• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sidelock said:
Yep------ L&C and their men had a picnic every day. Read their journals.

No picnic as I read it. Some interludes of relaxaion and good food with friendly natives. But also much danger from the unknown and discomfort from the outdoors.

Claude said:
Native Arizonan said:
The movies we have liked in the past about the period tended to emphasize the hope for a better future and always had a some comic relief to take the edge off the drama. I always thought the Rocky Mountain fur trade years were good times, ...
Maybe this movie will balance out the Heston, Fess Parker, romanticized versions of life back then?

Don't forget to give the film maker the right to use poetic license, to tell his story. It may not be for everyone.

Absolutely true. But I was just saying that the story he was telling may not have been enjoyable for some people watching the movie. With Glass' visions of large mounds of buffalo skulls and attacks similar to Wounded Knee, be was not just focusing on the 1820s, but the 1870s, as well; which was not a fun time for everyone. Especially not the NDNs

Grumpa said:
Native Arizonan said:
Practically every person has some kind of endless stare, like they were enduring some kind of awful existence.... I always thought the Rocky Mountain fur trade years were good times, with some fighting from time to time, but basically the beaver was the creature that was really getting the raw end of the stick, while both the trappers and NDNs were doing pretty well. Lots of new toys and partying going on.

The classic "thousand yard stare" of the battle weary, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. These men had just been in a battle where most of their party were killed by the Arikara.

"Back then" may seem like "good times...new toys...partying" to us, but they were hard times to the men who lived them. There were no toys, but weapons on which your life depended. Most of your time and efforts even while hunting and trapping, were spent making sure no one was getting close enough to kill you.

The occasional rendezvous allowed for partying and letting off steam, because there were enough armed men and friendly Indians there to forestall any attack by unfriendly Indians.

Ten year after this event, Hugh Glass was killed by Arikaras. Not too bright a future. The Indians fared a lot worse.

As much as I enjoy your posts, I am going to have to argue this point. There was a lot besides guns, powder and lead that went west. There was lots of blankets, cloth, ribbon, beads, sheet metal, tacks, mirrors, scissors, needles, thread, yarn, pots, pans, ready made clothes, hats, shoes, traps, fish hooks, snare wire, and a number of other things not associated directly with killing people. Even the stuff that was associated with killing was most often used to make hunting easier and more effective; all of these things brought a higher standard of living to the mountains.

As far as the "thousand yard stare" I understand that, but I also understand that is not a constant frame of mind, even among the very stressed. Wartime soldiers and medical staff dealing with death on a daily basis seem to have time for humor now and then. It helps them deal with the otherwise dire situation.

That's a trueism. Even the most hellish places people can find joy in life. Even Jews in the death camps toasted to life with meager rations. I thought the movie darker then life. Meeks biography or Wah ta yah and the Taos trail is a collection of pranks fun interspaced with quick retellings of unpleasant thing.
As to things being bad for the natives, the natives didn't treat enemy people as well as we treated the Indians. Romans were a might rough on germans and celts, Vikings were a might rough on Englanders. The Aztec sacrificed an estimated 100,000 enemy each year for at least 20 years before the Spanish came. You never met an Illinoix because the Ottowa killed most of them off and the survivers scattered to blend in to other tribes.

I won't argue with the healing effects of humor, it is one of the most effective ways of preserving one's sanity. I, myself, am known to indulge, at times, my outrageous sense of humor. :grin: :wink:

And thank you, for the compliment. :hatsoff:

tenngun said:
You never met an Illinoix because the Ottowa killed most of them off and the survivers scattered to blend in to other tribes.

Lake Erie was named for a tribe exterminated by the Iroquois, and the list goes on.

Frenchman said:
:hmm: How much was based on fact and how much made up.

I think it was more a spin off of the Richard Harris movie, "Man in the Wilderness" with the scenes of the wife and kid. Glass was not out for revenge over the killing of any family member, but for being left for dead And the taking of his means of survival (knife and gun)

Now I did enjoy the movie and may see it again. We need more early American fur trade era movies.

On another note. Any of you familiar with Monty Python Flying Circus? This movie had a lot of traits of the Women's Garden Club reenactment of the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

poordevil said:
Frenchman said:
On another note. Any of you familiar with Monty Python Flying Circus? This movie had a lot of traits of the Women's Garden Club reenactment of the Attack on Pearl Harbor.

Now, that comment alone may spur me on to going and seeing it just to catch that. ROFLMAO :rotf: :haha:

Dx45r1i.jpg

i remember my grandfather talk of the old days " the old days . you could keep them ." I think livung in the older times was just harder to deal with. no matter what you had to do.

Yes I saw it when it first came out and I didn't like it but didn't especially hate it either. Thank goodness it wasn't the same kind of unwatchable carp as Jeremiah Johnson or The Mountain Men, etc. It could have been shorter or developed a more interesting plot better it seemed to me at the time, dragging on... The Hateful Eight seemed shorter and I saw that in a special viewing with a prelude and an intermission!

I do not get caught up in the specific gun details of a movie I am watching if they aren't blatant failures, sorry, but they did lose my confidence in the first scenes when the protagonist was loading powder from his horn. And then there's the antagonist whose mumbling performance needed subtitles. Do all uneducated, uncivilized, dirt bags (read: Mountain Men) and Sam Elliot have to have guttural twangs, and the more knuckles they drag the deeper it is!?

Spoiler Alert: the best part was the very end where we hear Leonardo finally breathing his last breaths astride the river Styx. Hallelujah! That was probably lost on most here even if they know what the title means but that's OK... I just hope The Director's Cut shows the actor in the throes of a well-earned (on our part) death; they can take as much time as they want with THAT scene as far as I'm concerned.

It has been mentioned several time with people not liking the fact that they saw powder loaded from the horn. Am I missing something? I realize we all know it as a safety hazard today but back then I'm sure many did not and even so in the heat of battle I would most likely do the same trying to reload as soon as possible.

I only get out to see about 2 to 3 movies per year.

I can't make any 100% judgement on this film because I have not seen it. With that being said, I feel like the Hollywood machine always has to throw some social message into there movies that reflect their current mode of thinking.

The original reason for revenge was for leaving Glass for dead and taking his goods wasn't it?

This is generally the primary reasons I would have reservations about seeing this film.

To me much of Hollywood is like the Lifetime cable channel now. If a movie on Lifetime does not display a woman getting jacked around by her husband, boyfriend, or some other guy, it usually won't be displayed on their network.

A social message is always touted in many Hollywood films these days, especially those they consider for Oscar considerations. Need more be said on that?

As for a remake of 'Jeremiah Johnson' I might welcome it, but for casting I can only think of one actor.

Gary Busey = Del Gue. Perfect.

I could see this guy sharing a plate of liver and onions over a campfire with Johnson with no problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back