why you want a rifle with a barrel under 36" ?

That version of a full stocked rifle from Pedersoli, has a good rep for shooting well, but the lock tends to be small, and some folks don't like that. Further, the barrel is just too short for most people's aesthetics to call it a long rifle, myself included.
I think you should think about a Cabela's Blue Ridge Hunter in .50 or even .54, especially for deer and elk. https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersoli-Blue-Ridge-Flintlock-Rifles/1608552.uts They are plenty accurate, have a 39" barrel. and a large, forgiving lock. Now in your case, you might opt for the same rifle, but in .45 caliber from a different supplier https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11124446?fs=1 Not sure if elk would be on the menu with that size ball, but deer and smaller would be.

Now as to ammo, you will need round ball and patches for that rifle. There should be enough impact umph from either of those round ball calibers to get the job done. It's old tech and for the past couple of centuries has taken A LOT of deer, and small game. ;)

OH I almost missed this, the Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle, which is normally out of your price range, in a kit from Dixie Gun Works is pretty affordable. The kit is easy to finish, and while the lock is a smaller one, it's pretty good for a factory rifle. https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...li+Pennsylvania+Rifle+Kit+-+.50+Caliber+Flint It's sometimes nice to be able to get the rifle AND the necessary accessories all for under your budget for the rifle alone....

There are some quirks to these rifles, but they are easily mastered, so let us know which one you grab, and when you get it, we will fill you in from there.

LD

Last edited:
What's already been posted +1. Pedersoli is at the high end of factory produced rifles. I like the rifle but hate those tiny locks. .50 is a good caliber to start with and supplies are easy to come by. The "Blue Ridge" is a better rifle IMO and many others agree with that assessment. Find an EXPERIENCED flint shooter to help you with the basics.

Thanks so much for the advice so far gents. I think I will definitely go with the Blue Ridge as Loyalist Dave suggested for the extra barrel length. Looking to make the purchase sometime in the next week or so. I'm currently doing further research in the meantime and trying to absorb as much info as I can. I will definitely keep this up to date when I get the rifle and post any problems or quirks I may discover.

Thanks again guys for helping set me on the right path.

The Cabela Blue Ridge is an excellent choice my friend. For what you’ve described as far as deer or Elk? I’d definitely go with the .54 caliber when mentioning Elk. Flat trajectory, 224 grain ball which wouldn’t be a problem with either animal. I personally use 70 grains of Goex 3f, .018 patch, followed by a .530 ball for my load combination for range shooting. Hunting Elk, I’d probably up to 90 to 100 grain?

The Blue Ridge is very dependable. Has fast ignition. Weight is around 7 1/2 pounds. Takes a 7/8” flint. Has a 1:65 twist. Definitely designed for shooting round ball.

Extremely accurate if you do your part.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
A350D3DE-4715-42B0-AE50-876837440D54.jpeg C36AF72A-FED1-475E-9A45-51B9FD8B7DC3.jpeg FC2869F3-E02E-4A41-A6FC-BCC855ECCF0B.jpeg 6CA0F5D4-4FB9-47CD-ADD9-B83FBB8B03F0.jpeg D5B4722C-5366-4DD7-82CE-B175ACE71C0D.jpeg CD2CB6DD-9D55-4524-A072-7DF557BA1EFF.jpeg 59689D8B-42F8-4FC7-BEDF-DD098183F8A5.jpeg

Pedersoli Blue Ridge .54 Caliber

Welcome to the obsession! I suggest you read a lot of things here, like the flintlock shooting tips thread. Watch some you tube videos too, but beware that not all you tubes are worth watching.

Also be aware that practical range on these guns with RB's is about +/- 125 yards. The critical element in a good flintlock is a good sparking lock.

I suggest you get a new or used gun and start shooting it. What you get isn't as important other than it have a good lock and reasonably accurate barrel. If you are used to a 1 MOA group with cartridge stuff, you may be disappointed when you start shooting flint. The total elapsed time from trigger pull to ball exit is about 15x longer than with cartridge stuff, and can vary from shot to shot. It is MUCH harder (but more rewarding) to shoot tight groups with them, (and even cap guns are slower than cartridge stuff).

Start getting comfortable with the totality of whole BP/flint experience. It is a great deal more genteal pursuit than the suppository shooting stuff. Much more work both before and after the shot(s) too. Get REAL familiar with cleaning.

Once you get familiar, and decide you like it, you MAY decide (like many of us have) that NONE of the factory stuff looks the way it should, so you decide you want to go the custom route---buy or build yourself. Once you are in that deep, the only escape from it is your own infirmity. Or death.

