• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Colerain barrel shooting left...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .54 rifle that shot far right, nice groups, but 9" to the right at 25 yards and a bit high. So I bent the barrel a bit at a time until the POI got to where I wanted it. I have won quite a few matches with that rifle. I recently helped a friend adjust the POI on his smoothbore the same way. It doesn't take a lot of barrel bending to accomplish what you need.

Many Klatch

jerry huddleston said:
Barrels are straightened before they are rifled. I know of no way to straighten a barrel after it is rifled other than just plain guessing.

Watch the video.
http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-training/module04/fir_m04_t06_04.htm
He presses the exact spot needs to make it straight.
If the barrel is not straight before reaming the chamber it may not be round and the barrel is then scrapped.

Complex barrels like those for a M1 Garand simply will not be straight after machining. Machining can even change bore dimensions. Krieger final reams and rifles them AFTER they are contoured for this reason, it makes a more accurate barrel. SFAIK no other maker does this.
Its impossible to straighten a barrel as a blank and expect them all to be straight after contouring.
Straightening has to be one of the last processes.

Dan

Many Klatch said:
I have a .54 rifle that shot far right, nice groups, but 9" to the right at 25 yards and a bit high. So I bent the barrel a bit at a time until the POI got to where I wanted it. I have won quite a few matches with that rifle. I recently helped a friend adjust the POI on his smoothbore the same way. It doesn't take a lot of barrel bending to accomplish what you need.

Many Klatch

I once had a very accurate rifle that had its barrel straightened in the crotch of an apple tree near Don King's shop in Big Timber.

Dan

Here is the link I failed to post after citing it above

http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-training/module04/fir_m04_t06_04.htm

jerry huddleston said:
I solved the problem. Buy Rice.

That is what I have been doing as well. I have a good stock of Rice barrels here waiting on me. I have 2-3 Colerains yet to use in a couple Jaegers, & then will be done with them.

Keith Lisle

And fortunately, thanks to the good recommendations from you Keith, I specified Rice barrels on the ones I've had built and every one of them is outstanding
:hatsoff:

Just my simplistic old man brain working but why spend your time here when a phone call to the barrel mfgr would get you a whole lot of good info and maybe a new barrel? Like I say I'm just a stupid old man so dont bother replying as I wouldn't understand anyhow.

Dan, that was how I straightened it :grin: . I figured that if Herschel House could do it so could I :rotf:

I can't tell you how many barrels were straightened in the crotch of the old mulberry tree behind the primitive line at Friendship. Since that tree died and was cut down we have had to make do with the corners of the log blockhouse.

It isn't rocket science and it doesn't seem to hurt any of the barrels on my guns. I have bent one too far and had to straighten it back a bit, but that is just part of the black art of making a muzzleloader shoot straight.

Many Klatch

Dan Phariss said:
Many Klatch said:

Many Klatch

I once had a very accurate rifle that had its barrel straightened in the crotch of an apple tree near Don King's shop in Big Timber.

Dan
That's how I bend all of mine. :thumbsup:

Bending barrels is/has been common practice with top quality builders for a long time do not be concerned about it just proceed with caution and go slowly....or aim to the right. The barrel bending nay sayes really do not know what they are talking about, check out the credentials of both camps... :idunno:

You are right Mike, as always. And Jerry, you should know better. Let's not forget that barrel straightening by bending is (or at least used to be) routinely done. That includes all of the gun barrel makers who care about their work. Here is the device used by the Springfield Arsenal:
http://www.forgeofinnovation.org/S...ar_I/Model_03_in_WWI/barrel_straightener.html

This illustrated gentleman was working on the production line for the '03 Springfield. He was following in a long line of barrel straighteners at both US Arsenals and contractors that made rifled arms for the US (and CS) governments and at Enfield and all of the barrel making shops in England and France and Prussia and on an on. Remington also used this process. As a matter of fact, here is the way it was done before the above device was brought over from European arsenals:
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/gallery3/index.php/RemingtonFirearms/album03/BarrelStraightener01

This above fellow was working for Remington and is shown using the method that the above older gentleman at Springfield probably learned to do there when he was young. A similar device is shown in use in a study of the Mauser factory in the 1930s is anyone cares to look for it. PM me and I will name the book where it can be found so you can look for yourself.

True, some of the methods described in this and other threads may seem crude, but they do work and have been used for centuries whenever a straight barrel was needed. They should be used today as well. Maybe Rice, Getz and all of the other current barrel makers should learn to do it and avoid headaches for themselves and their modern customers? To say that they don't need to at least check is the height of arrogance (or ignorance?) on their part and especially by those who feel their work is so superior to others but really don't know what they are talking about, they just use a barrel for shooting and don't know anything about the process of making barrels.

Why do people want to complain and doubt the process? :idunno:

Go ahead and throw stones, they don't bother me or anyone that knows it is sometimes necessary, even on a modern high "quality" barrel by their favorite maker. They all need it or at least they need to be checked for straightness. Good grief.
:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
or anyone that knows it is sometimes necessary, even on a modern high "quality" barrel by their favorite maker. They all need it or at least they need to be checked for straightness.

Maybe the emphasis should be on the sometimes.
Note I had originally said it should be the last thing tried, and to use a bit of fishing line to check for straightness. The user used glass-plate and found the not bent but twisted.

I don't think that many people would advise a user whose new gun is shooting low to just go ahead and bend the barrel. There's things you should do first.

Fred_D said:
I don't think that many people would advise a user whose new gun is shooting low to just go ahead and bend the barrel. There's things you should do first.

Of course not, check sights, breech bedding and all of the other things that the owner had already done. When it comes right down to, all custom barrels should be checked for straightness before they are sent out from the shop. If they are not straight then they should be done before they are sent to a customer. Obviously they are not, regardless of the maker. Straightening is at the highest level of the barrel maker's art and I suspect that few if any modern ML barrel makers are practiced in it, they depend on the quality of the material to make up for any problems and, maybe it usually does.

As far as the twisting mentioned, that is more than likely a external cosmetic problem rather than a bore problem.

I would like to know what you mean by saying I should know better. I do know better.
As far as barrel straightening goes I have my own barrel straightening press. It is the same as the ones used in Belgium for hundreds of years.

[img[http://jwh-flintlocks.net/barrel-straightener.jpg[/img]

barrel-straightener2.jpg

When you can match this then you can lecture me. These are made in my shop from scratch.
my-ffl-top-comp.jpg

That's great Jerry and thanks for showing us. I've followed your postings here and elsewhere and couldn't imagine that you, of all people, weren't aware of the process. I've always been a great admirer of your work and knowledge. Not to mention your unsurpassed ability.

I'm sorry for coming back so strong. I let my ego get in the way at times.
About straightening barrels, I personally know guys that have bent them in a trailer hitch receiver and got them to shoot real good after a few corrections. However that is a matter of 1/2 skill and 1/2 luck.
At least up until about 1950 or so all barrels were straightened before they were rifled because the bore was judged by the reflection of a shadow in the bore. The shadow being produced by different methods.
After rifling you would not be able to see the shadow . When bending a barrel as described in the crotch of a tree the bender actually has no way of knowing where the bend really is or if it exists at all. The problem could be a tiny defect in the muzzle end or twisted flats. When faced with no other alternative , what the heck, anything goes. The real reason I am so persistent about such technical things is because when I was young I got all kinds of false information about stuff like this and it sometimes took me years to correct the false info I got from would be experts. I just hate to see any body else have to go through the same thing. I guess I’m fighting a loosing battle.

Back