• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Colerain barrel shooting left...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's his name Mike? I should know him. There arn't over 5 or 6 guys in the world who do that.
Besides, your shop never gets swept.

jerry huddleston said:
I'm sorry for coming back so strong. I let my ego get in the way at times.
About straightening barrels, I personally know guys that have bent them in a trailer hitch receiver and got them to shoot real good after a few corrections. However that is a matter of 1/2 skill and 1/2 luck.
At least up until about 1950 or so all barrels were straightened before they were rifled because the bore was judged by the reflection of a shadow in the bore. The shadow being produced by different methods.
After rifling you would not be able to see the shadow . When bending a barrel as described in the crotch of a tree the bender actually has no way of knowing where the bend really is or if it exists at all. The problem could be a tiny defect in the muzzle end or twisted flats. When faced with no other alternative , what the heck, anything goes. The real reason I am so persistent about such technical things is because when I was young I got all kinds of false information about stuff like this and it sometimes took me years to correct the false info I got from would be experts. I just hate to see any body else have to go through the same thing. I guess I’m fighting a loosing battle.
Jerry, I have bent barrels in crotches of trees for over 30 years now and rarely have to do it twice. You can feel the barrel give when it bends...it's a learned technique. I know of another excellent builder that swings barrels against telephone poles like a baseball bat, again excellent results.
Highest tech I have ever got to was two 4X4's at either end of the barrel and jumping up and down on it till it bent to where I needed it....again, no big deal. Folks make a much bigger deal out of this than they need to. It ain't rocket science. :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
jerry huddleston said:
What's his name Mike? I should know him. There arn't over 5 or 6 guys in the world who do that.
Besides, your shop never gets swept.
This is one of my imaginary employees..... :haha:

What can I say Mike? Your just a genius. I wish I could do that. Those shotgun barrels were off .010. I could have just slamed them against a telephone pole in stead of all manure I went through to straighten them. Next time I'll know better.

jerry huddleston said:
What can I say Mike? Your just a genius. I wish I could do that. Those shotgun barrels were off .010. I could have just slamed them against a telephone pole in stead of all manure I went through to straighten them. Next time I'll know better.
You're getting the idea now Jerry. It helps to pray alot and have God on your side too. :thumbsup:

jerry huddleston said:
I'm sorry for coming back so strong. I let my ego get in the way at times.

Not at all Jerry, I had it coming, it was a case of confusing someone else's post with yours, my fault. You have always had my greatest respect for both your ability and your talent and you always will. :hatsoff:

It looks to me like proof that the older type methods done by a country small town builder in the past would work as well as the best high tech straightening method of the time. I have seen the low tech method and have no problem with it, the nice press of Jerrys is fine as well if both give the same end results of putting the ball where one wants it. I do not see and conflict aside from one envolving a bit of ego, which is not uncommon here or anywhere else wherre a bunch of guys compare what and how they do things....back into my box now bye!

Back