• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pedersoli SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, picked up a new (to me) front stuffer. An older Pedersoli 20ga SXS. I have always liked the feel of a 20 ga double. That was dad's "Big Gun" when I was growing up, so have always had a soft spot for them. She is not quite as old as the flinters, but I really enjoy her. Am waiting on a 20ga fowler and will give a report when she arrives! Anyhow, she is pretty typical

P1000401_zpsy5fzkcod.jpg

Took her out for the first time today to patern and see how much misery I am going to be able to deal out bushy tails. I used a 50 Beowulf case which holds approx 65 gr of 3f and the same volume of mixed reclaimed shot (7's & 8's). I had no overshot cards on hand, but I happened across a piece of 1/2" black iron pipe in the shop that measured just over .60 ID. SO, I cut a piece off and sharpened the end and perfect card cutter!!

20160607_182337_zpsdvuawkyn.jpg

Also had a bit of luck. Dog came down the hall chewing on something. It was one of my old pocket pill bottles that was empty (thankfully). It fits the cards perfectly. It holds about 50 and they fit and dump out perfectly.

20160607_194314_zpsputni3vm.jpg

Used about a 3/4" ball of TOW for wadding with a dab of beeswax/olive oil (50/50), and one overshot card. Backed up to 30 yds and was still getting patterns that can kill a fuzzy tail, At 35yds, the full choke would kill a squirrel, the modified would be iffy. Just about what I expected.

Oh and finally, an action shot. That is my son. He is 6'8" and about 250, so the gun looks a bit small in his hands!! :grin: :grin:

20160607_145618_zpste9wrgcq.jpg

We are going to have a long and happy relationship, this little double and I. Looking forward to many days in the woods stalking the little beasties!! Will be working on more traditional kit as I go along also. Especially when the fowler comes in.

Doc

Very nice! And I love the ingenuity/happenstance is getting your loading gear arranged.

Your son makes that 20 look like a coach gun! I'll bet he's been an expensive fella to feed. :haha:

Doc,

I have the same gun, and she's great. What I do since I hunt with guys with modern guns and they whine something fierce when I do a "proper" SxS load as you detailed....I use military cartridges.

I make two types. For the powder, I use paper from an old, hardback book, and roll a cartridge that holds 70 grains [2½ drams]. I tear this open then then use empty cartridge tube rammed down and compressed onto the powder, as a wad. The shot is the other cartridge, made from newsprint paper, holding the same volume of shot as used to measure the powder. Only it's made to fit into the bore without trouble, and I push it down intact, holding the shot, onto the previously rammed and formed wad. Takes a lot less time. Works just fine on birds.

LD

LD,

Will definitely play with that some, although as I get older, I enjoy the whole procedure more than just running rounds through it.

Doc

That was a really nice find. From your description, I would guess that it is bored MOD and FULL. I have one of the newer 20ga Pedersoli's but mine is bored IC and MOD. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have my sincere attention. I've been holding out for a 20 SxS of another make, but after 20 years of looking, I'm starting to think that's a futile pursuit.

Have you checked for choke constriction? The version sold by Dixie has CYL/IC barrels, while I think most others I've seen were IC/MOD.

In either case, I'll be shipping it off to have the chokes bored out to CYL. No chokes for this kid! :grin:

Tonight after church I will try and see. I am almost sure you are right. My dad always said a dime will fit in a modified barrel, but not in a full choke. Kind of a country boy quick check. I bet it is mod/IC. Will post when I find out.

Edit to add, the cards were not that hard to fit into the more choked barrel either.

Doc

Best I can tell, they mic out about .622 and .608, so by my chart they are probably considered IC/mod, but I have found a couple of different charts that have different designations for the measurements.

Doc

You may not be able to find anybody to bore out the chokes.

Almost all the Italian guns have chrome plated bores that will ruin a reamer, according to what I have read.

I would buy a double Italian gun myself if I could get the chokes reamed out, and then jug choked.

smoothshooter said:
You may not be able to find anybody to bore out the chokes.

Almost all the Italian guns have chrome plated bores that will ruin a reamer, according to what I have read.

I would buy a double Italian gun myself if I could get the chokes reamed out, and then jug choked.

The chrome is waffer thin and won't ruin a reamer, I jug choked one my self and ignored the plating.

Unless you want a barrel for ball just leave it as is!

B.

Hi Brown Bear!

The chrome lined bores make opening the chokes tricky. Mine is cyc and mod. I suspect that the IC Mod designation comes from a misunderstanding.

Partly because 20 gauge Mod is only about .011 or .012 I can load through mine with no problem. It's like it isn't there. The only time I notice it at all is when running a tight jag through the bores to dry them out thoroughly when cleaning.

The Pedersolis are nice guns, although the 20's are just over 7 lbs.

Just looked at current prices, Yikes! I paid $650, but that was in 2006.

Ah, but then there's the principal involved. Guys get all freeky geeky about conical bullets, even if they leered their ugly heads out west long before the Civil War. Yet modern chokes are perfectly okay....

Latest posts

Back