• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new 20 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well, I went and did it ... sitting in my basement is what started out as a very rusty .54 percussion barrel, which I bought in the knowledge that rust wasn't going to be a problem for long ... sent it off to Bobby Hoyt and

shaZAAM!!

a lovely new twenty gauge ... he said a few months, but I had it back in a few weeks, and everything good said of him is exactly for true: his work is fabulous!

in all probability, it will eventually end up as a flinter, to match its little buddies- -a fifty and a fifty four ...

so the 'dumb question' - can anyone give me a good starting load for this guy? probably looking at turkeys and maybe kwerl.

thanks!

Have played around through the years and found our own Spence's advice pretty spot-on. All muzzleloading folks need to check out is scribblings. Since I sometimes find the direct link does odd things, I'll recommend you Google "Bob's Black Powder Notebook" and enjoy. Spend some time reading there...one of the really great sources of info on our sport.

The quick answer is 60 grains FFFg for birds and small critters with 1 oz. shot. Up 10 grains powder and 1/4 to 3/8 oz. shot if they're coming over on oxygen. :thumbsup: this is with a 42 to 46 inch barrel, shorter barrels should give similar results. Turkey may require paper shotcups if you don't get good tight patterns. You'll only know by lobbing shot at paper! Good luck.

I use 70gr 3fKIK with a fiber wad over powder and card over the shot. Start with 60 gr 2or 3 f.
You gonna run on snowshoes with us at smugglers notch primitive biathlon?
Nit Wit

Hi, NitWit ... I'd like to, but I don't have 'primitive' snowshoes (just the regular flatlander kind with aluminum and plastic ... they work great, but don't look as cool) besides, I'm pretty out of shape and so poor a shot as I would no doubt embarrass myself and endanger passersby... and then there's the possibility of getting time off from the mill - right after hell is caused to freeze over by the flying pigs.

WesTex, thanks for the heads up on Bob's BP Notebook ... i'll look it up ... by the way, where is Bastrop county in relation to El Paso? (we lived there when my wife was stationed at Ft Bliss)

MSW said:
new twenty gauge
You'll love the versatility...and PRBs are practically as accurate as a rifle at typical shot distance ranges when hunting in the woods.
A terrific example of that versatility is I went squirrel hunting with a load of #5s one afternoon, in a place I'd seen the occasional deer. I still hunted around for a couple hours, picked off a squirrel, and ended up where I wanted to be an hour before dark.
I pulled the shot load, reloaded with a PRB deer load I'd brought along, and took a seat. Just before black dark a couple Does came out of the thicket into the oak flat, and I delivered one to a needy family.
So you might want to mic your bore, and if it's a a true .620", for what it's worth, .600" balls and .020" patches are very accurate in mine.

MSW said:
WesTex, thanks for the heads up on Bob's BP Notebook ... i'll look it up ... by the way, where is Bastrop county in relation to El Paso? (we lived there when my wife was stationed at Ft Bliss)
Think way east! Bastrop Co. is the one immediately east of Austin in Travis Co. One year my Mom got a call from one of her family friends from the ST.Louis area and told her their son was at Ft. Bliss and she should run by and see him some weekend. Folks lived south of Houston so Mom told her, "You're closer, you go see him!" Turns out Mom was closer but, if memory serves, it was like 30 miles. For all the noise Texans make, this is one lott'a driving to get across. Old timers used to go, "The sun is riz, the sun is set, and here we is, in Texas yet!" When we'd go to see Bev's family in Iowa, I always felt half way there when we hit the Red River...actually it's north Oklahoma near Tonkawa...just saying! Oh, how may times did you think, "Why the hell somebody call this place bliss?" :rotf:

Back