• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jake3008: Shotgun Info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks. We have a new member from Colorado interested in getting a smoothie. Jake, you said in your introductory post that you were new to traditional guns and that you were interested in a T/C New Englander. I know shotguns that fit our style are pretty hard to come by, and I don't know your financial position, but with you being new to these guns I thought I would pass on a little advice. In the event you can't find a New Englander, or another suitable smoothie for a reasonable price, There is a name that gets bounced around here quite often. Bobby Hoyt... Mr. Hoyt is in the business of customizing barrels at a more than reasonable price. So, just an option, you find a New Englander, a Renegade, or another model of T/C rifle used and pretty cheap, he can turn it into a shotgun for you. Then you have what we call a smooth rifle. A shotgun with rifle sights. You will need to find a T/C that has the one inch barrel that hasn't been drilled and tapped, and I don't think he will take it all the way out to 12 gauge, but I've heard tell that 20, 24, and 28 gauge is no problem. Just a thought because I know it can be frustrating looking for a traditional muzzleloading shotgun. If that looks like a viable solution just put his name into the search bar. His number has been posted here many times, and several guys here have had work done by him that were very satisfied. Me? Never met the man myself but am planning a project for re-bore and he is the guy I will be calling. And, sometimes from what I've heard, you can buy that used rifle, pay him to bore it, and still be cheaper than a shotgun off gunbroker. Just food for thought... Happy hunting. Our turkey season starts in the morning. Guess I better go get my stuff together...

Howdy folks. We have a new member from Colorado interested in getting a smoothie. Jake, you said in your introductory post that you were new to traditional guns and that you were interested in a T/C New Englander. I know shotguns that fit our style are pretty hard to come by, and I don't know your financial position, but with you being new to these guns I thought I would pass on a little advice. In the event you can't find a New Englander, or another suitable smoothie for a reasonable price, There is a name that gets bounced around here quite often. Bobby Hoyt... Mr. Hoyt is in the business of customizing barrels at a more than reasonable price. So, just an option, you find a New Englander, a Renegade, or another model of T/C rifle used and pretty cheap, he can turn it into a shotgun for you. Then you have what we call a smooth rifle. A shotgun with rifle sights. You will need to find a T/C that has the one inch barrel that hasn't been drilled and tapped, and I don't think he will take it all the way out to 12 gauge, but I've heard tell that 20, 24, and 28 gauge is no problem. Just a thought because I know it can be frustrating looking for a traditional muzzleloading shotgun. If that looks like a viable solution just put his name into the search bar. His number has been posted here many times, and several guys here have had work done by him that were very satisfied. Me? Never met the man myself but am planning a project for re-bore and he is the guy I will be calling. And, sometimes from what I've heard, you can buy that used rifle, pay him to bore it, and still be cheaper than a shotgun off gunbroker. Just food for thought... Happy hunting. Our turkey season starts in the morning. Guess I better go get my stuff together...
That’s some awesome information! I’ve got my eye on a couple right now that I’m watching at the moment but I will definitely keep Mr. Hoyt in mind if nothing works out. I definitely agree that finding a muzzleloading shotgun is pretty difficult. They don’t seem to come up too often and usually when they do they are asking for the moon on them. I don’t think I’ll make it out to do turkey this year with a smokepole but that’s ok as it gives me plenty of time to settle in to it and work up some loads which seems to be the most time consuming part but that’s the part of the fun of it. Thanks for taking the time to make this!

Back