Last edited:
Dear Col Batguano . You are only saying this because its true ! ,I couldn't put it better so I wont try. When he realey gets into the earlier stuff I might proffer a bit of advice . (I don't KNOW much, but I can talk fast ) .
Regards Rudyard

Greetings fellows,
Ive been wanting to get started in muzzleloading, particularly in the flintlock variant, for some time now. As a beginner, who has little to no prior experience in this field, it can seem kind of overwhelming; but very exciting at the same time. Im looking for something that is not only fun to shoot but also a reliable firearm for hunting small game, as well as being capable of taking down larger animals like deer and possibly elk. I really want a Kentucky Long rifle, I absolutely love the aesthetic of that piece and the history behind it. After doing some digging I found a Kentucky Long rifle by Pedersoli in 50 Calibre https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/ken...-cap-walnut-grip-model-s210-500.html?___SID=U
It seems kind of hard as a beginner, when looking for "old style" firearms, to see if a product is actually going to be up to snuff as it were, and a lot of websites that seem to sell flintlocks kind of look like scams and make me nervous about spending my hard won money there. Ive seen some people here talking about Pedersoli flintlocks and the reviews seem to be kind of mixed. If anyone here has experience with this particular firearm, what has your experience been so far? Does anybody have any suggestions on other brands of a Kentucky Long Rifle that are worth looking into? The price on the Pedersoli model is within my budget, as im trying to stay within the 800 dollar range, at the same time I do want a piece that will stick with me for years and years to come, so reliability and durability are also big factors. Any thoughts, critiques, or advice you guys have are more than welcome.

I also had a question about the caliber. Is 50 too much or not enough? My understanding is that most folks back in the 18th century had only one or two firearms that they would have used for everything; from hunting rabbits and birds, all the way to taking down deer. I am looking to get the same kind of utility from my firearm.

Another question I had, which may seem rather foolish, was concerning ammo. A lot of the ammo that I have seen for blackpowder rifles seems kind of "modern". Eventually I would like to get into casting my own, but until that time, what kind of ammo do you guys recommend? Is it ok to use a modern style 50 caliber "ball" in a flintlock like this?

Thanks so much for reading my rambling, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may throw my way.

Go on line Fire up your web browsers search engine and type in muzzleloading clubs in your state. you will probably find one
close to you. Most of us are a friendly bunch and would be glad to help out a beginner .

There is such a wealth of info here. Thanks very much for sharing. Ive been checking out some of the YouTube channels recommended by all of you guys here and watching as many videos as I can. I really appreciate all the help that you guys have offered. Ill be purchasing my rifle hopefully next week. :D

There is such a wealth of info here. Thanks very much for sharing. Ive been checking out some of the YouTube channels recommended by all of you guys here and watching as many videos as I can. I really appreciate all the help that you guys have offered. Ill be purchasing my rifle hopefully next week. :D
Welcome!
Am also a noob as far as BP goes. Am working on a threaded .41 flintlock Kentucky Rifle we picked up at a local antique dealer. I saw it and fell in love. Would like to shoot it this Summer. We shoot modern long and short arms at least monthly.
At least have a local BP expert @ a dealer we frequent. A wealth of knowledge.

If it's a new barrel it may need running in so don't be disappointed if it don't shoot to well at first. And while your waiting get some bees wax and melt some olive oil into it. Nothing better for keeping the fouling soft.
Will that "solidify"? Been thinking putting tin foil on a cookie sheer, then the wadding, brush it on both sides and let it cool. Cut up and put a few in a zip lock bag and go practice this summer. Have only found .395 balls, so will need a bit thicker cloth. The local Hobby Shop showed me where they have the cloth.

Cloth needs to be 100% cotton or 100% linen from flax. Your propellant needs to be real Black Powder.

Yes, the mix of olive oil and bees wax will solidify to soft grease like consistency dependant on the amount of oil. Use a double boiler to mix the wax and oil.

Now, tell us more about this rifle you found in an antique store. How old is it? Can you post a picture? How did you determine it was 41 caliber? Have you gotten an evaluation from your Black Powder expert? I would not recommend shooting this rifle until it is checked out. Yes, I am being very cautious. But we don't want you to be hurt and we don't want to see an antique muzzleloader come to harm either.

Will that "solidify"? Been thinking putting tin foil on a cookie sheer, then the wadding, brush it on both sides and let it cool. Cut up and put a few in a zip lock bag and go practice this summer. Have only found .395 balls, so will need a bit thicker cloth. The local Hobby Shop showed me where they have the cloth.
Taylor it to your requirements via the olive oil. I put mine in a shallow tin and just run the patches in it. No rules.

Cloth needs to be 100% cotton or 100% linen from flax. Your propellant needs to be real Black Powder.

Yes, the mix of olive oil and bees wax will solidify to soft grease like consistency dependant on the amount of oil. Use a double boiler to mix the wax and oil.

Now, tell us more about this rifle you found in an antique store. How old is it? Can you post a picture? How did you determine it was 41 caliber? Have you gotten an evaluation from your Black Powder expert? I would not recommend shooting this rifle until it is checked out. Yes, I am being very cautious. But we don't want you to be hurt and we don't want to see an antique muzzleloader come to harm either.

The store mgr contacted the owner and he said to let me check out the gun. No looseness in action, put a bore light in flash hole and bore looked good w/rifling crisp. Barrel stamped .41. My caliper said .4100"
The burl oak furniture is nice. Have been gently polishing the brass.
My "Expert" said the gun was definitely shootable, but we can wait till Summer when it's finished.
PC290099.JPG
PC290100.JPG

Back