• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Fowler in 20 bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochuck

Lifetime Supporter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Last spring on whim, I purchased a new single barrel Fowler in .20 b
Now to collect supplies.
The barrel is a smooth bore Rice 42" choke full with flint ignition.
While I new to flint I have hunted deer with a TC .50 percussion in the late 1970s-1990s
I have reviewed Sky Chiefs load data
Questions- suggested powder weight/volume and shot amount?
Thanks!
Jim

suggested powder weight/volume and shot amount?
This can depend a lot in the game you are after, and what the gun patterns well with. Any load data shared is subject to variability when tried in other people's guns.
So,,,,

My load for squirrels, pheasants, (I don't usually hunt rabbits but if I do I use this same load), and general small game (I might use smaller shot for things like dove or quail of we had them to shoot or if I knew I would onky be bird hunting pahtridge), is;
60ish grains 3f, thin card, lubed wad of some sort, 1 oz. #5 shot (usually in the shot cup/cartridges I have a tutorial posted about), topped off with another thin card. Again, might change things a bit if just hunting smaller birds like pahtridge or quail, I'd switch to 2f powder and #6 or even #7 1/2 shot, but keep my proportions about the same.

Turkeys, my load depends on which smoothbore gun I'm taking. Usually it looks like 75 grains powder, and 1 1/4 oz. #5 shot loaded Skychief style. One gun likes 3f the other likes 2f.

General rule of thumb for me is, if using volumetric powder measures for everything, I usually find myself loading around 10 grains more shot than powder,,,, roughly. 60ish grains powder/70ish grain measure of shot.

Screenshot_20221111-215630_Chrome.jpg

My experiences are the same as what brokennock posted. I only hunt clay birds.
My load is: powder, overshot card, wad, shot, a couple overshot cards with the edges slit so they go down easy.
1 1/8 oz shot, 70 grains powder is a stout load in a light gun. One ounce loads with 60 grains of powder is nice if I’m shooting a lot. Slightly less powder by volume works best for me.

Use the overshot cards for over the powder, they are easier to get past the choke, and you don’t need to buy two different type cards. If your barrel is jug choked then it doesn’t matter, you can use hard/nitro cards over powder if you wanted.

Sky Chief load is best for cylinder bore guns.

I used to ram it all down together, not sure why I stopped doing that. One thing I forgot to mention I have a short dowel to straighten out the over powder and shot card once it’s in the barrel so I can slip them through the choke sideways.
Have a trap meat shoot at the end of the month, I’ll try sending the load all down at once again. Might have been too hard to push down with the wood ram rod. But now I have a homemade 1/2 dowel “range rod” that should do it easily.

My load is fairly similar to above. Larger volume of shot to powder though I am using 2f with shot (may need more 3f experimentation). You will need to play around with it.
Not knowing the powder you have on hand, I would start with 50gr 3f or maybe 55 2f and load 60gr by volume of a selected shot. Pattern it and in the next load change ONLY ONE VARIABLE (yes I'm yelling). If you change multiple variables (powder, powder volume, shot, shot volume, wads or cards loaded differently changing the shot column) you will chase your tail.
I think it is good to work up 3 general loads: roundball, turkey, and small game. Your milage may vary.

One thing I forgot to mention I have a short dowel to straighten out the over powder and shot card once it’s in the barrel
This works pretty well for helping with that and building the load at the muzzle,
20230919_163330.jpg

It's just a button jag glued into a dowel then the dowel shaped to be comfortable to use.
I find pushing the whole load easier on my thin 5/16" rod than trying to push cards and such down fighting the trapped air pressure.

That Is a great idea! Thanks for posting that, I’m going to modify my dowel, I never would have thought to shape it.
I’m sure I have some extra 58 jags that should work perfect.

I use .58 jags in my 20 as the bore is a bit tighter than some. I've never hunted with shot when using this particular gun but have hunted quite a bit with prb. Accuracy is very good with prb and 3F loads from 60 grns to 70(ish). With shot I've gotten good patterns at 25 yards with 60 grains or a bit more. I use one of my stainless range rods with muzzle protector or the underbarrel wood rod.

This works pretty well for helping with that and building the load at the muzzle,
View attachment 254102
It's just a button jag glued into a dowel then the dowel shaped to be comfortable to use.
I find pushing the whole load easier on my thin 5/16" rod than trying to push cards and such down fighting the trapped air pressure.
That's a great idea! have to make me one of them while I'm waiting on delivery of my fowler. Very cool.

Last spring on whim, I purchased a new single barrel Fowler in .20 b
Now to collect supplies.
The barrel is a smooth bore Rice 42" choke full with flint ignition.
While I new to flint I have hunted deer with a TC .50 percussion in the late 1970s-1990s
I have reviewed Sky Chiefs load data
Questions- suggested powder weight/volume and shot amount?
Thanks!
Jim
Squirrels/ 60 gr. 2F , 1oz. #5 : Rabbit / mine are pretty close so I use up my manure shot #6 , 1oz. , 60 gr. 2F ; turkey 65 gr.2F , 1 1/4 oz. #4 ; deer patched round ball , 60 gr. 2F

Latest posts

Back