• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind watching The Revenant again, as I am sure there were things I didn't catch the first time. I'm not paying to see it in a theater again, but when it makes it to the boob tube, if I'm not doing anything better, I will watch it again.

I've never watched Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer. After finding and posting that clip above, I may have to watch it to see whether his axe-gun is cartridge or percussion.

WELL some people have their taste buds on the top of their tongue and some have them on the top of their b-m

True. I watch Jeremiah Johnson, Last of the Mohicans, The Mountain Men, Man In The Wilderness, Northwest Passage and Drums Along The Mohawk every time I get the chance. I would be willing to bet that many forum members here have the dialog to many of those movies down verbatim. I for one don't think I will ever bother watching The Revenant again.

The thing is about movies like Jeremiah Johnson, it had people you could like in them. People you wouldn't mind being like.

Jeremiah Johnson spawned a whole bunch of Grizzes and Bear Claws and who knows who else in a kazillion rondy's over the next thirty years.

So who cares if the depiction of the lives of free trappers therein was only distantly related to reality.

In The Revenant we learn that fur trappers were unwashed, dirty, ignorant, foul-mouthed and engaged in hard, unrelenting, unglamorous labor while stripping the West of its fur-bearing animals. In their free time they screwed around with depressed, alcoholic Indian whores in filthy, dismal saloons.

Golly, lets all go pretend to be THOSE guys.....

Good point Birdwatcher.. :thumbsup:

Saw it for the second time...5 dollar movie night...

Loved the guns,hawks and knives,clothes,overrun indian camp,beautiful views along the river.

This is how I would envision the fur trade- life style..Not for the timid.
Movie looked closer to reality( my perception) than any others I have seen..
How many of the members on this forum would survive in this environment today?
This is the first movie I attended in many years.best 5 bucks I've spent on entertainment in a long time.

I think it offers one way of seeing the MM time, and I think it was trying to be dark, much darker then real life.
Most of them didn't survive back then. Now a lot of the forum members are a bit long in the tooth. On average I think most of us would have done as well as average. As on average most of us are average, and average with seamen, miners setellers tayolers silversmith, fisherman ect.

That's what I thought until the scene of the woman being violated. I should have walked out at that point. I don't pay money to be entertained by that kind of garbage. Had I known. . .

Tenngun,

I agree - but still it has no place in entertainment even if it is depicted negatively. Just crosses some kind of boundary.

The rape/castration scene helped drive home the movie's theme that all Indians were good and all white men were bad.

GW

Well, the truth is that wouldn't have been considered rape in that time period. They had traded goods for her and they owned her, as far as that time period was concerned, and it wouldn't have mattered if they were French, Spaniards, Americans, or American Indians. That is just the way it was, unfortunately. Stealing women and selling them was something most of the tribes did regularly.

I didn't think they dwelled too long on that subject, but it was important to the end of the movie when Glass was spared because he had saved her.

They had to get their "R" rating somehow.

In The Revenant we learn that fur trappers were unwashed, dirty, ignorant, foul-mouthed and engaged in hard, unrelenting, unglamorous labor while stripping the West of its fur-bearing animals. In their free time they screwed around with depressed, alcoholic Indian whores in filthy, dismal saloons.

Golly, lets all go pretend to be THOSE guys.....

[/quote]
That actually sounds like my friends and I during a typical weekend outing! :grin:

Yes...thanks for injecting some reality. Fantasy is great...but the truth is that most of these characters people idolize would not have even liked you...much less want to spend time with you...and you probably wouldn't enjoy being around them.

This movie has no comic relief for the viewer...unlike most of the other movies...I still laugh just thinking about the skin grizz scene in JJ

They could have done things differently...they could have included a lot of other aspects of MM life that would have been great to see....but they only have 2 hours to tell the story. How much stuff ended up being cut from the movie...who knows...maybe there will be a "directors cut" down the road.

I will buy the video and add it to my collection...just to see some of those scenes that were so magnificently shot. I really don't know how anyone could complain about that opening fight scene. When that arrow went thud into the skull...I could almost feel it. It felt as real as any fight scene I have watched concerning a movie portraying this era....or any era for that matter.

Well there was a lot of bad about the movie, and I can channel my father and say movies aint what they were when I was young. However Gone with the wind or the somewhat cheesy Winterhawk had rape and abuse of women alluded to. The photography was over the top, artistic and graphic. As good IMHO as LOM or Saving private Ryan. I think the darkness of the movie unrelieved by any light hearted moments was its greatest failing.

tenngun said:
Well there was a lot of bad about the movie, and I can channel my father and say movies aint what they were when I was young. However Gone with the wind or the somewhat cheesy Winterhawk had rape and abuse of women alluded to. The photography was over the top, artistic and graphic. As good IMHO as LOM or Saving private Ryan. I think the darkness of the movie unrelieved by any light hearted moments was its greatest failing.
The darkness is what it was about. These were men in a hostile environment trying to survive. They didn't want to leave a severely wounded comrade alone, so I could understand why there weren't any light hearted scenes. Say what you will, I for one liked it. Was it over the top, sure it was. But like I said before.. It's Hollywood

Black Jaque said:
Tenngun,

I agree - but still it has no place in entertainment even if it is depicted negatively. Just crosses some kind of boundary.

Violence of any type is an individual boundary concerning entertainment. I know plenty of folks who just can't stomach any of it. For me...it should be relevant, in context, historically accurate, and well done. Many people can't watch movies such as Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Sophie's Choice, Clockwork Orange, The Passion....etc. Of course the list is varied and long in terms of subject.

Some folks can read violence but for some reason are more bothered by it on the screen. For me...the written word is as powerful as a movie....maybe more so. I just finished reading Drums Along the Mohawk....standard reading for most young men in America at one time. Contained within the incredibly well written pages are murder, rape, and sadistic torture. I am sure glad that it wasn't banned because of the content. The bottom line...everybody has different boundaries.

:thumbsup: I remember reading Pitcarin island by Nordolff and Hall. In the intro they apologized for the violence in the story. I was a young teen and it was the late 60s I was ready for excitement. Fact was it was less violent or graphic then tv shows I grew up watching.

Saw it this afternoon. I liked their market wallets. :grin:

Spence

Me and my 20 year old son went and seen it yesterday afternoon.

I want to start out by saying I think the language was just plain nasty. I do not believe that people in those times used the F word often as they would have been beat by others with high morals of which people in modern society do not have. I know that if I would have said something like that in front of my dad who was of the WWII era he would have knocked me out and that is how most people have been throughout history.

When we went yesterday my son did not want to see it and I wanted to see it really bad.

When it was over he loved the movie and I was disappointed.

That just goes to show how hype can mislead you. I was expecting too much and did not receive it so I was disappointed. He expected nothing and then realized it was entertaining so he liked it.

Its a good movie but its not great. I liked the new Star Wars better.

I mean my goodness. He is constantly wet in freezing weather and I never see him shiver. He also would have had frost bite. The movie just is not reasonable with reality. The man would have shut down one day one.

While I must agree, it was stretched in some areas, it depicts a lot of what would have been. On the other hand we can really believe in Storm Troopers, Jedi Warriors, Jabba the Hut and numerous characters on another world...

Astute juxtaposition. Difference being that we WANT the Jedi to survive, exact justice, and thrive. Leonardo? We all, sub consciously, want that evil to be extinguished, slowly, hopeless, in agony, alone if not tortured. See!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back